• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Relapse Relapse Help

dhasch16

Greenlighter
I relapsed. After 6 months off, i went back to pain killers, nicotine, and just recently weed. I need to know how i can ever expect to stay sober. The thought of total sobriety scares me. Im not a hardcore addict. I use about 30mg of oxy a week, 1g of weed, and 2 cans of chew. I have been clean for months at a time but i cant stop going back. Advice please?

Last edited by a moderator:
My advice, just dont use today. Dont think about or worry about tomorrow. Focus on the here and now. Do that everyday. Any day an addict doesn't use is a day won. Find a support program. Na is great for a lot of people, even if you dont buy into the twelve step thing it can still be immensely helpful. Just set your sights on not using today. Wake up tomorrow, do the same thing. Best of luck its a tough life for any addict but that's the hand we are dealt.

Do you know why you use, or what keeps bringing you back? It might help to figure that out first, then find healthier ways to cope. I noticed you said you weren't a hardcore addict - do you consider yourself an addict at all? Sometimes judgment and pride can make a difference in getting and finding the help and support you need. It doesn't matter what kinds of drugs or the ROA you use, but more so how the use affects your life.

I'll echo oxlong27's suggestion to find a support program. 1-on-1 talk therapy can also be helpful. Know that there's always a healthier option than using drugs, and you'll find it if you want to change.

I think a major issue is, i dont know why i go back other than whatever stresses me at the time. Also, my use hasnt really affected my life other thann what i do on the weekends and once withdrawling on vaca with my S.O.

If you don't know why you use, can you at least think of why you want to stop? It might not be an easy question to answer, but being aware of these things can help motivate you to stop using and hold onto that commitment.

Similarly to what I said earlier about types of drugs/ROA - you don't have to be in abject destitution and misery to want to stop using drugs. Addiction affects people from all different walks of life, and your reason for quitting could be as simple as the fact that it's become too inconvenient and stressful to continue.

I want to stop because i hate the side effects between doses. The depression, constipation, runny nose, achy joints, etc. Also to ensure i dont compromise my future.

I just cant seem to stay quit. I always go back when im stressed, and the quitting process causes stress itself.

Shit progress not perfection man. Can you cut back t just smoking weed? Lets face it that's a big improvement over the heroin relapse.

Is it because you surround your self w other users? Maybe try something new like the gym,or some kind of activity where you can meet new people.=-)

OP...have you noticed any triggers that seem to send you back to the drugs? Might be worth sitting down for a while and thinking about your last couple relapses. Often you can find red flags well before the actual picking up that indicate that a relapse might be coming. If you can identify these and recognize them when they occur, it can improve your chances of avoiding that road.

What Sim said! and remember your not in deep yet with the oxy you can easily stop without wds but if you continue down that road you will be taking oxy everyday and soon not getting any high only trying to sustain feeling normal. And someone smoking weed i dont consider a addict and total sobriety scares me also but it was never my goal my goal was to leave ops behind. And if you wanna know how you can ever expect to stay sober, i started taking oxy over 20 years ago and in the beginning i only did it on weekends then i added wednesday next thing i knew it was everyday for over 20 years dont make that mistake good luck.

I think a major issue is, i dont know why i go back other than whatever stresses me at the time. Also, my use hasnt really affected my life other thann what i do on the weekends and once withdrawling on vaca with my S.O.

This is precisely why you find yourself to returning to substance use: stress. And more precisely, substance use is clearly the devil you know best when it comes to managing your stress. Finding healthier, less harmful ways of managing your stress (exercise, meditation, focusing on your passions) is what will be necessary to managing your relationship to substance use.

I find the emphasis on abstinence to be rather unhelpful. What use is abstinence if you are constantly stressed out and miserable all the time? Is it even a realistic goal until you learn to manage the stresses of every day life? I personally think not. I don't know anyone who has been able to maintain abstinence or sobriety for significant amounts of time without putting in a lot of effort improving their overall quality of life - and the key to this is (re)learning healthy ways of managing stress.

The issue most of us have is that establishing or re-establishing healthy stress reduction habits isn't something that develops over night or happens right away. It takes time, effort, dedication and practice. On the other hand, we know all too well that, at least for a few hours or a day, using substances will take that pain away. No matter to the fact that we'll end up suffering for it for three or more days after we end up using (particularly with stimulant, opioid and gabaergi substance use). It works right away. As stress relief is what we are really craving - a sense of connection, love, belonging, etc - and substance use allows us to enter a similar state right away, it is no wonder why we find it so desirable.

Particularly considering how impersonal and fast paced modern society is, and how it is driven by consumption and instant gratification, stress reduction habits that focus on slowing down, concentrating our attention and focusing changing our relationship to whatever we have (the good and the bad) are anything but self evident.

I find a good starting point is focusing on what you love. Coming to terms with a love of substance use and drugs, and learning to appreciate the fact that one doesn't necessarily have to use drugs to love them (in fact, sometimes using them prevents us from actually experiencing any deep love of them), was a huge first step for me. But at the same time it was important to realize the fact that drugs are not the only thing in life I love. There is so much more to life, and all of us are so much more than merely our substance use, even at the worst of times in our use.

Finding those inner gems of light and cultivating them, tending to them like seeds n a garden and taking good care of them as they begin to develop and flower, is what this process is all about.

My question to you, OP: What do you love? About yourself, and your world?