• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe running out of suboone early will Butrans patch help?

Em123

Greenlighter
Hi all

It's been a long while since i visited BL. My question is can i use Butrans patch (20 mcg/hr) to cover me since i will run out of suboxone 2 days early this month . I take 12-16 mg a day depending on pain. I take 3-4 mg doses 3-4 times a day for chronic pain. Last year I was given Butrans patch's but never used them.

Even though people say suboxone stays in your body for 36 hours I start yawning within 6 hours if i try to skip a dose. If i push through I will get leg pain & stomach pain by 10 hours no suboone. Because of that i am afraid of w/d when i run out.

Sadly one of my kids is also on suboxone & he runs short alot so i have been giving him my "extra's" & messed up this month. He doesn't know i take suboxone but has seen the butran's box. So will Butrans patch help & will i need more than 1 patch to keep me out of w/d;s? When i read about the patch it seems like you only get 5 mg per day.

Any suggestions are welcomed...

Thanks

That is a site where they seem to be talking about the same thing. It sounds to me that you may have no choice in the matter and that you will just have to use the patch and see how you feel. Make sure it is placed on a hairless spot on your body, as the hair can keep the drug from getting absorbed into your skin. Another thought is if you have more then one patch. but to be safe I would first apply one and wait a good hour or so and see how you feel and if you need add another. Imodium can really help to if you still start to go into WD's you have to take like 6-9 times the recommended dosage but it can help with stomach cramps and RLS, good luck to you!

It takes more than an hour or so with a patch don't start sticking too many on they build up over a day or 2 until it becomes effective.
The butrans can't compare to how much you take right now 12mgs is a lot of opiates and the bu trans patch is meant for pain patients so very low microgram doses get released every hour. I think its .1 of a mg or half that(50 micrograms) every hour for the weakest one and they don't go much higher than that meaning you won't come close to 12 mgs a day. That's weird you say you get that much for pain you sure its not for a past addiction to another opiate? Cause pain patients usually take 0.2-0.4mgs every 4 hours or so anything more doesn't help and can cause you to be in more pain actially which is why addiction patients get high doses so they cant feel high on the stuff. I didn't realise how strong this stuff was until I tapered from 8mg to 0.25 mgs and got higher on .25 than I ever could have imagined on 8mgs.

Also since the half life of bupe is long you will likely do fine with the addition of the patch.. I think you will be in good shape.. maybe not perfect but decent.

I think that you can easily lower your dose for a few days to get those 2 days worth back. Drop to 8mg for a few days and you should be good.

Why not cut the patch into pieces and hold under ur tongue for A while. If there's 5 mgs per patch would this not be similar to using a fent patch this way?and the same method used for sub?

Why not cut the patch into pieces and hold under ur tongue for A while. If there's 5 mgs per patch would this not be similar to using a fent patch this way?and the same method used for sub?

I know this month-end experience has passed for the OP (and hoping they will come back and share their experience) - but for those who stumble upon this thread looking for answers to a similar question:

The Butrans patch doesn't work the same way as a Fent patch when it comes to sublingual use as previously suggested. It has a matrix that prevents additional medication from being dispensed - and in my experience - even while trying several extraction methods for sublingual use - it always ends with minimal results. I get much more coverage when I just apply it as prescribed.

It does take about 24-48 hours for the full effects of the patch to kick in - and with a sub habit of 12mg+ it will not provide the same coverage but WILL help keep you out of severe withdrawals for those 2 days. I was prescribe Butrans for a year before losing my insurance and have since been getting subs from a friend - and I will tell you that the patch really doesn't come close to even a fourth of a sub: subs clearly provide more of the drug at once and have much quicker results. However, for a 2 day period - it should help to get you by somewhat and it absolutely worth a try.

My suggestion would be to apply to patch a day or two before you run out of the subs so that you receive the max coverage from the patch when you need it.

I've never heard any glowing reports of Butrans , quite the opposite, most people hate it. IMO it would be less efficacious than Ultram... Combined with a shitty delivery system the ultra low dose range of Butrans can't hold a candle to the higher dose sub lingual bupe.