• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Save Hydrocodone by mixing with Alcohol?

LowCard

Greenlighter
Whenever a prescription for narcotics is obtained it is always for a limited amount. I end up using at least 50 mg of hydrocodone or oxycodone for what I need. It runs out fast. Too fast. If that was cut in half and mixed with a shot or two of liquor what do you think the outcome would be? Would I'd be satisfied? Is alcohol considered an opioid potentiator? My experience with anti-acid's, grapefruit juice, etc.… Led me to dubious conclusions.

We aren't talking about getting shitfaced drunk, and taking a bunch of pills. We're talking about one or two drinks mixed with roughly half a normal dose based on a tolerance for opioids.

Allow me to give you an example. An individual has a 2 ounce bottle of hydrocodone cough syrup. Normally they would take half of the bottle by itself. They enjoy the feeling of this substance by itself. But if they wanted to save the substance so it lasted longer and chose take less syrup and a drink or two... I think that person may be disappointed.

your experience and your thoughts are appreciated,
LowCard (2 of clubs)

It theory it can work, but not so much in practice. Youre dramatically increasing your risk for OD with the combination, and the alcohol will duly increase disinhibition. Chances are a couple shots will not cover halving your dose, so you might end up taking your usual opioid dose anyways (or more if you get substantial disinhibition from the alcohol).

I would say that theres too much risk for ODing here. Maybe kratom can be a good supplement to help your syrup last longer while still scratching the opioid itch?

Thank you for your input. The opiate high is better by itself anyway.

It theory it can work, but not so much in practice. Youre dramatically increasing your risk for OD with the combination, and the alcohol will duly increase disinhibition. Chances are a couple shots will not cover halving your dose, so you might end up taking your usual opioid dose anyways (or more if you get substantial disinhibition from the alcohol).

I would say that theres too much risk for ODing here. Maybe kratom can be a good supplement to help your syrup last longer while still scratching the opioid itch?

What's up with this kratom shit? I'm totally uninformed.

It's a plant with alkaloids that are opioids. It's legal in most places, but could become scheduled in the US soon. It does have addiction liability, but less so than most pharmaceutical opioids. WDs aren't bad if you keep your doses low and infrequent.

I'm not suggesting it as something to take with cough syrup, but it might be a good alternative for scratching that itch.

I am sure this was already said but mixing the 2 is a horrible idea. It can be dangerous even deadly

People are exaggerating here. No if you stay in your average dose and just add one or two drinks you will be fine, especially since you do it to avoid taking more and running out. If you are thinking of adding some depressant because what you have ain't enough, it seems you are not going to o.d. if carefull enough.
I also figured that a little, and I mean it, a little alcohol is gonna make the opiate high better.
The thing you should have in mind, though, is that you will eventually get used to it and then you will have to increase your booze or your opiates or add something else to achieve the relaxation you want. So my advice is, that, even if what you are thinking ain't as dangerous as other posters said, you just stay in what you do and try to handle your need for more, because adding something when you get used to what you have rarely ends well.
After all, your doctor perscribed you a specific amount, and I guess he knows something more than we do.

My personal experience is that 2-3 drinks potentiate hydro and oxy quite nicely. More than that is asking for trouble. I normally take my usual dose of hydro with 3 beers. The main concern with this is that acetominophen with alcohol can cause liver damage - 2 or 3 drinks won't change a safe amount of APAP into an unsafe amount. However, I would not get sh*tfaced, that's what causes ODs in my opinion.

I know I'm really late but I take about 40 30mg dhidrocoden vicodin to the US but without the paracetamol iv found taking 20 with 2 shots of whiskey don't do much iv to take near 35 and 2 shots
Soz for spelling on phon and dislexik.

What seems to work to potentiate opioids are NMDA antagonists like dextromethorphan. One uses just a low dose of it like used against cough (60-100mg) and some report great success with it. I myself used another one, memantine, to withdraw from morphine

I feel like alcohol would outweigh the high.
This is because I do not drink much nearly none at all and this right here is mostly because of my opioid addiction. I want to experience it and nothing else when I take it.
Although I do mix different opioids and benzos(bad to do even low doses). I think the best thing to potentiate your dros is just a few tussin cough gels straight DXM . Or most of all weed works really great!

Not a practical strategy, there are more efficient and considerable safer alternatives such as Promethazine or Diphenhydramine.