• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quitting Fentanyl - Methadone Clinic feedback and other info

Nickylimes

Greenlighter
Hey everyone,

I have been using street fentanyl everyday since January and I am up to about 10- 15 pills a day. I used to just snort them but now I barely snort and just smoke them. I am done with the rat race and have troubles finding them and simply cannot afford it anymore. I have an appointment at the methadone clinic tomorrow at 6 am and I have a few questions.

Will methadone take away most of the withdrawal pains? Some of the withdrawal pains? Or none of them?

Years ago I quit oxy/heroin with Subutex and by moving to a different state entirely where I could not get any. Managed to quit for 4 years but slipped earlier this year due to stress from work.

Anyways, I tried doing Suboxone after 24 hours I took them and they did not take away discomfort but they didn't throw me into total PAWS either. I ended up caving and just doing some fentanyl so I felt comfortable.

I have been reading that methadone is better to rotate to first then go from there to taper down to nothing but I just do not see any threads with details on the experience of switching from fentanyl to methadone.

Does anyone have any experience or can anyone tell me what to expect with my experience tomorrow?? I have 1/2 of a pill I am about to smoke but then will have about 8 hours of nothing before going into the clinic.

I appreciate all of your help on the topic and look forward to some shared experiences and insight.

I will blog out my experience here so that it might help others that end up going through the same experience that I am

Methadone is strong enough to ease the cravings and match the power of fent--especially probably for someone with your habits who has become accustomed to fent.

But I must tell you that methadone has an absurdly long half life in comparison to fent which is relatively shorter. You might regret being on methadone in the long run because the withdrawal is in itself it's own level of hell that has been described as more unbearable than fent withdrawal from many. Even though suboxone would produce discomfort at first, if you were ready to be clean and had a good professional to help you that way might be better in the long run.

Regardless, methadone would be a good option for you it's just important to note that so many have been unable to get off the substance itself. If you do decide on methadone, I highly suggest sticking with methadone only because throwing fentynal on top of that would just be reckoning for an overdose. I know how enticing fentynal and getting high can be, it's just no substance on its own is going to be a miracle for overcoming opiate addiction. Everything has a unique price and nobody breaks out with out going through some form of hell here or there. Good luck!

Nickylimes ... I don't envy you going on methadone. I've had to kick heroin five times in my life...the first three times I chose cold turkey rather than methadone.
Don't know if this is an option for you, but... I was on prescribed fentanyl for about 8 years for back pain, ending up on100 mcg/hr patches. At my request, my pain management doctor weaned me off over 4 months. She prescribed smaller patches until I was down to 25mcg, then I quit. I had a little discomfort afterwards, but only a couple of days. That was over two years ago. Now, I live in Oregon and use cannabis products for pain. Good luck!

Methadone is strong enough to ease the cravings and match the power of fent--especially probably for someone with your habits who has become accustomed to fent.

But I must tell you that methadone has an absurdly long half life in comparison to fent which is relatively shorter. You might regret being on methadone in the long run because the withdrawal is in itself it's own level of hell that has been described as more unbearable than fent withdrawal from many. Even though suboxone would produce discomfort at first, if you were ready to be clean and had a good professional to help you that way might be better in the long run.

Regardless, methadone would be a good option for you it's just important to note that so many have been unable to get off the substance itself. If you do decide on methadone, I highly suggest sticking with methadone only because throwing fentynal on top of that would just be reckoning for an overdose. I know how enticing fentynal and getting high can be, it's just no substance on its own is going to be a miracle for overcoming opiate addiction. Everything has a unique price and nobody breaks out with out going through some form of hell here or there. Good luck!

Thanks for the fast and great reply! Is it possible to slowly taper off methadone after a short period of time? I certainly don't want to get locked into a worse situation than I am in. My end goal is to stop opiates all together again.

Nickylimes ... I don't envy you going on methadone. I've had to kick heroin five times in my life...the first three times I chose cold turkey rather than methadone.
Don't know if this is an option for you, but... I was on prescribed fentanyl for about 8 years for back pain, ending up on100 mcg/hr patches. At my request, my pain management doctor weaned me off over 4 months. She prescribed smaller patches until I was down to 25mcg, then I quit. I had a little discomfort afterwards, but only a couple of days. That was over two years ago. Now, I live in Oregon and use cannabis products for pain. Good luck!

Hello PDX,

I do not have the option to taper with medical professional help. I chose the methadone clinic because of the price and ease. I am hoping that I can switch over to methadone and taper rather fast. I do not want to be on methadone for years. Or even months for that matter. I intend to ask about a fast taper method that might be a six week option of it exists.

Thanks for the fast and great reply! Is it possible to slowly taper off methadone after a short period of time? I certainly don't want to get locked into a worse situation than I am in. My end goal is to stop opiates all together again.

There are cases where many people are tapered down off methadone (I'd imagine they didn't cheat to get high here and there but honestly who really knows with "junkies" LOL no offense to anyone who enjoys opiates but they usually aren't the most honest of patients). The problem is getting off that finally bit of methadone. They think that because it's such a tiny amount that they won't face noticeable withdrawal symptoms... but they believe me they do. It's the final jump from a little bit of methadone to nothing that will prove to be the real test in my opinion. You're going to face.... something.

I actually recently withdrew from fent cold turkey. I imagine it was not from a habit as high as yours, but believe me it was 12 miserable disgusting days of just sweating with no will to live. However, by day 13 I was at least through the woods enough to walk around like a normal person and I did not feel the same withdrawal at all that I had felt the days before that. I know it's so painful to think about, but if you're truly invested into breaking the cycle knowing what I do now about suboxone I'd probably just do it the most painful and quick way. Anything else is a bandaid on a problem that is so hard to contain one way or another. There's no best way to do it... it's all going to suck. And I commend you for wanting to get clean, but I'd rather tell you the truth than lie on a message board about a problem that I had myself and still kind of have (I'm on subs atm for a whopping kratom/oxy habit). I kind of regret it now come to think about it. I'm in for some pain when these subs run out. Might even be harder to face than if I had just tapered down or gone cold turkey altogether. That's opiates/opioids for you. They lock you in a neverending fun world of pain unless you can just walk away and not look back. That's not to say methadone/suboxone haven't saved lives, they just haven't done so for "scott free." Every substance is a trade for trade.

No matter what you decide or whether you're successful or not, just make sure you appreciate any clean time you have. It could last forever or it could last 2 weeks. You really never can predict your own actions and that's the most horrifying part. From what I've seen though, people make it out of opiate addiction as long as they don't give up quitting. It's the ones that are exhausted of trying to do it that end up being a junkie for life. I don't know any junkies for life who were stuck knee deep in opiate addiction until the end of time who didn't stop giving up trying to become clean. So eventually you'd do it with the right mindset.

Last edited:
There are cases where many people are tapered down off methadone (I'd imagine they didn't cheat to get high here and there but honestly who really knows with "junkies" LOL no offense to anyone who enjoys opiates but they usually aren't the most honest of patients). The problem is getting off that finally bit of methadone. They think that because it's such a tiny amount that they won't face noticeable withdrawal symptoms... but they believe me they do. It's the final jump from a little bit of methadone to nothing that will prove to be the real test in my opinion. You're going to face.... something.

I actually recently withdrew from fent cold turkey. I imagine it was not from a habit as high as yours, but believe me it was 12 miserable disgusting days of just sweating with no will to live. However, by day 13 I was at least through the woods enough to walk around like a normal person and I did not feel the same withdrawal at all that I had felt the days before that. I know it's so painful to think about, but if you're truly invested into breaking the cycle knowing what I do now about suboxone I'd probably just do it the most painful and quick way. Anything else is a bandaid on a problem that is so hard to contain one way or another. There's no best way to do it... it's all going to suck. And I commend you for wanting to get clean, but I'd rather tell you the truth than lie on a message board about a problem that I had myself and still kind of have (I'm on subs atm for a whopping kratom/oxy habit). I kind of regret it now come to think about it. I'm in for some pain when these subs run out. Might even be harder to face than if I had just tapered down or gone cold turkey altogether. That's opiates/opioids for you. They lock you in a neverending fun world of pain unless you can just walk away and not look back. That's not to say methadone/suboxone haven't saved lives, they just haven't done so for "scott free." Every substance is a trade for trade.

No matter what you decide or whether you're successful or not, just make sure you appreciate any clean time you have. It could last forever or it could last 2 weeks. You really never can predict your own actions and that's the most horrifying part. From what I've seen though, people make it out of opiate addiction as long as they don't give up quitting. It's the ones that are exhausted of trying to do it that end up being a junkie for life. I don't know any junkies for life who were stuck knee deep in opiate addiction until the end of time who didn't stop giving up trying to become clean. So eventually you'd do it with the right mindset.

PDXman here..the last time I kicked heroin was 11 years ago
..i was 58. I called a rehab and questioned how they treated heroin addiction. I had to go through 24 hours after my last hit, and it was hell. (The older I get, the worse the withdrawal). Thankfully they gave me suboxone after the 24 hour period. Within 5 days they had tapered me off the suboxone, and I felt like I had the flu for one day. After that, the only complaint i had was the "kicking" of my legs, and arms. It was like i had a major restless leg problem, for which I still take medication.
The suboxone for 5 days is the best method for quitting heroin that I've experienced, and I've kicked heroin 5 times (and oxys once).
If anyone is considering a rehab for opiate addiction, call different rehabs and ask them what their program involves. It made a huge difference for me. Eleven years have passed since my last opiate habit controlled my life. Good luck and may peace be your companion.

well done on taking action to get your life back.

in the UK we don't really have fent so much so I can't really comment. an appropriate dose of methadone should hold you from the fent so make sure you're honest with them. also, get some help for the psychological aspect of addiction. this should help you to avoid relapsing again in the future. the clinic may be able to refer you to services where you can get some group therapy, or if yopu're really lucky 1-1. you could also try mutual support meetings like NA or SMART.

Well that didn't work.... I have not logged in here for a while now. I was able to go about 30 days on just methadone.. But then found myself doing both fentanyl and methadone for a few months.. Then stopped the methadone about two months ago and now i am just addicted to fentanyl.. I have 44 sub strips and I am going to try those next. But honestly at this point I am tired, broke, about to lose everything and I just want to be off the chase. I am also really mentally exhausted. Not only from trying to quit but from the effects of fentanyl. I only smoke them at the time being. Snorting them makes my stomach and body hurt too much. I don't even get much of a high anymore either. I just get a normal feeling. I smoked 4 pills at 4am ish and then one about an hour ago. Will 24 hours be long enough to be able to take a sub? I am not even sure I can make it 24 hours.. It will be extremely unpleasant for sure.

I need way more help quitting than what is available to me. I am single no kids, never been married, no pets,no roommate. I am all alone in this apartment with just myself and my thoughts. This makes for a very complicated process and almost feels like I'm just inside of my own little prison here. The biggest hurdle is the solidarity to go along with this addiction. Basically what I'm saying is isolation plus addiction equals extreme complication when trying to fight my own demons.

The methadone clinic was a turn table that was just going to feed me juice as long as I would give them money. They did little else aside from issuing the juice. I would love to say it was because of Covid that they were like that but I am pretty sure that is how that place always is.

Last edited:
Well that didn't work.... I have not logged in here for a while now. I was able to go about 30 days on just methadone.. But then found myself doing both fentanyl and methadone for a few months.. Then stopped the methadone about two months ago and now i am just addicted to fentanyl.. I have 44 sub strips and I am going to try those next. But honestly at this point I am tired, broke, about to lose everything and I just want to be off the chase. I am also really mentally exhausted. Not only from trying to quit but from the effects of fentanyl. I only smoke them at the time being. Snorting them makes my stomach and body hurt too much. I don't even get much of a high anymore either. I just get a normal feeling. I smoked 4 pills at 4am ish and then one about an hour ago. Will 24 hours be long enough to be able to take a sub? I am not even sure I can make it 24 hours.. It will be extremely unpleasant for sure.

I need way more help quitting than what is available to me. I am single no kids, never been married, no pets,no roommate. I am all alone in this apartment with just myself and my thoughts. This makes for a very complicated process and almost feels like I'm just inside of my own little prison here. The biggest hurdle is the solidarity to go along with this addiction. Basically what I'm saying is isolation plus addiction equals extreme complication when trying to fight my own demons.

The methadone clinic was a turn table that was just going to feed me juice as long as I would give them money. They did little else aside from issuing the juice. I would love to say it was because of Covid that they were like that but I am pretty sure that is how that place always is.
Dude ive been there. It sucks. In fact I'm still there if I'm being honest. An inmate in a prison of my own making. Noone to talk to. Noone to understand. Solitude is torture. I'm here for you. My email is [email protected]

Methadone isnt a solution itself. It is a bandaid to use while you fix the real issues, which are in your head. You cant just stop doing drugs and expect to no longer be an addict. Get into therapy, deal with trauma, mature your perspective, learn coping skills, self care, etc.

Most clinics dont offer a ton of support. You will have to find that on your own. Self help groups, NA or otherwise, CBT (therapy), exercise, diet, family reconciliation/support, all stuff that takes hard work, but will help.