• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

School seeks to forfeit 100-0 win

If the team that won 100-0 was fighting for a top seed in state finals, they should have run up the score. But they weren't. They are a Christian school that is trying to do the Christian thing now, by forfeiting the unsportsmanlike win.

And truth be told, there isnt really anything to Christian about Sports.

this is total bullshit. the coach should be fired. what a complete lack of sportsmanship.

Actually the coach was fired.

Also, the other team wasn't "mentally challenged" as someone said above in the sense that they're stumbling around drooling on themselves. They have like dyslexia and stuff, hardly the kind of thing that's going to prevent you from playing basketball.

I kind of agree that this is ridiculous but I don't think it warrants trying to offer a forfeit and firing the coach.

In sports if you're winning by that much it is kind of time to slow down a little bit otherwise you're just being arrogant. If you're winning by that much then you should take that opportunity to go for some slam dunks or something that offers a significant challenge to the point that the other team has a chance again.

Playing like the game is on the line all the way up until the end buzzer when you're up 100-0 is kind of mean.

Cause you are gonna "hurt their little feelings"

If you are intimidated easily dont step in the ring.

The coach didnt point and laugh at the kids,that would have been wrong. They played their game and walked off.

Beat the mothers cried about this more than the kids.

I don`t see what the big deal is, it`s organized sports, you play as hard as you can. Both teams come in to it and give it their all. Someone wins and someone loses. I used to play baseball when I was younger, sometimes we got our clocks cleaned sometimes we were the ones kicking ass. Regardless we always played the hardest we could, it kept us sharp for the next game.

I play division 1 baseball and i have been a part of many lopsided scores.. Here is how i see it:

Your job as a team is to prepare for every game, and play as hard as you can. Its not your fault the other team doesn't score a single point. It is their job to stop you, and it is their job to score their own points. Why would one team stop scoring and stop playing their game because the other team is terrible? That is not their fault, they want to get better every game they play, and by giving up in the middle of the game, they are not bettering themselves.

As for the team that didn't score, you need to do something because its hard to not score a single point in a game. It your job to be prepared for whatever team steps into the gym. Study them, be ready, and understand your opponent. Don't play them if you feel you will get embarassed.

I have been a part of many baseball games where we won 30-0. We never stopped because it wouldn't make us better to "try to get out". Also, in sports there is crazy comebacks, and you always want to win. Play hard and who cares what the fans and parents think.

Play at your level, not the other teams level... If that means your way better than them, them beat them into the ground.

this is dumb, you can't just say "lol sorry for winning here we feel sorry for you, have this:)"

it almost seems even more arrogant than the 100-0 blowout to me

It makes the coach a douche. He didn't technically do anything wrong but when you are comfortably ahead you use the chance to put in your less played worse players so they can get experience and to give the other team a chance. It's win-win and courtesy.

Was it a courtesy for the other team to ask you to degrade you game to a level that is not your own??

Actually here's something rather intresting a point, to me anyways.

When we do combat training in the military,most of us want that all. When we spared we wanted our weaknesses exposed so when it mattered, we knew what needed to be fixed for when it matters.

its a competitive game the other team suckd they let the other team score 100 points why forefit a win because you were highly superior to the other team maybe next time match up in divisions or something like that to keep this from happening again.

Was it a courtesy for the other team to ask you to degrade you game to a level that is not your own??

No you just put your less played players in so they can get experience and the other team can score some points. You're not letting the other team win. It teaches good sportsmanship and is traditional in kids sports.

Jesus I hope you don't have children or coach kids because your sportsmanship kind of sucks.

This is a high school sports match... One of the schools seemingly had a much larger population to choose from, so the ones actually interested / good at basketball were chosen.

Dallas academy has 20 people to choose from, 8 of which are in the team, it seems like something a teacher decided to do as a team building exercise or something, not so they could bust some ass... There are often teams like this in australia, where they play but it is generally accepted that when we play against them, we play purely for fun, and will give advice and it's a friendly match.

If all teams do this to that team, there is no disadvantage to doing it, because point differentials wouldn't matter.

Yeah pullstring, in the Marines it could be a matter of life or death, in a girls highschool basketball team, I don't think the very small performance gain from not going 100% against one team one time is going to be a massive issue.

Sports (until professional, but even then) should be first and foremost FUN. It's like when i used to play tennis against my brother, i would still win, but rather than smashing his volleys i would place shots where i thought they would challenge him to become a better player, smashing them would merely dishearten him and reduce his incentive to play and get better..

EDIT: Yeah really should answer the OP's question- no i don't think they should have forfeited, they should have apologised to the other school (maybe) and let the matter die without a whole bunch of media coverage on Dallas Academy's performance at basketball.

No you just put your less played players in so they can get experience and the other team can score some points. You're not letting the other team win. It teaches good sportsmanship and is traditional in kids sports.

Jesus I hope you don't have children or coach kids because your sportsmanship kind of sucks.

High school is not a kids sport. At the high school level you should really get over sheltering your kids and start letting them learn.

And putting in the less played players?? So now they get rewarded for underachieving. You wanna be a starter improve the game.

I started second string FB in football. I didnt like it. within the first 2 games I took over starter cause I WANTED it!

And your worse fears are reality....I have 2 girls.