• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Seeking Help Dealing w/ Harmful Alcohol and Benzo Use

Bad Manners

Greenlighter
Hello all,

This is my first posting. I have been a drinker since my teens (I'm 30 now), but in the last five years it has gotten very bad. I typically have a few beers in the morning before work, will drink a little more than a half-pint of whiskey or sometimes even Baccardi 151 in my car over lunch, and then come home to six more beers and maybe a little more whiskey at night. This has been going on for some time. It's not a daily occurrence, but a very frequent one. I have (for now) a very stressful job with a three hour commute and felt trapped in my life. I would drink for my anxiety until it started to get incredibly worse. I did not know why at first.

I went to an urgent care and was prescribed .25 xanax, which like a miracle at first, but the drinking continued and so did my anxiety. I began to have severe withdrawal symptoms: shaking and convulsions, hot/cold sweats, insomnia, lack of appetite, impairment of cognition and motor skills, etc. That's when I did some research and discovered what the problem was. I went to a doctor who prescribed me Klonopin. I took it for a few days, but it gave me horrific night terrors, so I stopped. Despite that, after several days, maybe a week, of abstaining from booze, I started to feel normal again. Then the Holidays rolled around and I started drinking again.

Everything was fine with that until one night I polished off most of a 750 miles bottle of whiskey and a 40. Felt fine after I finished the whiskey the next morning. Hours later I had to have my girlfriend take me to the hospital where I was given an IV with fluids and Atavan I believe. They also gave me a script for Xanax .5. and two .25s at the hospital.

I took a .5 when I picked up my script last night. I didn't bring me relief like when I had taken it the very first time back at the urgent care, despite taking a larger dose. Spent all night last night throwing up. Didn't want to drink any while on Xanax. I took another. 5 this morning and two more in the afternoon when that had no effect (other than causing immense pain in both my feet.)

The benzos seem to have an adverse effect on me. I think I want to try to ween myself off the alcohol with the help of healthy foods, vitamins, and Gatorade. I know this will be hard, but keeping my girlfriend of 9 years whom I love very much, and potentially losing my source of income are more important to me than to keep abusing.

Sorry for the lengthy post. <no worries brother! this is what we're hear for <3>

TL;DR I was hoping someone could tell me when I can start this regimen? As I said, the last Xanax I had was two .5mg around 2:30 pm. I know it has a half-life of 11 hours, so 2:30 or later the following day should be ok right?

Thanks for listening to my diatribe. Any advice or firsthand experience would be greatly appreciated. Take care of yourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, welcome to BL! Feel free to check in with the New Member Introduction forum.

I created your own thread for what you're dealing with, to help you get more feedback related to your specific needs. I also edited your post for readability.

I have no doubt you will get some good feedback from members more knowledgable about gabaergic substances than I.

[mention]Moreaux[/mention]​