Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Salvia Divinorum - First Time - Rage/Fear/Paranoia/Despair

erosion

Bluelight Crew
I'm a very experience drug user - primarily opiates, but I have done every mainstream drug (including hallucinagens) in existence, plus a few rc's. So I *thought* I knew what I was doing. Boy, was I wrong.

It began when I went to the headshop and saw that they had Salvia for sale in different strengths. I had always wanted to try it, so I thought "what the hell" and bought the 2nd to lowest strength "yellow", which was 1/2 gram It wasn't labeled in the standard 5x-20x, just color coded, so I couldn't tell you how strong it was. I had to buy a pipe too, because I didn't even own one! (you dont need them for opiates :).

I got home, prepped the pipe with tobacco and salvia (I put in 1/5 of the packet, per instructions). I inhaled and then coughed hard. I didn't expect the tobacco to be that harsh without a filter from a crappy pipe. I didn't feel anything yet, so I took another puff. Thats when all hell broke loose. I felt really heavy. I wasn't seeing anything perse, but my vision slowed down considerably. I started to feel really disphoric, like a dose of Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine). The disphoria increased substantially, and I panicked, which made it exponentially worse.

I wanted out really bad, so I figured I would splash some water on my face and take a small stroll in my backyard to sober up. Upon standing up I had incredible nausia the disphoria became even worse. For some reason I became extremely angry and full of rage. I don't know if it was the salvia, or the salvia was bringing out something that I had never dealt with (a bunch of stuff has happened recently that i probably haven't given proper thought and respect to), but for some reason I needed to destroy something. I tore all the trash off my floor (cups and pop cans and such) and threw them across the kitchen at the trash, which I missed. I smashed my crappy alarm clock with my foot. The cat came in meowing and crinkling paper, and i shoved him across the room (tile floors, so It didn't hurt him, but he ran away).

Tears welled up in my eyes, and sweat soaked my shirt and was running down my face. I turned on the air conditioning and layed on my bed. It didn't help at all. Finally, I remembered I had a few heroin soaked cottoms left, and 1/4 a dime. I put it all in a spoon, prepped and banged it. That seemed to help quite a bit, and I could finally relax. I'm on methadone mantainance, so it wasn't withdrawl that made it a bad trip.

Retospective: I'd heard mixed reviews of this drug before I decided to do it, so I knew some people didn't think it was particularly "fun". I was prepared to have an introspective experience that might not be euphoric, but never did I expect to have such a painful experience as I had. Quite frankly, I don't know how anyone could enjoy this stuff, its now in the same catagory as dramamine and jimson weed (never tried) for me. I usually even give drugs I don't like a 2nd try to see if I was wrong, but thats not happening with Salvia.

-n4k

Personally, I love Salvia, but I've had some frightening experiences as well. It's not really something that should be taken lightly, and it isn't for everyone.

Salvia, Take her seriously!

For those who think that Salvia is some sort of hokum pokum jokey fake thing. Think again! First, Salvia is not like hashish or canabis. It certainly isnt a 'party' drug, and for those of you thinking of trying it, read up, research and make sure you are prepared, this stuff is NOT for the faint hearted. Read up on how to smoke it and follow the instructions if you want to see the potential. Have a SOBER freind with you. This stuff IS legal in alot of places. BUT I reitterate, it IS NOT a party high!8o

What people should also keep in mind is that the above doesn't even sound like a breakthrough experience. Anyone contemplating smoking salvia for the first time should understand that experiences much stronger/frightening/dissociating are frequent and even common when good extract and proper smoking technique are used. Blast-off salvia experiences rank right up there with smoked DMT/5-MeO-DMT in terms of visual, mental, and physical intensity, and should definitely be sought after only by those who are absolutely sure they want them.

That said, salvia can be humbling, incredible, and life-affirming, and I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone who has done their research and intends on titrating their dosage carefully from giving it a go. Just remember to set the bong down while you can still, you know, see. :D

I wonder if the OP being an opiate user has had anything to do with his unconventional salvia trip. I remember reading a paper where Salvinorin A was, surprisingly enough, acting mainly at the kappa-opioid receptors. Possibly it's such a strong agonist that it replaces opiates creating temporary withdrawal symptoms. Just a wild guess, but it would be consistent with the fear and anger the OP felt and the fact that he felt the need to do more heroin.

hello newbies
salvia dose is seldom reflected properly on the package
even at daniel siebert's sagewisdom.org you get the sense that 1000 mics of active ingredient (salvinorin-A) is necessary. I dose lower than that for good effects.
what that means is for the average person
a gram of leaf has 2.5 good trips (more for me)
a gram of 5x has 13 good trips
a gram of 10x has 26 good trips
a gram of 20x has 52 good trips

etc.

If you got the second lowest it is probably 10x and if you took 1/3 of the package then you had enough for 8 good trips
seven times too much for a good experience.

the substance deserves closer attention because it will not kill you at any dosage (so it is 100% physically safe)
but it is very active and that leads to people getting involved over their heads.
the distribution culture for it is retarded (use 1/3 of the package???)

Salvia is unlike any drug that I have ever encountered. I enjoy it, but I haven't smoked it in years. It really depends on how much you smoke, but it's extremely easy to reach the point of forgetting that you're on anything. In fact, the second time that I did salvia (which was the strongest experience I've had with it yet) I wasn't even aware of my own existence. I was an entirely different human being that I dreamt up. The experience was very dream-like and it was as if I was watching a movie of myself, but at the time it was reality. When I began to come down from my high, my brother was asking me questions about my trip because I had been talking through a lot of it (I wasn't aware of this). I specifically remember him asking me several times, "Sam, who are you? Are you yourself? Or are you somebody else right now?" My confusion was so profound; I had no idea who I was at the moment. One second I would fall back into my trip and the next I would come to and realize that I was me and not the person that I dreamt up. This went on for about five minutes or so after my peak when I was unaware of anything but what was going on in my head.

Mind you, that was only one hit of 10x that I picked up from a head shop. I suspect that your misfortune with salvia may be due to mixing it with tobacco. I'm assuming you took large hits from your dry pipe and that's most likely what's responsible for your nausea. ALSO, I have tried smoking salvia out of a dry pipe on a few occasions and none of them were ever successful. I got the giggles the first time, but other than that it was a complete waste. Try smoking pure salvia out of a bong and you'll get more out of it.