• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Random thought I had while doing my homewrok

Beenhead

Bluelight Crew
I was doing some work on Membranes and Enzymes last night and thought of something.

5meodmt is found in the urine of schizophrenics, is it possible that a compound in the brain is actually causing the effects that is metabolized into 5meodmt? A compound that is active in its self, but in a way where the paranoid/delusional effects of psychedelics is more pronounced. Kind of like how alterations of structure cause one compound to be more stimulative, where others are more visual?

Just a thought, sorry if it makes no sense.

That is an interesting bit of information, i hope the AD crew is above this turning into a drinking urine thread though

What study shows that 5-MeO-DMT is found in the pee of crazies? Or rather, that amounts are found with them that are not found in 'normals?' Not questioning your word, just never seen this bit of info before.

I have read it in a journal somewhere, Im gonna check it out and try to get the exact source, Ill get back.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=6144308&dopt=Abstract

Here is the abstract, I dont have the full article

Its really interesting stuff, but my thought stemmed from reading about the Smooth Endoplasmic Reticulum, and its function in breaking down toxins

But maybe there is a compund that is in us that we dont know of that is and idol that posses the delusional side of the psychedelic experience. Just a random thought for discussion. And no robitussin, im not trying to say drink your pee, im trying to be more professional about this topic

the article mentions looking at cerebrospinal fluid, not urine. different beast but still in the body no less.
Why couldn;t the 5-meo be a deliriant of it's own? it certainly causes delusions and various stages of methylation of both the hydroxyl and the amine could provide a pharmacological gumbo of sorts that could be, at least partially, be implicated in schizophrenia.
pm me for the full article if you'd like

True Im ust have got the wrong one, There is another one that says the alkaloids are present in the urine, Ill try and get it tomarrow. Good catch though!

Endogenous psychoactive tryptamines reconsidered: an anxiolytic role for dimethyltryptamine. Jacob MS, Presti DE.

Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-3200, USA.

The presence of the potent hallucinogenic psychoactive chemical N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) in the human body has puzzled scientists for decades. Endogenous DMT was investigated in the 1960s and 1970s and it was proposed that DMT was involved in psychosis and schizophrenia. This hypothesis developed from comparisons of the blood and urine of schizophrenic and control subjects. However, much of this research proved inconclusive and conventional thinking has since held that trace levels of DMT, and other endogenous psychoactive tryptamines, are insignificant metabolic byproducts. The recent discovery of a G-protein-coupled, human trace amine receptor has triggered a reappraisal of the role of compounds present in limited concentrations in biological systems. Interestingly enough, DMT and other psychoactive tryptamine hallucinogens elicit a robust response at the trace amine receptor. While it is currently accepted that serotonin 5-HT(2A) receptors play a pivotal role in the activity of hallucinogenic/psychedelic compounds, we propose that the effects induced by exogenous DMT administration, especially at low doses, are due in part to activity at the trace amine receptor. Furthermore, we suggest that endogenous DMT interacts with the TA receptor to produce a calm and relaxed mental state, which may suppress, rather than promote, symptoms of psychosis. This hypothesis may help explain the inconsistency in the early analysis of endogenous DMT in humans. Finally, we propose that amphetamine action at the TA receptor may contribute to the calming effects of amphetamine and related drugs, especially at low doses.

Med Hypotheses. 2005;64(5):930-7.
PMID: 15780487 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

It seems like the higher concentrations aren't nearly high enough to explain mental phenomena, but I thought this was an interesting take on possible interaction with the trace amine receptor.

Finally, we propose that amphetamine action at the TA receptor may contribute to the calming effects of amphetamine and related drugs, especially at low doses.

I thought that ADHD was calmed by amphetamines as it increased the dopamine in *can't remember which structure!* which increased the reward obtained from studying/learning and that's why ADHD kids become quiet on amphetamine

Ventral tegmental area and nucleus accumbens?

I think you're right though, it seems like a good part of the effects can be attributed to increased reward. So that takes care of giving the desire to focus, but the ability to focus seems to be due to other processes. I'm not suggesting this has anything to do with the TA receptor.

Anybody who has read the P book will know--b/c they've done their homework no less--that the anykind of anything marker for schizophrenia is a faux hoax of the 20th century.

That's just stupid!

You don't piss 5-MeO-DMT.

Ventral tegmental area and nucleus accumbens?

Well they're the main reward areas for everything else so most likely (I must look in a book sometime!) and the nucleus accumbens is stuffed full of dopaminergic neurones so that seems right

I HAVE A SEVER CASE OF SKITSOPHRENIA,IM THE MOST PARANOID KID UL EVER TALK TO,so theoryreticly,i could drink my piss?and get high of 5me0dmt?,sounds a little strange,im not gonna go drink my piss or anything regardless of what the answer is,but what i want to konw,is how is it in skitsophrenics,im bi-polar as well,does that mean there is mdma in my piss,i have ocd,does that mean there is psylocibin in my piss?
piss is piss,no matter what the "illness"

^"im bi-polar as well,does that mean there is mdma in my piss,i have ocd,does that mean there is psylocibin in my piss?"

only one way to find out

(conduct a study, of course:p)

This is Advanced Drug Discussion, Not jackass discussion. PLease keep your smartass comments to your selves.

Well, low doses of DMT are very calming, it does killanxiety, a tiny toke off a bowl with some DMT in it during any other intense psychedelic trip (like your so out of your mind you want a break for example) will literally put the trip to an instant halt - the visuals stop, the tripped out thinking stops, and well.. your pretty sober. The only stuff it doesn't stop is color enhancement and minor things.

I've been tripping on 2C-T-4 watching all the walls crawl and move, we smoked some DMT the visuals just STOP.. for about 10-15 minutes. Toked up when i was "way the fuck out there" on 6-7mg DOC at a friends house and was exhausted so i toked the pipe to halt that.

Also during the technofest thingie around here every year, one year after several of us have been up for ...too long.. too many drugs, all snorted some MDA someone offered - well it wasn't just me who started seeing the shadow people and hearing voices, the kind where you look and nobody's there and there's a feeling of "oh fuck" we all just toked tiny doses of DMT because the voices/shadow people would go away.

I really can't know or give some reference but in all my time spent with DMT it seems to me (..subjective..of course) it affects dopamine a good degree, and a lot more stuff, low doses loosen the muscles and improve hand/eye coordination extremely well - 5-MeO-DMT does share some of the effects then has its own effects - psilocin or 4-AcO-DMT also share some of them like relaxation etc.. but they sure don't halt a trip like DMT can - feels like DMT just locks onto that receptor in a unique way and kicks most everything else out.

So .. who knows :)

Beenhead said:
This is Advanced Drug Discussion, Not jackass discussion. PLease keep your smartass comments to your selves.

Do I need to get out the big stick? The odd witty comment can be funny and is OK, but reducing it to the level of purile comments is not appreciated

I really can't know or give some reference but in all my time spent with DMT it seems to me (..subjective..of course) it affects dopamine a good degree

I actually think it's to do with the 5HT1a receptor (the one where the anti-anxiety agent buspirone acts) that's responsible for the low dose calming effects of DMT. I found that 5mg IM had the same sort of calming effect - a bit like having someone play with your hair or tickle your forehead. Of corse as the dose increases that gets lost in the 'oh my god' aspect of DMT's action