• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recreational Use After History of Addiction. Is it possible?

For *me personally*, cannabis is the only substance that I've never had a problem with, despite the fact that I enjoy it very much. In fact, it has helped me through some really nasty withdrawals from various drugs over the years.

I only smoke bud on rare occasions and consider it to be more medicinal/entheogenic/empathogenic than recreational. I also look for a higher CBD/lower THC strain (preferably Indica) so that it doesn't exacerbate my anxiety.

Opioids, amphetamines, alcohol and various designer drugs/"research chemicals" are absolute no-no's for me if I am trying to achieve and sustain total sobriety.

I'm still on the fence about benzodiazepines, because I have suffered from major anxiety/panic disorder my entire life and nothing else has worked for it (Propranolol, hydroxyzine, herbs, supplements, dietary changes, exercise, meditation, biofeedback, etc.).

My understanding of most addiction recovery philosophies is that anything potentially addictive is absolutely not allowed for any reason. One problem I have with this is that they have no problem with caffeine and nicotine, which were my "gateway drugs" and still my longest standing, hardest to beat addictions! (especially cigarettes)

Another problem is that if I didn't have my depression/anxiety meds, I would be much more likely to self-medicate with the "bad stuff".

Again this is *just me*, because it's something that I struggle with as well. Nobody knows your mind and body but you, so I would recommend taking the time to really examine your relationship with each substance and any possible consequences. Hope this helps.

Peace, Love and Faith,
Dreamflyer

We have a lot in common.

Just my opinion but those drugs that offer you escape from your problems are the drugs you should abstain from as well as drugs you don't get anything good but use it compulsively are the worst and definately should abstain from.

Those that just offer you some relax like cannabis might ve ok if you don't overdue it as well as in my case MDMA and psychedelics.

I tend to agree with this, but with one caveat. Depending where someone is at, disassociation can actually be helpful. I mean, ketamine probably is the definition of a dissociative drug, and it can be very helpful with people suffering from treatment resistant depression. Same with MDMA and PTSD.

With something like "escape," I don't think that is the problem itself. I mean, euphoria might be an undesirable side effect for pharmaceutical companies, but for the average person pleasure/pleasant feeling is not a bad thing in and of itself whatsoever. Likewise, people wouldn't enjoy vacations so much if escape didn't have some value. A dissociative episode in response to severely traumatic experience serves an adaptive purpose.

Pleasure or escape from pain and suffering isn't a bad thing. It is only "bad" (unhealthy; harmful) when it comes at the cost of reinforcing harmful (destructive; to self, others, or the planet) behavior.

I love the rainbow of harm reduction because it gets to the root of the problem: harm.

To the degree something reinforces net gains in harm, that is not helpful.

To the degree something reduces harm to any degree, it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I should have added that to escape problems although because the use they become problem. Daily meth use vs. MDMA once in two months.

I'm just being a smart-pain-in-the-ass. Sometimes I can't help myself ;)

Yeah but we need people to clarify things so it is not being pain-in-the-ass :)

That works for me, cause like I said, can't seem to help it %)

Thank you for understanding what I'm about though <3

I like your work in TL btw. Very envious. One day, one day...

Okay back on topic! 8) :)

Like someone mentiond, it's very individual.

I have a friend, call him Y, who pawned his television and sold his fucking passport(!) to obtain cash for dope.
Y got clean, and now he takes oxycodone on occassion. He doesn't drink, so he popped oxy on new years.
Then he didn't touch it for another two months. Railed a 30 at a party.
It's been three months since then and he hasn't touched anything.
No cravings or nothing.

Then there's me.
Whenever I've been clean for the past five years, be it from weed or pills, it's always the same thing.
I had this long stretch (like one month, haha) where I quit smoking cannabis.
Then one weekend, hanging out with my siblings, they offered me a toke.
I was like, fuck yes. I've been good. I'm just gonna smoke tonight.
The day after, I got a bag of hash.
"Just for the weekends", I said, but sure as fuck I smoked everyday until that bag was empty.

So as for me, it's a no-go. I get clean, I gotta stay ​clean.

You jus gotta feel yourself on this one. Ain't none of us who can say yes or no.