• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Reneging on a Job Acceptance

xxkcxx

Bluelighter
I had been interviewing with three different companies over the last month because the store I worked for went out of business.

Two were for assistant managers of retail stores, and one was a front desk person at a large medical practice.

I was supposed to have my final interview for my top choice (the medical office) last Tuesday, and my second choice last Wednesday, so my hope was I would get offers from both around the same time and could just ask each for a few days to think it over/review benefits.

Well, my second choice ended up calling me last Monday and offering me the position. I asked for 2 days to think it over, went on my top choice interview, which went well, but they said they couldn't make an offer until Friday because they did have one more interview let and it was an internal candidate.

I didn't want to be in the position of reneging, but I figured a solid offer was better than none, so I accepted the #2 position. Then, I got called Friday and offered my #1 choice.

The people at #2 were so nice, I feel like a douchebag calling them up and going back on it, but #1 is so much better for so many reasons. Pay is like $1500 a year more, insurance is better and cheaper, it's closer to my house, they offer tuition reimbursement up to $4k a year and my ultimate goal is to go back and finish school, so that's a huge plus.

I'm sure I wasn't the only person they interviewed and they will probably just go with their number 2 choice, and I know that it's dog-eat-dog and I gotta do what's best for me, but I sort of feel like a scumbag and I'm not really sure how to tell them. So, how would you go about doing it?

Hey if the roles were reversed a company would drop you in a heartbeat. Then though consider where you will be happiest. More money doesn't mean happiness. If you decide to go with # 1 try not to burn a bridge if you can help it. You should consider yourself lucky, not many people have your problem in this financial climate. Good luck to you.

The sooner the better. Just thank them for the offer, but unfortunately you got another company that offered a little more of what you need. Do it now. I've done it countless times. They are usually very understanding. I mean, they don't expect people to only apply to one position at a time.

I'd tell them in a professional manner that you've accepted a job that was a better fit for you. No need to go into details with them.

They will be understanding and probably glad you didn't hire in and then quit 2 weeks later.

It happens all the time kc. Just call asap and be truthful. 1500$ a year is no big deal but, better insurance and a closer commute is especially at this time. Those alone are worth a lot more money in the long run and will probably keep them from making an awkward counter offer which they might if you say it's over 1500$. If they are at all professional then it will be no big deal.

Congrats on your new job. Now where are my scripts?

yea, i'm a headhunter. i see this stuff all the time. no big deal, just thank them, let them know you're sorry it didn't work out, but you had another opportunity that you just can't refuse. tell #2 that you'll look in your network to see if you can provide them with a referral that may be a fit. no biggie.

Thanks people.

Did it today and it was a bit of a clusterfuck.

The manager that hired me wasn't in, the person working didn't know when she would be in, and there wasn't an e-mail for her (what the fuck how are all three of those things possible), so they told me to call a different hiring manager I had spoke to but never met.

I told her I felt shitty giving the information to her and not the lady that hired me, but since they didn't know when she was working next, I would feel worse telling her the day I'm supposed to start or really even later this week since the holiday is going to mess stuff up.

It's over and done with, but I thought I'd feel better about it when I was done, like relieved, but since I didn't talk to the right person, it still feels a bit like unfinished business. Oh well...

You'll be fine. Lol. Congrats on your new job! That's so crazy though too because I'm currently working autistic children (which is in my field of psychology) but the hours, driving, (sometimes clients), and pay, benefits,...SUCK. I was recently offered a ASM position for a multi-million dollar company (and I pretty much know everyone since I used to work there) with FULL everything. I'm currently in a masters programs (2 years) and planning on applying to the doctorate program so I should be getting more familiar with the children but it just sucks because I don't feel as if my company is really taking care of me.

i accepted an offer with another company yesterday, and i still have an interview scheduled for next week. i'm waiting on the background check to come back before i cancel the other interview, and i'm stringing the company that i have the interview with next week along, a bit.

that's just how it goes. your career is your career, you do what you need to do to have the most options, while remaining as ethical as possible.

It sucks, but tell them sooner rather than later. It's your career, it's a better fit for you. I'm sure they will find another good candidate for that job. Be professional about it, say thank you for the opportunity.