• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

reading what's going on in a person's brain and applying that to what type of visuals a person gets

foodcrisis

Bluelighter
so i've had shroom trips where the visuals were either rainbow and super colorful or totally shadow based. i've heard of others getting both effects as well.

so i'm wondering if it's possible or if they've ever had a study where they've given people psychedelic drugs and recorded what's going on in their brain and then asked each person in the study what type of visuals they were getting. i assume they could find some people in the study that had more shadow visuals and then others that had more colorful visuals. i'm wondering though if the brain will show different types of info depending on what kind of visuals the person is getting... i'm thinking this could be a cool study because maybe it's possible they could find some type of other drug or supplement that will change the brain so people will get the type of visuals they like, like i would totally prefer the more colorful trips.

just for the sake of trip reports, i've also had acid trips that were neither shadow or color, they were mostly like flashing lights like camera flashes. i also prefer that to the shadows. lol... what made me start to think about if they ever had this study was after i did salvia a month or so ago which i reported on this site, i've been getting more shadow HPPD in the corners of my eyes. i still get some colorful HPPD mostly when i smoke weed, but i was walking to the post office sober today and noticed a bunch of shadow visuals out the corner of my eyes which made me think of this post.

sorry if this is the wrong forum for this because it's not an actual science article or something. feel free to move it mods. i'm just thinking someone might think this idea is at least interesting even if it's been proven not possible or whatever. thanks

Even things have enormously advanced over past years thing is that trying to do that still isn't far from trying to guess what's CPU doing by listening to it, and I mean listening to sound of it. Sure there are kinds of encryption broken like that but those are extreme examples and brain's a lot more complex than CPUs we made so far.

To expand off Spiralus Sancti's post (maybe needlessly), brain imaging of humans is fairly limited to either looking at oscillation frequency of the brain via eeg, or viewing general "activity" via fmri or pet scans, which still are pretty broad measures.

PET scans are like trying to tell traffic patterns by measuring how much gasoline is sold at gas stations in a city.

The only brain imaging that gets to circuit resolution occurs in animals, as they can have proteins genetically encoded in specific types of neurons (and in specific anatomy) which allows for measuring of groups of neurons which are both spatially and functionally related.

Problem is that to do this in an animal, they have to be bred with a protein called "cre recombinase" in specific neuron types that can flip backwards dna flanked by LoxP sites, so that viral constructs containing backwards genes and loxp sites can be given to a region, but only the right neurons will turn it to a readable construct. Also fancy cameras need to be implanted into the brain. This does allow for measuring groups of neurons at a single neuron level of granularity.