• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Scalp/Head Tingling

DeathIndustrial88

Bluelighter
Hi
I recently went on a binge with a crappy bag of what I thought was m-amp. And it may have been but it was mostly white powdery stuff, barely any crystals.

I mostly stuck to IV, plugging and intranasal.

A few days in I started noticing a tingling in the back of my head on the left side. If I rubbed my hand past the back part of my head, it would tingle. Almost like one of those chills you get when listening to a good song, except it was localized to that one spot of my head. It was not a pleasant tingle really either though, but it wasn't painful either.

It also sort of felt like I had a knot in the left side of my brain or something. I became extremely consciously aware that I was two halves of a brain working together in tandum, except I could feel something was off with the left side. Very subjective and hard to explain.

After eating and sleeping some, it felt like it would go away, but as soon as I would try even the tiniest bit of this stuff, the tingling came back right away.
I started to become incredibly sensitive to loud sounds and light. And the tingling started moving from the back of my head and into the side and my lower left jaw.
I also started having pressure on both sides of my head and actually thought one night that I was about to die or that it was some sort of blood clot or mini-stroke.

I ceased my use and have gotten plenty of sleep now. It seems to have gotten better, no permanent damage as far as I know. The tingling & pressure has mostly subsided. I some times feel a residual tingle if I turn my head wrong or press on certain parts of my neck or head. But it is no longer constant like it was there for a few days.

My question is, what happened to me? Was this the stuff causing this? Are there cuts or RC's known for causing symptoms similar to this? I've used m-amp for 20 years off and on and have never had an issue quite like this. Was this just a pinched nerve somewhere in my head? Were my symptoms dangerous? Was this just psychosommatic? Using benzos & opiates would help out for maybe a half hour but the tingling would always return.
I had been getting some sleep and eating and know I wasn't just going crazy and feeling things.

I have no idea what was going on. Never felt anything like it before. I should add that I have been under a lot of stress and just lost my mom. The night before I went to her funeral was the night it was at it's peak in intensity and I thought for sure I was gonna die or had really fucked up and was gonna be left permanently damaged. But the next day it seemed to have reduced about 80% and I am feeling almost 100% back to normal, yet very fatigued, which isn't so shocking considering the passing of my mother and the many hours of riding in a car I've had to do.

I also broke out with red & pink bumps all over my chest, scalp and sides of my nose for about 3 days but have no idea if it was related and they have since disappeared.
Could it have been an infection? Nerve damage? I'm glad I'm better now but I can't help but wonder and am gonna be worried about using stims again & it possibly resurfacing or even being worse next time.

I should also mention that after my second or third shot, I got very lightheaded and dizzy. I switched to plugging after that. This lightheaded and dizziness persisted the entire time. I also would get that weird feeling like my left ear would suddenly sound like it was going completely deaf and I'd feel like I was gonna faint and then my hearing would come back in slowly. I do have anxiety disorders and some times it will cause me to freak out about health issues, but even the person I was using with reported a lightheadedness and dizziness after their 2nd or 3rd hit too and also complained of similar issues like I was having, although they apparently didn't have the tingling/knot in brain type of issue I was experiencing.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I know no one here is a doctor and I'm not looking for one on BL, but I know there are many intelligent people here with real world experience and figured maybe somebody could give me a clue as to what this was or if they've had any similar experiences.

Last edited:
There’s possibly a bunch of things going on. But the good news is you seem to be recovering after ceasing to take more of whatever it was.

It’s common to get tingling in your head when you shoot amps. Not so much meth bit amp sulfate used to set firecrackers of in my head.

The lightheaded and dizzy was probably caused by vasoconstriction. That can also cause tingling in your brain xtremetities but I’ve not heard of it doing that in your head.

The rash was probably caused by a cut in your product.

Sounds like testing and washing your product might have been prudent before slamming any of it. Glad you seem to be recovering.

There’s possibly a bunch of things going on. But the good news is you seem to be recovering after ceasing to take more of whatever it was.

It’s common to get tingling in your head when you shoot amps. Not so much meth bit amp sulfate used to set firecrackers of in my head.

The lightheaded and dizzy was probably caused by vasoconstriction. That can also cause tingling in your brain xtremetities but I’ve not heard of it doing that in your head.

The rash was probably caused by a cut in your product.

Sounds like testing and washing your product might have been prudent before slamming any of it. Glad you seem to be recovering.
Thanks for the info.

I won't be slamming again, if at all, ever. Although I'd like to mention that even intranasal and plugging seemed to increase the tingling. For example, a few nights I went to bed and woke up with mild to almost non-existent tingling and would do a small bump and within an hour or two, the tingling would increase again and last most of the rest of the day.

I've had tingling in my toes, intense headaches and lightheadedness from using m-amp before, but this was on another level.

I've read that electrolyte imbalances could cause tingling in the head like that. And it seems plausible considering I did a lot of sweating.
I've also read that neurotransmitter depletion and such could cause tingling sensations.
And of course there's the lovely "brain tumor" idea from Dr. Google, but I have no other symptoms of a brain tumor and this is the first & only time having this issue, which seems to be resolving now that I quit using this certain batch.
There's also the pinched/damaged nerve possibility, since I also did a lot of laying in one place for days and tensing up my body (if you know what I mean).

So it could have been several things I guess. Haven't come across any other accounts on here though of people getting tingling on one side of their head/scalp. I'm aware stimulants can cause rushes of tingling to the head as well, but those are usually pleasant & short lived IME. Where as this tingling was localized to one spot, some times constant, lasted for a few days and also had that strange "knot in the brain" type feeling a long with it. It had me worried rather than feeling good and have never experienced it before the hundreds of other times I've used m-amp. This experience has me curious though.

Last edited:
I don’t want to overstate this and it would be very unlikely but with amps you need to consider the possibility of a stroke. A minor stroke potentially has several symptoms similar to what you described, especially tingling.

It’s something that requires a medical diagnosis.

I don’t want to overstate this and it would be very unlikely but with amps you need to consider the possibility of a stroke. A minor stroke potentially has several symptoms similar to what you described, especially tingling.

It’s something that requires a medical diagnosis.
Thank you.
A stroke did cross my mind several times. In a way, that's how I would describe it feeling like, although I've never had one that I know of and wouldn't be able to say for sure how it feels.

I'm thankful to be feeling almost 100% back to normal. Although I think I am freaked out enough not to touch a stimulant for awhile, if ever again, after this.

I also had pain in some of my teeth on that same side of the head, so an infection crossed my mind too.

I definitely will.

I usually am not into IVing but was feeling self destructive after my mom passed.

I remember having a pretty bad headache one day during this binge and I took a half an acetaminophen (I only took half as I was worried about taking it on an empty stomach). I know that NSAIDs also increase the risk of strokes but didn't think half a pill would hurt me (250mg).

I guess there's no way to really tell for sure. I'm suppose to have an MRI done this summer about myoclonic jerks I've had for years, which I also think might have come about from being stupid and mixing meth, DXM & effexor one time. So maybe I can mention some of this to them. I'm gonna try not to get myself worked up over it in the mean time though, especially since the tingling has gone away and other than being pretty exhausted, I feel ok. But I will be sticking to my usual downers.

Thanks Atelier!

Just for the record, acetaminophen (paracetamol) is not actually an NSAID. Did you mean ibuprofen?

I did not know that. I took 250mg of acetaminophen. Broke a 500mg generic tylenol pill in half. I'd say my issues started the next day.

Was in the car with my partner and he was upset about something and as soon as his voice tone changed and became more aggressive and louder, it felt like something weird happened in the side of my head. The tingling and other symptoms preceded to follow in the days after, gradually getting worse until one night I thought for sure it was a stroke or something was gonna pop in the left side of my brain. I laid down in a weird position on my back and aligned my head and put pressure on my left side and when I woke up the next day, the tingling & strange "knot" feelings were almost non-existent. And by today, it's completely gone and feels back to normal. No clue what it was, but I won't rule out the possibility of stroke since I do get high blood pressure, especially from stress and anxiety, which I had plenty of going on the whole time due to my mom passing and having to make several 7.5hr car trips. I also think it could have been a pinched nerve in my neck or head or somewhere but I'm not so sure how a pinched nerve could have caused the other symptoms.

Last edited:
I did not know that. I took 250mg of acetaminophen. Broke a 500mg generic tylenol pill in half. I'd say my issues started the next day.

Was in the car with my partner and he was upset about something and as soon as his voice tone changed and became more aggressive and louder, it felt like something weird happened in the side of my head. The tingling and other symptoms preceded to follow in the days after, gradually getting worse until one night I thought for sure it was a stroke or something was gonna pop in the left side of my brain. I laid down in a weird position on my back and aligned my head and put pressure on my left side and when I woke up the next day, the tingling & strange "knot" feelings were almost non-existent. And by today, it's completely gone and feels back to normal. No clue what it was, but I won't rule out the possibility of stroke since I do get high blood pressure, especially from stress and anxiety, which I had plenty of going on the whole time due to my mom passing and having to make several 7.5hr car trips.

I'm not a medical professional, but a stroke sounds unlikely. Stress and anxiety can cause all manner of psychosomatic symptoms. But if these feelings keep reoccurring, you need to seek professional help.

I'm not a medical professional, but a stroke sounds unlikely. Stress and anxiety can cause all manner of psychosomatic symptoms. But if these feelings keep reoccurring, you need to seek professional help.

That's reassuring. I do take klonopin for anxiety but noticed it was not helping much with the tingling and physical feelings.
I had trouble with word recall on the day of it's peak intensity as well, which really started to get scary.

I also took a clonidine during this time. I have had blood pressure that was in the heart attack/stroke range at my clinic before, even while completely sober.

Had bloodwork done this past winter, which came back normal except my cholesterol was a bit on the high side.

I certainly don't want what happened to me to have been some kind of stroke though.

At times I could push on areas of my neck and it would increase the tingling in that spot in my head. But I had no pain or discomfort in my neck area. This is what made me wonder if maybe I just had a pinched nerve in my head also.

It seems to have resolved by now, nothing permanent that I know of. No more tingling or "knot" feelings. Mostly just ungodly tired & a little bit of what feels like inflammation or pressure on that side of the head from time to time.

I plan to not touch any stimulant for a bit and if it occurs again, going directly to a doctor. Something about the m-amp seemed to aggravate it and now that I haven't touched any in days, I am seeing progress. I had gone on a binge about 1.5-2 weeks before this, but did not have any issues with head tingling or anything. I've had anxiety at times too that caused me to feel physical pain and what not, but I just found it strange that every time I took a bump or tried to use any, the tingling would come back not long after.

Thanks FUBAR. Appreciate it.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the same type of sensation you are describing but I always got pretty consistent scalp tingling during the initial stages (come-up and a beginning of the peak) with certain stims like mdma and, most notably for me, large propylhexedrine doses.

I don't know if this is the same type of sensation you are describing but I always got pretty consistent scalp tingling during the initial stages (come-up and a beginning of the peak) with certain stims like mdma and, most notably for me, large propylhexedrine doses.

I hope this didn't have any propylhexadrine in it. As that would be pretty dangerous to inject (brain stem dysfunction).

I've had tingling type sensations from stims and other drugs, but that's more of a pleasant tingle all over the top of your head (or even your whole body some times) where as this was not pleasant and was taking place in only one spot on the back of my head (until it spread forward to the side of my head and into my jaw). I've been a junkie for 21 years (heroin, m-amp, painkillers, mdma, cocaine/crack, etc..) so I'm very familiar with some of the euphoric or tingling sensations drugs can give, but never felt anything like this.

There's no real way of knowing I guess without going to a doctor. The good news is, I seem to be my normal self again. So I'm gonna try not to worry about it. Although I do feel that whatever this was that happened was probably not a good thing and plan to watch out for any such feelings or reactions again.

No I doubt there was any propylhexedrine in there, was just mentioning that this is a known side effect in some people for some stims. But this doesn't sound like the normal scalp tingling side effect that people report

No I doubt there was any propylhexedrine in there, was just mentioning that this is a known side effect in some people for some stims. But this doesn't sound like the normal scalp tingling side effect that people report

True. I have read & seen incidents of people extracting propylhexadrine and making crystals out of it though, so you never know.

I'm still not really sure if it was the shit that caused it or if it just aggravated it or if it was something that came about from a combo of that + the stress of losing my mom & financial struggle, etc.

Im just thankful that I feel back to normal. It could have been a lot of things and although others say a stroke is unlikely, I think I will still treat it as such, that a minor/mild stroke is a possibility and to act accordingly if I feel any other abnormal sensations coming on. And to possibly get a test kit if I ever decide to do it again.

Appreciate the responses.