• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Second time round

Jbl993

Greenlighter
Hey guys. This is my second time withdrawing from opioids and definitely plan on it being the final. I have been hooked on oxycodone for an injury and when that source ran out, got sucked into the codeine hole as in Australia it is very easy to obtain moderate amounts of it OTC (until 2018). Regardless, this addiction has ruined a relationship I was in, made me leave my job and caused many other detrimental impacts on my life. I'm sure you all umderstand the content feeling it gives you, which was like making a deal with the devil. I'm into day 2 (almost 3) of my detox and almost broke today but instead of going to get more I called the opioid treatment centre anf spoke with a clinician. He gave me advice and my question is whether suboxone would be worth a try or just stick it out the next couple of days.

Stick it out brother! That's like treating a paper cut with chemo. I'm not at all down playing your addiction because I understand how very real it is. But I think you'll have a harder time coming otf subs.

Just my .02

Hang tough
Sixx

Welcome to BL, Jbl!

It's pretty hard for us in cyberland to say whether suboxone would be helpful for you. How much to do you like/trust the doc who recommended it? If he or she knows you well and if you trust him/her, my inclination would be to consider it seriously.

Whatever you do, my main recommendation is to do it 100%. You don't want to throw half-measures at an opioid addiction, especially given how destructive the experience has been for you. The truth is, getting off dope (and its cousins) is serious, hard business. You can absolutely do it! Don't get me wrong. My recommendation is simply that you prepare yourself psychologically for a real challenge... that will maximize your chances of success, and will mitigate the likelihood of too many stumbles/setbacks as you figure out what recovery means to you.

Whether you chose to use suboxone, or if you continue cold turkey (or if you try something else), you can absolutely do this!
Sim

Day 3 now (almost 4). Went to brazilian ju jitsu last night and sweat out a tonne and also got a massage today. My lord has it helped, I understand it is probably only temporary, but I don't have that feeling of my skin streching off my body and the sweats are minimal to none. For joint pain, particularly in my knees, I have just grabbed some advil and using hot baths. For the nights I managed to get some valium from a clinician. Minimal script, but helped alot last night with the consistent thoughts of scoring. I'm sticking cold turkey, I think I can get through it. Thanks guys for the support this forum has been a great help. Start a new job in 5 days, so hopefully the worst is behind by then.