View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Salvia Splendens

Dang 'Ol Stoner

Bluelighter
So I found a packet of seeds at the nursery earlier today, called "Bonfire Salvia." I decided to research it a little.
Bonfire is part of the salvia splendens group.
Rumour on the web has it that Bonfire is one of the few varieties of splendens with notable psychoactive properties like those of salvia divinorum.
Now I am curious to know if anyone else here has ever tried growing this stuff for psychedelic use. Any further information about this particular species would be much appreciated.

Salvia_splendens1.jpg

this is the wrong salvia
only salvia divinorum is good for psychedelic use.
the seeds are so rare for SD that you would never be able to buy them - propagation is by cutting and cultivation

According to drugs-forum, salvia splendens does contain the compounds salviarin and splendidin. Their effects are similar to salvinorin in the sense that you can get "high." I guess I shouldn't expect to trip from it though.

The psychoactive effects of this plant are elusive, and said to be sedating and relaxing, which is far from the dissociative hallucinations produced by salvinorin A. These effects have been inconsistent and this may represent individual sensitivity or perhaps variable active constituent content of different cultivars of this plant (of which there are many).
[top]

https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Salvia_splendens

It is also worth mentioning that several forum users made mention of other salvia species, such as:

salvia nemorosa (cannabis-like high)
salvia guaranitica (contains cirsiliol) (LSA-style trip)
salvia pretensis
salvia farinacea (supposedly benzo-like effects)

Each species was described as containing psychoactive components and causing some sort of high and/or hallucinogenic effect.

Drugs-forum is not known for their intellectual rigor.

The only active psychedelic species of Salvia is S. divinorum. No other species has been demonstrated to contain isolatable psychoactive compounds beyond very mild ones like flavonoids and terpenes like thujone.

Their effects are similar to salvinorin in the sense that you can get "high."

The effects are nothing like S.divinorum, it's very likely placebo at best, or a mild buzz from flavonoids. The terpenes in S. splendens are not kappa opioid agonists.

Salvinorin A (1), a neoclerodane diterpene from the hallucinogenic mint Salvia divinorum, is the only known naturally occurring non-nitrogenous and specific κ-opioid agonist. Some oxidative modifications of the A ring in the congeners of 1 isolated from Salvia splendens salviarin, splenolide B, splendidin and in the non-natural 8-epi-salviarin gave new derivatives, some of which were tested as agonists at opioid receptors. However, none of these compounds were active. The presence of the C-18, C-19 lactone could be at the origin of the observed lack of binding affinity.
[ref]

Each species was described as containing psychoactive components and causing some sort of high and/or hallucinogenic effect.

It's grasping at straws though. Sages are mild sedatives at best. S. guaranitica contains no ergoline alkaloids and lacks affinity for 5ht2a.

The supposedly benzo type effects are probably no stronger than stuff like skullcap. A lot of the active compounds are poor drugs when it comes to pharmacokinetics - that is, they would work quite well in cell cultures, but they are broken down or excreted from humans rapidly.

Why anyone would want to trip on salvia is beyond me.....it is the most uncomfortable not fun drug ever

I actually love it. It is strange but quite enjoyable. The majority of people that have a hard time with it are probably smoking extract which is a lot more of the active salvinorin-a than it takes to have an experience. Its like taking alot of lsd vs just a hit. Too much of anything would make most people uncomfortable.