• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Quitting phenibut cold turkey

Fadedlyne

Greenlighter
Hey guys, I though i'd share my phenibut story. I'm mainly writing this because when I quit phenibut, I quit cold turkey and in reading every withdrawal post on multiple forums I didn't find one where some type of benzo or sleep medication wasn't used. I had no access to benzos or anything like that, I have no health insurance and didn't want to spend the money to get a script for anything to be honest, and I didn't want to admit to anybody I got myself addicted to this crap.

A little background about myself, never done any drugs other than weed and alcohol. I heard about phenibut on another forum I frequent back in January and placed an order for the hcl crystals. I've never had a history of anxiety or anything, just mainly an introvert and this seemed like some sort of miracle drug on days I went out with friends etc. I knew full well all about the possibilities of tolerance and withdrawal and was set on using this stuff once a week at the most. I kept it to that for about 3-4 weeks. That then turned into twice a week, then 3 times and eventually 4 times a week where I would go 4 on take 3 days off and repeat. I noticed on my 3 days off by the 2nd day I was feeling down and depressed and just felt shitty in general. I didn't realize this was me withdrawing from phenibut at the time. I eventually worked my way up to 5 days on 2 days off and then every other day followed by every day. I quit cold turkey in may for about 3 weeks, at that point I decided I'd take phenibut once a week max and promised myself that was it. Ha. Ha. That led me to where I'm at now, which is a month and a half strait of around 3g a day.....again. I've quit cold turkey twice now, and surprisingly both withdrawals were almost identical in length and effects.

I started out dosing about a gram give or take, I always just eyeballed the dose with the scoop that comes with the crystals. obviously my dosing didn't stay at 1g, I ended up taking 3g a day which is where I topped out at. The last 2 weeks prior to quitting I was taking 3 grams a day just to keep the withdrawals at bay. I wasn't getting any positive effects at this point, I just felt like a braindead zombie most of the day but no anxiety and I had no problems sleeping with this dose.

Last wednesday I decided I was going to just quit cold turkey. I took my last dose of phenibut at about 9pm last wednesday. I work nights so thats the equivalent of an afternoon dose for most people. Thursday night I was already feeling the withdrawals and got maybe 2 hours of sleep every time I closed my eyes I would have this rush of almost terror to the point I had to get up and take 2 showers throughout the night to calm my mind.

Friday, the 2nd day of no phenibut I was fine for the most part during the day, just a little on edge at work. it seems the bad panic attacks and anxiety happen at night. I felt like I was on stimulants all day which is interesting after only getting 2 hours of sleep the night prior. Friday night was a tough one, I didn't sleep. at all. I'd lay in bed and start panicking and my heart would start racing when I closed my eyes. This honestly scared the living hell out of me I felt like I wanted to die and actually thought about what it would be like to just end my life not that I ever would but the contemplation was there, I've never experienced anything like that. I ended up taking a shower a few times again that night and just gave up on trying to sleep and occupied my night with some video games and moves.

Saturday night, day 3. After 2 hours of sleep in total thursday/friday night. I could feel that I was exhausted mentally and physically. The anxiety of withdrawing wouldn't even be that bad but the complete lack of sleep by this point makes you feel like you are about to have a psychotic breakdown or something. It's all in your mind though, you just need to have something to keep you grounded really. I went out with a buddy and had 6 beers, came home smoked a bowl and it still took me around an hour and a half to fall asleep. I did get probly 3 hours of sleep though. I felt a little better when I woke up sunday, but I was still just out of it due the crippling insomnia coming off phenibut causes. That is by far the worst thing about it.

Sunday day 4; I didn't have to go to work today so I basically just laid around my apartment and played video games with my roommate. Thats how I spent most of my spare time throughout the whole process, I didn't even enjoy it, it was just something to do instead of sitting around obsessing about withdrawing and psyching myself out further. Sunday night I laid down, and I wasnt freaking out like I was the last 3 days. I ate a few cannabis edibles, and proceeded to pass out for about 7 hours. I woke up monday morning and knew that the worst was over. You can really just feel the withdrawal symptoms float away, its a really really great feeling.

Monday/tuesday days 5 and 6; I feel as if once you manage to get a full nights rest thats the end of the really bad part of phenibut withdrawals. These 2 days I just felt sort of run down and fatigued, most likely from sleeping 5 hours in 3 nights. my body just needed to catch up on sleep. I only got around 6 hours of broken sleep monday night, tuesday night I slept 7 hours un-interrupted. no bad panic attacks or anything like that when trying to fall asleep.

Today is day 7. No anxiety to speak of today, I'm actually in a much better mood than I have been in a long time. Slept a full 8 hours last night and it felt amazing. I don't foresee anymore withdrawal issues at this point

All in all, phenibut is a great supplement for certain people. If you can keep it in check and actually stick to using it once a week you will have no problems with it. I never had an issue with phenibut until I got to the 4 days a week 3 days off cycle. Long term use is horrible however every positive effect that is enjoyable about phenibut no longer exists, you are simply taking a drug masked as a supplement to stave off some nasty withdrawals at that point. I do not see a need to taper off phenibut like many recommend though, from the posts and logs I've read it seems as if tapering just draws out the withdrawal process. Quitting cold turkey is a few days of misery, but it can be done. It's not gonna be comfortable by any means, and you may feel like you are gonna lose your shit but you wont, it's just all a mind game that you must power through for a few days and the worst will be over. Phenibut is not a benzo, there is no risk of having seizures by quitting cold turkey. I just flushed the rest of my stash down the toilet, never again am I jumpin back on this train the rewards are not worth the 3-4 days of living hell when you quit taking it. Please use caution if you are thinking about trying phenibut.

Looking back after coming off this drug, this stuff will change who you are if you use it long term. You will make decisions you wouldn't normally make and do things you wouldn't normally do. I've found phenibut made me very impulsive with sex, food, and just a lot of things in general. It's like I was living my life based on impulses, while being on phenibut its so easy to just not care about possible consequences.

I took phenibut almost every single day for between 1 and 2 years, back in 2007/2008. I actually had no idea it was dependence-forming because it was much newer then and people were touting it as safe and non-addictive. I loved how it made me feel so I took it with my nootropic stack every morning and often another dose later in the day. Probably 2.5-3 grams total daily. Eventually I didn't get a lot from it (usually), it was just part of my stack.

I moved eventually and lost my nearly full 100 gram tub in the move, and after a full day where I felt fine, I woke the next morning and felt incredibly anxious. I soon realized it was because of the phenibut. I was also addicted to opiates at the time so I got pretty freaked out. I had just moved and was stressed about that, and about my new mortgage payment and recent moving costs (which meant I had no extra money for anything for a while including phenibut). I struggled through it for that day, and the next day I went back to my old apartment to turn in the key and grab the last things from there, and I checked my mail, and discovered that I had received a few pregabalin (Lyrica) pills from a friend. I knew that they were somewhat similar so eagerly I took like 300mg of pregabalin. Within an hour I felt fine, and an hour after that I started to feel AMAZING, like super phenibut without any of the negatives (joint soreness, etc). That whole day I had such a beautiful day, but the next day I resumed my phenibut withdrawal.

I only had enough pregabalin for one more, so I struggled through the next 3 days. I didn't really feel like I was withdrawing physically, it was nearly 100% mental/emotional, but emotionally I was devastated, it's some of the lowest I have ever felt. Intense depression and anxiety to the point where nothing could make me feel better. My then-wife wanted wanted to have sex in our new house and I couldn't bring myself to do it, I felt too terrible and sad and afraid. Every worry and fear I had was highly magnified and extremely painful. I was able to sleep though.

On day 5, I took 300mg of pregabalin again and again had a great day, almost as good as the first time, and felt no withdrawal whatsoever. Then on day 6 and 7 I felt the same withdrawal anxiety, but quite a bit less, especially on day 7. By then I was starting to feel more positive and steady. On day 8 I woke up and felt pretty much fine, well, as fine as you can while you're addicted to opiates. I didn't touch phenibut again for at least a year. Since then I have had phenibut around during periods of time and not had it around for periods of time. I've taken it every day for up to a week before since then I never felt withdrawal again. Currently I'm taking it every other day for a week and then a bit less for a week, I haven't had any troubles. This is unusual because I find with most things (especially opiates), once you've been physically dependent you'll get back there again very easily. Doesn't seem to be the case (for me) with phenibut though.

Overall phenibut can be a great substance but you have to be careful. Also it's hard to dose right, it's easy to take a bit too little (and feel basically nothing) or a bit too much (and get a sore body, weird feelings, and dysphoria). I found the withdrawal to be difficult but it didn't feel physical at all. I know several people who claimed that withdrawing from phenibut was much worse than withdrawing from GHB/GBL. I've never had GHB/GBL but I find it difficult to believe that, for me, those wouldn't have been much worse, just from what I have heard about those withdrawals. But we're all different. As far as cold turkey, I found phenibut to be easier to do than opiates by far, and it doesn't last that long.

^Excellent report. I believe a lot of the withdrawal has to do with a downregulation of GABA receptors AND more importantly a dopaminergic rebound. This makes withdrawal INTENSE. I had some serious primal fear unlike anything I've ever felt before (read: the kind of fear you'd experience if someone was holding a loaded gun to your head) while in Phenibut withdrawal. However it does pass and when it does it is over and done with unlike opiates and benzo's where withdrawal/PAWS can linger for months or years.

There is a point where Phenibut no longer has any effect beyond the anxiolysis.. basically you build a rapid tolerance to the euphoric effects that I believe are some downstream dopamine & serotonin release or reuptake inhibition. The reason I feel the latter is true is because moving your body and MUSIC SOUNDS AMAZING on Phenibut, very much like MDMA does. Of course this is anecdotal, but with many of these non-FDA approved drugs that is really all we have to go on since there is no money for scientific research.

Also my claim of a dopaminergic surge is based on my own near-psychotic break with full on CEV/OEV and internal voices in my head (I have no history of psychosis) that was completely remedied with Seroquel (an anti-psychotic).

So glad to have read this. I have been preparing for ibogaine and needing to kick the wreckless 3 month use of phenibut. Rarely measured when I started with crystals was probably taking 8 grams a day. Luckily a month ago when I ordered I got the order of 200 grams I got the powder type. I haven't had scales to measure exactly but have been taking a tsp (think 3gs)once a day and managed to skip a day or two here and there. Haven't let it get past the 24 hr mark yet but I'm sure that's when I'll really feel it. I'm in the most emotional critical part of my life right now so it's not going to be very good timing but I'm positive after the ibogaine I will feel on top of the world after my ten year opiate habit. I'm ready for my family to see the glow in my eyes. I just started using 1/2 tsp of the powder this morning and haven't felt bad. I also have the aid of some benzo (never been addicted to or felt w/d). I am also 8 days clean of 3 month 2mg sub usage. I've got kratom and uei to continue clearing my receptors from the sub for the ibogaine and I'm hoping if the worst of the phen w/d is mental and fatigue then the uei and minimal benzo will be of good assistance. My attempt is to take 1 gram tomorrow morning, .5 the next and .25 Sunday. If I get to where I can't function then I'll try a different route but by the way you guys talk its nothing a strong willed man can't handle.

Agpilot, you got this man. Wish you nothing but the best! Just take it for what it is, its gonna be a few days of shit but nothing you can't handle. Power through it and you'll be on the other side of the tunel in no time. Day 9 now for me and everything is back to normal

Wow, I just made a post asking this specific thing. If anyone has done this without medication. I have been tapering off a 4 gram a day habit and I am down to 1.5 grams. I tried to see a psychiatrist and they wanted me to go to a detox with no insurance. Being an addict for 7 years now I am so done with those places. I have had the worst panic attacks ever. I can't smoke weed because it sends me into a panic attack. I use to smoke all the time!! So that has definitely sucked. Also I have had some trouble sleeping and nightmares and not to forget the stomach issues OMG!!!! Do you really suggest jumping off? I am waiting on some isa kava which I have never tried and it wont be here for another 3-4 days. What would you do if you were me. I have managed to get through the panic attacks but just because I know its all in my head and I wont die doesn't mean I don't still feel like I am!!! AAhhh!! Is it going to be a 24 hour panic attack??? Please help me.
Alone and scared

L-Theanine was the only supplement that would stop a Phenibut withdrawal-induced panic attack pretty much cold for me. Kava was good at preventing the attacks but wouldn't help if one had already presented. Gabapentin and Lyrica are also interchangeable with Phenibut in terms of completely removing withdrawal, but that is going to just prolong the suffering. Perhaps a taper with Gabapentin - ask your doctor, it's unscheduled and generic.

I took phenibut almost every single day for between 1 and 2 years, back in 2007/2008. I actually had no idea it was dependence-forming because it was much newer then and people were touting it as safe and non-addictive. I loved how it made me feel so I took it with my nootropic stack every morning and often another dose later in the day. Probably 2.5-3 grams total daily. Eventually I didn't get a lot from it (usually), it was just part of my stack.

I moved eventually and lost my nearly full 100 gram tub in the move, and after a full day where I felt fine, I woke the next morning and felt incredibly anxious. I soon realized it was because of the phenibut. I was also addicted to opiates at the time so I got pretty freaked out. I had just moved and was stressed about that, and about my new mortgage payment and recent moving costs (which meant I had no extra money for anything for a while including phenibut). I struggled through it for that day, and the next day I went back to my old apartment to turn in the key and grab the last things from there, and I checked my mail, and discovered that I had received a few pregabalin (Lyrica) pills from a friend. I knew that they were somewhat similar so eagerly I took like 300mg of pregabalin. Within an hour I felt fine, and an hour after that I started to feel AMAZING, like super phenibut without any of the negatives (joint soreness, etc). That whole day I had such a beautiful day, but the next day I resumed my phenibut withdrawal.

I only had enough pregabalin for one more, so I struggled through the next 3 days. I didn't really feel like I was withdrawing physically, it was nearly 100% mental/emotional, but emotionally I was devastated, it's some of the lowest I have ever felt. Intense depression and anxiety to the point where nothing could make me feel better. My then-wife wanted wanted to have sex in our new house and I couldn't bring myself to do it, I felt too terrible and sad and afraid. Every worry and fear I had was highly magnified and extremely painful. I was able to sleep though.

On day 5, I took 300mg of pregabalin again and again had a great day, almost as good as the first time, and felt no withdrawal whatsoever. Then on day 6 and 7 I felt the same withdrawal anxiety, but quite a bit less, especially on day 7. By then I was starting to feel more positive and steady. On day 8 I woke up and felt pretty much fine, well, as fine as you can while you're addicted to opiates. I didn't touch phenibut again for at least a year. Since then I have had phenibut around during periods of time and not had it around for periods of time. I've taken it every day for up to a week before since then I never felt withdrawal again. Currently I'm taking it every other day for a week and then a bit less for a week, I haven't had any troubles. This is unusual because I find with most things (especially opiates), once you've been physically dependent you'll get back there again very easily. Doesn't seem to be the case (for me) with phenibut though.

Overall phenibut can be a great substance but you have to be careful. Also it's hard to dose right, it's easy to take a bit too little (and feel basically nothing) or a bit too much (and get a sore body, weird feelings, and dysphoria). I found the withdrawal to be difficult but it didn't feel physical at all. I know several people who claimed that withdrawing from phenibut was much worse than withdrawing from GHB/GBL. I've never had GHB/GBL but I find it difficult to believe that, for me, those wouldn't have been much worse, just from what I have heard about those withdrawals. But we're all different. As far as cold turkey, I found phenibut to be easier to do than opiates by far, and it doesn't last that long.

I do see your point about it being "super phenibut" and though I do love my lyrica once in a blue moon, it is a lot less clear headed and not as much stimulating/euphoria for me personally, while euphoric and feel good in its own light, much more trippy and clouded. Phenibut is seemingly more speedy to me almost like amphetamine and lyrica can give me a boost that keeps me up, it is just a little bit more heady in nature. Phenibut is like a nice day with the sun shining down on you with a smile, while Lyrica is a lot like that day but you float up to the clouds..

L-Theanine was the only supplement that would stop a Phenibut withdrawal-induced panic attack pretty much cold for me. Kava was good at preventing the attacks but wouldn't help if one had already presented. Gabapentin and Lyrica are also interchangeable with Phenibut in terms of completely removing withdrawal, but that is going to just prolong the suffering. Perhaps a taper with Gabapentin - ask your doctor, it's unscheduled and generic.

What does of l-theanine?

Does = dose? I weigh out a 400mg dose of pure powder.

Lol, yes the dose.

I passed all my English classes needed in life and am quite well spoken, all sounds good in my head, and yet I end up typing it out like a tard.

Might try that dose myself and see if I get anything out of it tonight.

Yo! Hey friend! I'm in a shitty situation right now let me tell you.

My anxiety this morning was so bad I was actually wondering how I could end my life. Yeah. I just felt way too shitty. I'm coming off opiates and fenibut (phenibut?) right now. Trying to get my life back in order. In my time I've come off pregabalin and gabapentin more times that I care to remember. The thing about these GABA drugs is that if you've got an okay frame of mind then it's not too difficult. I told my partner, who's totally straightedged, that with GABA drugs you basically put a flag up saying "I'm ready to stop taking these now". And then you wait 1-a few days until you hit *that moment* when stopping is easy. No cravings, no nothing, just anxiety, depression, bad reflections.

The WORST one I came off was a daily dose of 1g pregablin. I had nightmares, shakes, no appetite, didn't care about anything positive whatsoever.

But yeah so I recently... 2 days ago now... quit phenibut. I thought I'd man up and look at what other people say about it. Out of all the ones that came up on Duckduckgo yours is the most accurate to my own experience.

I was taking 1-3g phenibut a day for anxiety. The first fortnight I was on it was the best drug experience of my life no joke. It was cheap, safe, made me feel a king. So I stuck with it too long (months). I missed a few days here and there and each time the withdrawals weren't bad. Until this current one. I just got back from hospital as I was freaking the fuck out. I didn't care for life any more. I'd never had anything this extreme. That started on day 2 and peaked early on day 3 (today). But right now... after reading your post... I feel done with it. No joke my anxiety has gone out the house. I expect it'll rebound all over the place and that it'll fully be done with around day 5 to 7.

(just finished reading the other posts in this thread. Really gotta say this is the best thread of withdrawal experiences on Phenibut. I know we're all different etc but I found some reddit threads and it's like "dude, are you sure that was phenibut?!". Thanks all. That "super depression" really nails it. None of my other fun meds put a dent in the shitness I was feeling. It's weird how realistic that depression is too. No amount of "it's withdrawal" comments work. It seems like this is how it always has been, and always will. And then... it passes, motivation, excitement all return.)