• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Sensory deprivation tanks + drugs... Any experienced users here?

Snafu in the Void

Moderator: NMI Bukowski Jr.
Staff member
I am very interested in going into a floating sensory deprivation tank... Sober or with drugs. If I did it with drugs it would probably be very low dose LSD or low dose edible cannabis. Considered ketamine as well....

Any of you crazy freaks ever done a float tank?

VERY curious. Seems like the ultimate inform of meditation.

If you have no idea what a float tank is there's an episode hamilton morris did on it on vice. Also joe rogan is a big fan.

Not yet but I've tried just floating in the bath tub on dxm with the lights off and with ear plugs in. Just felt weird at first but eventually I was floating off both into myself and out into the universe. It got really interesting when I took a couple big hits of marijuana, thc really adds something special to the dxm experience especially when immersed in CEVs. This was like 20 years ago though so I don't remember much from the experience but I'd definitely like to give a proper sensory deprivation experiment a try sometime while on psychedelic + dissociative + marijuana.

I wanted to try the float tank but all of them near me are currently closed do to Coronavirus. I've seen some plans for building one that don't seem too expensive but I just don't have the time right now for it. Entry level tanks are going for about $28k last I looked.

This probably isnt the response you're looking for but I like to have a float in a sensory deprivation tank for 30mins prior to tripping .
I've found that it dramatically helps with putting me in the proper mental and emotional state for a psychedelic trip.
I dont think I'd like to take any substance before going in though, in fact I've found that even a 60 min float for me while sober begins to become less effective ( after 30 mins I begin to feel claustrophobic and the relaxing effects diminish-for me anyway ymmv).
Also, physically the Epsom salts in the water tank make me feel extremely good for about 48 hours but I also have an inflammation disorder and that may be why I feel such relief from the Epsom salts.
I personally would not reccomend taking any drug before a float but thsts me...also, the only places that offer such things where I live are quite expensive and charge by the half hour.
It would also be logistically awkward to have to get out of the tank, shower, get dressed, and make your way out of the business without looking and acting completely fucked up then having to arrange transport home or public transportation...seems like it would be nightmarish for someone like me unless I had my own tank in my house...that would be a different story!

I personally would not reccomend taking any drug before a float but thsts me...also, the only places that offer such things where I live are quite expensive and charge by the half hour.
It would also be logistically awkward to have to get out of the tank, shower, get dressed, and make your way out of the business without looking and acting completely fucked up then having to arrange transport home or public transportation...seems like it would be nightmarish for someone like me unless I had my own tank in my house...that would be a different story!

Hey man can you tell me how much they charge per half hour? I tried calling local places to get a quote but they're all closed and don't list anything about price on their websites. A friend and myself want to go try this as soon as they open back up.

Hey man can you tell me how much they charge per half hour? I tried calling local places to get a quote but they're all closed and don't list anything about price on their websites. A friend and myself want to go try this as soon as they open back up.
The place I go to charges $50 for a 30 min session and $70 for a 60min and 80$ for a 90 min float.
Plus tax where I live...so yeah ouch!!
The first time I went I got a gift certificate as a xmas present so I was like what the heck let's try this out!
I did 60 mins because thsts whst my gift certificate covered and it was WAY more awesome than I expected but like I said in my earlier post...its impossible to keep track of time or to even know how long you've been in there so during my 60 min float (what felt like it was towards the end or at least it felt like I'd been in there for a long time) I felt like I wanted to get out. Sort of like claustrophobia.
So I decided that 30 mins is perfect. And it has been ideal everytime for me thus far. If I'm able I try to book a float before I ever trip ... it seriously makes me feel just extraordinary for about 2 days. In fact the reason I recomend against taking anything before the float is that I actually feel so bloody relaxed and my balance is kind if off from floating fir half an hour that I'm a little "off" just from the float for the next 30 mins coming out if the tank and showering, getting dressed and then driving home actually requires extra concentration because I just want to lay down .
This is the perfect state to take drug for me though, total body, mind and emotional relaxation which is a state I'm almost never able to achieve simultaneously. Honestly, going for a float does that for me but I also only do it a few times year ( I only trip every few months usually).
I imagine if I went for a float every day or even every week it would loose its magic and become "ordinary " just like anything done in excess. But I honestly cannot express how good a short float feels for me every few months.
YMMV!!!
But yeah, I HIGHLY suggest trying a 30 min float, getting some really delicious but not too heavy take out food and dropping in the comfort of your home or in a beautiful spot in nature... it's been a psychedelic game changer for me personally...vastly enjoy my trips more after a good soak in the tank!

there a film altered states that's trippy AF he uses psychedelics and floataion devise I'd watch on come down trip, I i knew how to float id love to try, ( everyone said is easy I still can't do it I suck at swimming I would die in strong current, still be fun to try

Not yet but I've tried just floating in the bath tub on dxm with the lights off and with ear plugs in. Just felt weird at first but eventually I was floating off both into myself and out into the universe. It got really interesting when I took a couple big hits of marijuana, thc really adds something special to the dxm experience especially when immersed in CEVs. This was like 20 years ago though so I don't remember much from the experience but I'd definitely like to give a proper sensory deprivation experiment a try sometime while on psychedelic + dissociative + marijuana.
I read about some poor guy who did this his bathtub and OD'd on ketamine because he drowned :(

there a film altered states that's trippy AF he uses psychedelics and floataion devise I'd watch on come down trip, I i knew how to float id love to try, ( everyone said is easy I still can't do it I suck at swimming I would die in strong current, still be fun to try
You do not have to know anything about swimming...most tanks are filled with around 800lbs of Epsom salt which means you are buoyant as fuck...that's why it's called floating -you cannot sink.
If you can lay perfectly flat on your bed when your in bed then you do a sensory deprivation float.

Yea how saturated is the water? Can one be down at home in the tub if enough epsoms is acquired? Buy myself a couple 50lb bags and be set :)

-GC

Yea how saturated is the water? Can one be down at home in the tub if enough epsoms is acquired? Buy myself a couple 50lb bags and be set :)

-GC
No idea what the exact ratio of water to Epsom salts is but the other major factor is that when your in the tank you cant see or hear anything except the water splashing as you move so to get the full effect your need to somehow recreate that in your bathtub...I feel thst in a bath tub your be bumping the sides which would be distracting also if you put something over your eyes and ears that would also be too distracting to get into a meditative/disassociated state.
The lack of stimulus and the relaxing effect physically from the Epsom salts both contributes to to relaxed state I get.
I dont think you should be wearing anything at all even a watch or swin suit and you tend to float in the middle of the tank so you dont bump into the sides of it as you float.
I always drift off into a semi conscious state where I'm unaware of my body or time . It's just mental imagery after a while of relaxing and getting used to the tank.

Last edited:
The idea of the Epsom salts is to make the water more dense, allowing you to float more easily. With this in mind it should be easy to find a "working solution."

Have fun ! And watch this educational guide so as to not make the same mistakes...

I've had extended periods in a float tank - 6+ hours. A bath is no good as you touch the sides and that introduces sensory input.

I've only ever had a joint and used the tank, I never had access to it when I had any other substances and would dearly love to have gotten a chance with a tank and some MXE or liberty caps. I think the fact that after a period in the tank you loose sense of where your body ends coupled with a psychedelic would be amazing.

If you are looking for a tank you could contact float companies that may have some old decommissioned tanks they could sell cheap. Failing that you can build yourself one for a couple of thousand pounds/euro/dollars.

I've looked into building one but it is beyond me, there is plenty of instructions online.

Concerning drug use in float tanks: I've heard stories about someone dying while floating because they did K. So anyone planning to do this should be careful. I don't think I'd want to float in a public tank while tripping. A private tank would be a different story. I can see the appeal of K while floating. Mushrooms might be nice too. The most I'd want to use in a public tank would be cannabis edibles. MDMA might be fun to try too if you're like me and enjoy it in non-social environments.

WTF? I assumed it was maybe a few hundred bucks... oh are you talking about making one?

That's the price for buying a tank for your own home. It goes up from there. The company I was looking at would build you an entire room if you're willing to pay for it. It included a shower and area outside of the tank. Basically it's a small bathroom with a door on the wall to enter the tank. Some of the tanks have LED lights and speakers on the inside of them. Building them from plans looks to be the way to go if you aren't rich. Here are the plans I saw: https://www.floattank.net/diy-sensory-deprivation-chamber/

Building or buying a tank is just the initial cost. Buying the Epsom salt to fill it with and everything you need to keep the water clean is an on-going expense. I've seen Joe Rogan's tank and I'm sure he paid over 50k for it and spends a lot of money on maintaing it.

The appeal of owning a tank is the fact that you can do it whenever you want for however long you want. In addition you don't have to worry about floating in someone else's funk. They say public tanks are very clean but I don't trust them to clean them properly between customers. A lot of places say they use chlorine to keep the water clean but people say that distracts you because you can smell it the entire time you're floating. I hate the smell of chlorine so I'm sure it would really bother me while floating. I'm actually looking into having our pool converted over to salt water because the chlorine bothers me so much.

The place I go to charges $50 for a 30 min session and $70 for a 60min and 80$ for a 90 min float.

That's not as high as I was expecting. Hopefully COVID-19 scare passes soon so I can try this out. I'm interested to see how this will work for pain because most of my pain is centered in my joints. I've been swimming and using the hot tub a lot to deal with it. I'm hopeful that floating would work even better.

I've always wanted to try a mescaline session in a sensory deprivation chamber, but the opportunity has never presented itself. Then again, I'm somewhat claustrophobic so the warm, loving feeling of mescaline might not be enough to prevent a total freak out. Still, I'm very curious of what the experience would be like.

Wanted to try it since hearing Joe Rogan talk about it on his podcast. Thinking of having an edible or some shrooms and trying it out when I'm back in the states. Hopefully, I don't freak out and look like a dumb fuck anyone know of a good place in northern California im not to far from Sacramento.