• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

rehab methadone

Great post, awfully long. The OP clearly stated he or she wants out of the hell he or she is in. And the drum starts beating. If this is as open minded forum as you are suggesting then how come people who are seeking abstinence are not supported? If you are projecting defensiveness on me so be it.

How are people seeking abstience not supported? We aren’t supporting them because we are open to ORT as a part of that process?

Every suggestion that has been made is a direct path to abstience. But because we suggest tapering or using buprenorphine to make the transition off methadone, somehow it isn’t?

It is a bit longish, but the second sentence of my last post drives the point home. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think I’ve beaten this horse to death.

This is all very frustrating, because each of our suggestions have been primarily about achieving a sustainable, meaningful state of abstinence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Op has been given solid advice in this thread. Jumping off a high dose of methadone is a recipe for failure. What is irresponsible or biased about advising someone to taper? I've been around this shit for awhile and everyone I know who has successfully gotten off methadone did a responsible taper. Telling someone to leap off at a high dose is the opposite of harm reduction. And that's what our mission on bluelight is harm reduction.

You haven't been censored or anything and all points are welcome. But I'm not going to apologize for advocating statistically superior treatments.

If you read any of my posts as suggesting a cold turkey approach then now I understand the confusion. So often I see suggestions given on this forum which involve thinly veiled directives to participate in diversion. Not necessarily by TPD. Diversion is using any substance in a means that is not directed or obtaining a substance in a criminal manner, something I have a long history of being guilty of. I am pretty clear when I post that I am not a doctor and don't give medical advice. We are on the same team here, attempting to give hope to people who are making an effort to improve their lives.

And now I have a better idea where you are coming from as a professional in this jd. Thank you :)

It would actually be a really good idea for you to get on buprenorphine. Whether it is just for the acute detox or for an extended taper of six months, it won’t be nearly as difficult to get off as where you’re at with methadone right now. It won’t provide the same relief from cravings methadone does, so that is something you’d maybe benefit with an extended treatment program with.

Nowadays they recommend people getting off methadone do an extended taper on buprenorphine. That is what the science now suggests at least. I wasn’t comfortable using buprenorphine for more than the acute withdrawal, but I also tapered methadone down to a low dose over almost two years before getting off. You won’t have had that experience, so an extended taper off buprenorphine is a good idea to at least consider. And, again, getting off that won’t be as difficult as you might think.

I don’t generally like the idea of long term inpatient rehab, as opposed to inpatient followed by an extensive IOP, but that’s really up to you. Long term rehab program are very difficult, and generally don’t do enough on their own when it comes to re-entry/aftercare. In fact they are notoriously unequaled for that stuff, which is why continued IOP support is so useful.

the user above said he had a bad experience coming off suboxone though is that normal? iw as told they basically are the exact same thing t come off of as far as withdraw synthoms and at least methadone makes me feel somewhat comfortable so unless switching will make me really be able t kick the stuff faster and somewhat easier i dont see a reason for me to do the switch

im down to 45 mg a day doing 5 mg a week till i hit around 20 t 10 then well see what i decide from there i feel fine so far

There are a few rehabs throughout the country that have detoxes that specifically deal with high dose methadone. I personally know of a handful that are licensed to distribute methadone during the detox process. That is super rare. I have seen a guy come off 350mg+ in 30 days. It wasn't pretty but he made it and he is still clean 4 years later. There are also select detoxes that will bombard someone on high dose methadone with a short actor for a week or more and then work on detoxing from the short actor. The benefit of being in a facility would be improved access to controlled comfort meds such as barbiturates.

holy **** 350+ in 30 days? and he was fine after the 30 days? lol

idk much about rehabs tbh i dont know much about drugs period what exactly will they do for me in a rehab my girl friends looking up places for me to go trying to find a good place this methadone special rehab would you happen to know where it is?

holy **** 350+ in 30 days? and he was fine after the 30 days? lol

idk much about rehabs tbh i dont know much about drugs period what exactly will they do for me in a rehab my girl friends looking up places for me to go trying to find a good place this methadone special rehab would you happen to know where it is?

Fine is a relative term I imagine.

Be careful with rehabs most of the time you end up talking to a sales staff that has nothing to do with the actual medical side of the program. They have a tendency to tell you what they think you want to hear. I'm not discouraging you just make sure you do your do dilligence. See if they will let you talk to the medical or program director before you go. Ask about the exact detox protocal. Ideally you want somewhere with an on-site detox so that you can be monitored by professionals 24-7. They also are more likely to write detox meds for a longer period of time. If I was in your shoes I would want some kind of sedative benzo or barbiturate for at least the first 2 weeks of complete discontinuation. With clonidine gabapentin and a nsaid type drug. The longer they will continue those drugs the better. On top of that I would want to know if they can give IV fluids if needed. Dehydration is the main cause of death in opiate withdrawal and rehabs are generally reluctant to summon outside help plus fuck an ER bill if it's not necessary. Those are the things off the top of my head.

I also recommend a program lasting longer then 30 days. I came home from rehab still sick from sub withdrawal and that was a ticket to disaster.

Fine is a relative term I imagine.

Be careful with rehabs most of the time you end up talking to a sales staff that has nothing to do with the actual medical side of the program. They have a tendency to tell you what they think you want to hear. I'm not discouraging you just make sure you do your do dilligence. See if they will let you talk to the medical or program director before you go. Ask about the exact detox protocal. Ideally you want somewhere with an on-site detox so that you can be monitored by professionals 24-7. They also are more likely to write detox meds for a longer period of time. If I was in your shoes I would want some kind of sedative benzo or barbiturate for at least the first 2 weeks of complete discontinuation. With clonidine gabapentin and a nsaid type drug. The longer they will continue those drugs the better. On top of that I would want to know if they can give IV fluids if needed. Dehydration is the main cause of death in opiate withdrawal and rehabs are generally reluctant to summon outside help plus fuck an ER bill if it's not necessary. Those are the things off the top of my head.

I also recommend a program lasting longer then 30 days. I came home from rehab still sick from sub withdrawal and that was a ticket to disaster.

tbh things like groups and therapy i dont need and wont help me i started to use due to going through a crazy situation i never did any drugs growing up until started using methadone to help me get through a bad period in life but its overand im at a great place now i just wish to god i wasnt on this or my life would be complete i cant train while on methadone i feel so weak being a professional athlete and training is impossible with this ifi could manage it i def would and slowly taper this off but looks like i have to kick this before i can return to the ring

i wish there was away i could get all the medications theyd give me so i wouldnt have to pay thousands of dollars for rehab and do it myself

im at 45 now going 5 each week i plan january 1st to quit methadone as my new years resolution going down 5 mg a week for next 9 weeks should get me to 0 basically by then

I don't see any reason why you couldn't get those meds. The only two abusable ones are gabapentin and the benzo. Clonidine is a blood pressure medication and a nsaid is just like ibprofin. Ask your clinic counselor if they know a doctor who will be open to helping or in some cases the clinic doc will do it.

Your taper plan is fast but it's doable with the right mindset. You sound determined do I think you'll be ok.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't get those meds. The only two abusable ones are gabapentin and the benzo. Clonidine is a blood pressure medication and a nsaid is just like ibprofin. Ask your clinic counselor if they know a doctor who will be open to helping or in some cases the clinic doc will do it.

Your taper plan is fast but it's doable with the right mindset. You sound determined do I think you'll be ok.

i have a friend whos a rn nurse im gonna ask him about getting certain types of medications like i said i need rehab for the medications i can get there t help me feel better groups and counseling isnt for me as i have 0 desire to use my career is my high and my dream so i wish i could find out what medications they exactly would give me if i were there so i could possibly obtain them without going in patient and paying thousands of dollars

i do kind of have an issue though.. i had car issues for awhile where i lived and had t drive 2 hours to my clinic and i feared that id miss a random bottle check which we get like 4 a year so i started t go down by myself my dose at the clinic is at 65 but i put it back to save incase i got kicked off and was strung out sick so i could taper down my self some may say thats wrong but the clinic could careless if you somehow couldnt afford it and tells you to fuck off and your stuck sick so i saved quite alot but the issue is every 2 weeks i go having to take a whopping 165 i guess i should just puke it up when i leave i plan to go for 5 more clinic visits which i get 13 takehomes each time

I dunno man it's only 2 doses a month that's not going to make much difference in your taper. It might get you kinda high though depending how far down you've tapered. I just found out that my clinic pulls your takehomes when you start tapering so be aware of what your clinics rules are

I dunno man it's only 2 doses a month that's not going to make much difference in your taper. It might get you kinda high though depending how far down you've tapered. I just found out that my clinic pulls your takehomes when you start tapering so be aware of what your clinics rules are

i dont think my clinic will pull take homes but tbh im not telling them im tapering lol so i can save in case something happens i plan to only go 5 more times then janaury be done with it but if something happens im gonna have alotttt left over to help me get down instead of going back and paying money and then having to go everyday i find that the smartest way i hope hope me going and having to take 165 every 2 weeks wont mess with my tolerance since im down to 45 mg a week atm