• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Seeking responses to my GP's [fast] benzo tapering plan

DementiaSavantPlus

Bluelighter
I posted this in the Benzo Buddies forum and didn't get any responses at all for some reason, so I am going to post it here.

Quoting myself...

Hello all,
I have been slowly tapering off of gabapentin for the past few months. (I have gone from 1500mg to 900mg thus far, and the plan asks for a 300mg reduction every 2 months).

I have been on gabapentin since 2008, and to deal with the interdose withdrawal symptoms that I now experience, I had turned to using benzo analogues that are attainable through the internet (not the greatest solution I know).

My last benzo of choice was clonazolam, which is a monster that is quite active at 0.25mg. I have been doing this off-and-on over the past few months. Off-and-on is key here, as I withdrew several times during the period and had one seizure. (clonazolam is notorious for discontinuation-related seizures even more so than most benzos.) If I had been taking it continuously, it would be a much different story in terms of the severity of my withdrawal.

My last dance with clonazolam was a virtual disaster (memory impairment/behavioral issues) and after a couple of days undergoing moderate withdrawal (CT after a few days of heavy use), I decided to go through the proper channels and have my doctor offer me a tapering plan, which I allowed her to devise herself. (Doctor's don't appreciate too many suggestions from patients when it comes to their practice.)

This is it:
CLONAZEPAM
0.5mg TID 4 days
0.5mg BID 4 days
0.5mg 4 days
0.25mg 4 days

I am on Day 4. I am feeling normal and the WD symptoms have disappeared.

Any opinions on this plan? Is this what they call a typical "rapid taper?" Should I modify it at all? Actually the only thing I would do is spread the end out and have a couple of days of 0.125mg once per day. Would this make a significant difference, given the long half-life this particular benzo?

And of course, the obvious question is: Based on personal experiences, will my WD symptoms simply reemerge when this regimen is completed? I ask this because I know this is a very quick taper.

Thanks everyone!

Addendum/update: I now have reached the final days of the taper, and I have to admit I fucked it up and didn't execute the reductions properly. I am hoping the overall low dosage (compared to the high clonazolam binge dosages), along with the long half life will be enough to not invite a harsh acute withdrawal. Is this false hope? I would really not want to resort to obtaining diclazepam or flubromazepam (both I have used in successful and fast tapers). I want this benzo thing to end, but I will not endure suffering if I can help it.

You should contact your doctor about extending your taper and admit your screw up if necessary. The taper was initially meant to get you off of benzos safely, not comfortably. The days of liberal prescribing are quickly becoming extinct and even receiving a handful of Klonopin could be considered gracious. If you can't get an extension it would be wise to be observant of any symptoms of impending seizure like tremors, confusion, I'm sure you know the drill having experienced one. If you do present with a high blood pressure and pulse rate at the ER you might obtain another course of meds to taper with but def not worth the trouble unless you are showing signs of trouble. Hang in there..

I am afraid that an extension from this doctor will not be possible. I am going to wait it out and keep an eye out for that seizure "aura" that I am sure I can recognize. Thanks a lot for the response.

Strangely enough, my blood pressure was very low when I went into the doctor's office while still in withdrawal.

Also, since I am not feeling any effects that could be classified as recreational with these dosages, is it safe to say that I will be okay? They are basically making me feel normal, not sedated at at all. But I do sleep very well.

What I percieve to be interdose withdrawals are causing me to dose a little more frequently than the doctor advised. I could be experiencing what is known as "tolerance withdrawal" or "relative withdrawal."

That is a good sign but you will most likely have to wait till the 36 hour mark to determine how far off baseline you are. Another aspect is that benzo withdrawal is not always linear and can have an ebb & flow type of pattern as the clean days continue to stack up. Post back with an update at the 36-48 hour point if you feel like it.
And dam, you made it off of 10-20 grams of Phenibut per day? This should be a breeze..

Update: I am over 100 hrs. away from my last dose of clonazepam. I lacked the discipline follow the tapering plan below the consumption of 2 x 0.5 mg tablets per day (for 2 or 3 days).

Over the 100 hrs., I experienced only a portion of the spectrum of withdrawal symptoms: rebound anxiety, muscle aches. They seemed to have all cleared away now.

I have fortunately not lost any amount of sleep and, perhaps prematurally, have considered myself healed for this reason (since lack of sleep is the most bothersome and mentally damaging symptom of withdrawal for me.)

In all honesty I do have some residual cravings for benzos, but they are at this point more difficult for me to obtain and I have also become busy with other (work-related) things.