• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Questions about my Xanax taper (and Suboxone taper)

Does anybody know if the one day on 72 hours off rule applies to subutex. My Xanax taper is killing me and if I take less than a mg of sub I might sleep more than half an hour. I don't want to shoot horse, I might not ever stop with the Xanax wreaking havoc. My last sub dose was Sunday around noon. And I don't want to add ANOTHER taper. I just want to sleep and nothing I've tried is working.

Wondering if a small dose of sub could calm me down but don't want to risk adding more addictions, it's been over 72 hours. Any advice?

Don't worry about taking a bit of buprenorphine if you need it. It won't negate all the progress you've made by a long shot. Try like 0.5mg if it's been three days since your last dose. Shouldn't be a problem.

I take it you didn't get any referrals? This guy clearly has next to no idea how to handle benzodiazepine tapers or detoxes. Especially when dealing with a patient also dealing with opioid use disorder.

Why is this rule you speak of? Subutex is essentially the same medication as Suboxone, only with naloxone. For your purposes they work the same as one another. Another 0.5mg to 2mg of buprenoprhine, regardless if it's from Subutex or Subuxone, won't add another taper. It will just clear up the stress you're currently dealing with (which, frankly, sounds more like it's coming from opioid withdrawal and the stress of dealing with a SHIT doctor than the benzo taper, though I imagine that is compounding everything).

That's correct, no referrals from my gp who prescribed them. I'm seeing my psychiatrist in 2 weeks who expects me to have dropped from 3 to 2 in that time, which I don't think I'll be able to have done. In 2 weeks at best I could do .25 a week. .5 of sub helped me sleep for a bit without .25 of my Xanax night dose, but the fear of getting hooked on those means i won't touch it sub again for another 72 hours.

I was referring to the standard "wait 72 hours between opiate doses" rule since I planned to use a small enough amount for full agonist effects. I see you replied to my thread as well, sorry for double posting

No worries, I moved your posts to your original thread here, as I tend to do :)

That's correct, no referrals from my gp who prescribed them. I'm seeing my psychiatrist in 2 weeks who expects me to have dropped from 3 to 2 in that time, which I don't think I'll be able to have done. In 2 weeks at best I could do .25 a week. .5 of sub helped me sleep for a bit without .25 of my Xanax night dose, but the fear of getting hooked on those means i won't touch it sub again for another 72 hours.

Gotcha, now I get it. Glad you were able to get some rest!!!

there has got to be something to help me sleep. I know opiates will work but cannot risk picking up a habit. There's gotta be something I can use for the days in between. I've tried weed, Benadryl, NyQuil, unisom, kava (straight fresh from a kava bar), working out until my legs are jelly, and the only things that get me through are alcohol (a can of four loko consumed as fast as possible) and opiates. I'm a heroin addict trying to not pick up another habit, and alcohol, from
What I've read, will fuck up my gaba receptors even more. I have .5 mg left of sub and I'm afraid if I do it 2 days in a row I'll be even sicker than i am right now. Could that be true or is it that weak enough to not really bother me.

If you're concerned split the dose into two of 0.25mg. That will get you two more day out of it. And if you can try to skip a day between.

What about gabapentin or baclofen and clonidine? Those should really help you get some sleep and if you only use them for a couple weeks to a month you won't pick up a new habit. I found baclofen to work a bit better than gabapentin, primarily because you don't build up so much of a tolerance to it so quickly. I also found it to work a lot better than pregabalin, considering that it's a bit more sedating with muscle relaxant properties.

Be careful, NyQuil and Unisom (with the antihistamine doxylamine) can exacerbate RLS. And what about melatonin, that can be very useful. A dose of DXM between around 90-150mg can be really helpful when dealing with opioid withdrawal as well, if you can't get anything like gabapentin or baclofen I mean.

TPD I feel like I'm hammering you with questions, I just responded to you via message

No worries my friend, if I am not able to response I won't (until I can I mean) ;) This is why I'm here after all!

However, it is better to ask questions in this thread, because that will increase the quality of the feedback you'll receive. I might be a bit of a drug geek, but there are lots of other equally knowledgable folks all over BL that will be able to also help out.

Good point. So update for anyone reading this, psy doc wants me to drop at .5 a week. Going from 8 to 3 was not so bad, 3 to 2.5 is absolutely brutal so I slowed it to .25 a week. He also prescribed me zoloft, which I am terrified to touch at this point. I have a very demanding job in finance and without sleep my performance is suffering. Even at a .25 drop I'm shaking like a leaf and reading numbers backwards. If I could get time off work I'd be in a detox right now but I fully support myself as I changed states since I was a (and still probably am) a heroin addict. In fact the only relief I get is dosing with an opiate every 72 hours (out of fear of becoming addicted again). I have to wait until the end of the month to see this doctor again. In the meantime i have to sleep. It takes 200 mg of unisom to get an hour or 2. I even tried to drink myself to sleep, worked for an hour or 2. There has to be something that exists that I could get to help, besides an opiate. I do NOT want to become a full blown heroin addict AGAIN but I've never wanted to use as much as I do right now.

Have you ever tried Valerian Root, even in a higher dose than they say in the bottle? Mine says take 3; I've taken twice that.

It's not a heavy hitter for me but does help. Some say they get no benefit from it, others swear by it, and so you have the fact that literally evey body is different. You'll only know if you try it. It's a supplement able to be found at most drug stores and many grocery stores.

Best of luck hon.

Peace. Xo

Edit: I find I feel best when regularly taking copious amounts of vitamin c and drinking an ounce or two a day of liquid magnesium citrate. The vitamin.c.helps me feel better overall in general, and the magnesium us actually a muscle relaxant and can aid with anxiety and restlessness. It us insanely inexpensive in this form, sold as a laxative. I find I need to drink half or more of a.bottle to have that effect. So, an ounce or two a day does not leave me running to the bathroom if youre worried. Try it on a friday night if you wanna test it.

Best to take before bed as it can add to relaxation.

I might try valerian with it for anxiety, restlessness, and for sleep.

Again, it's an aid, not equal to taking a xan.bar or anything.

But it helps.

Peace. Xo

Nothing over the counter ever worked for me during the end of my ween and in wds and paws melotonin, valerian root etc nothing. Like TPD said gabapentin or pregabapentin it has worked for me also trazodone works good for sleep.