Question about thyroid hormones, dosages, risks

sacsky

Bluelighter
I am taking T3 and T4 for hypothyroidism. I also have antibodies which is why my doc said I probably have Hashimoto.
But what sucks is that the thyroid hormones don't make me feel better. When I went on them I thought this could help with energy and depression but it doesn't. I don't know
why.

It started 2 years ago when I went to an intern.
He diagnosed me with latent hypothyroidism and gave me a weird protocol.
I should slowly move up to 100mcg T4 + 50 mcg T3 daily. This was a way too high dose. It made me become hyperthyroid (ft3 was far above the normal range).
I didn't really have many side effects which was strange. But what I noticed was that I lost weight even though I
was eating normal. This was kinda cool. But when I found out that my ft3 levels were way too high I had to stop
and get off the T3. I went to a new doc and he said that the protocol of the other doc was crazy and that I should
only take T4.

Recently I went to a doc and got my thyroid levels checked and since my ft3 levels were only at 50% the new doc advised me to
take 100 mcg T4 + 10 mcg T3 daily.
I have now started adding 10mcg T3. But what's strange is that I do not feel the T3 at all. And what's also strange is that the "weightloss effect
of the T3" isn't present now. I have been on the additional 10 mcg T3 for almost 2 months now and I've gained at least 8lbs fat since then.

The doc told me most people notice T3 and get a boost which lasts for a few hours and they also notice when the T3 wears off.
But I notice nothing at all. Even when I take the T3 I'm still tired most of the day and don't have much energy.

I also wonder do the ft3 and ft4 levels have to stay within the normal range? What if for example your levels are above the normal range?
Would this automatically be dangerous? Or are there people who may need levels which are above the normal range?

If the T3 doesn't really make a difference then should I keep taking it? Or should I ask my doc to raise the dose and see if this makes a difference?
Should I try to get ft4 and ft3 to the top of the normal range? I really don't know what I should aim for. It all depends on wether this is safe and makes sense or not.

I heard that thyroid hormones can cause osteoporosis. I already know that I have a lower bone density than normal, probably because of having low T for so long.
It sucks. I really don't know what to do. I mean if something made me feel better then it would be okay but if it doesn't make me feel better then I dont know
if it makes sense.

Oh... you kinda suck...lol

Low thyroid should easily be treated via T-4 and or T-3....
For a healthy functioning thyroid gland make sure you have adequate dietary iodine and selenium... 5 brazil nuts/day should give you sufficient levels of those minerals....You could also try kelp and or himalayan sea salt...

But the problem is that since I have antibodies my doc told me to avoid iodine in foods and multivitamins!

But I also read that iodine is important for the brain and intelligence. I don't know what to do now. :(

Officially when you have hashimoto you should avoid iodine. I even stopped using my multivitamins cause they have iodine and switched to another brand.

But the problem is that since I have antibodies my doc told me to avoid iodine in foods and multivitamins!

But I also read that iodine is important for the brain and intelligence. I don't know what to do now. :(

Officially when you have hashimoto you should avoid iodine. I even stopped using my multivitamins cause they have iodine and switched to another brand.

That is correct... If you disclosed all of your relevant medical information to start with it might avoid confusion, and misdiagnosis..

I wrote about hashimoto in the first sentence of my post.

But if I avoid iodine then what if my iodine levels get too low? I don't want to become retarded.
I read that low iodine lowers the IQ.

I wrote about hashimoto in the first sentence of my post.

But if I avoid iodine then what if my iodine levels get too low? I don't want to become retarded.
I read that low iodine lowers the IQ.
I'm sorry but that seriously made me lol. I don't think it'll impact you that badly. I thought with hashimoto iodine was bad in the absence of selenium?? Maybe I'm thinking of a different thyroid condition though.

I have hashimotos AND low T and both have been treated for a while now and I still have all the symptoms of both- I don't fucking get it and I sympathize with you OP.

But one thing I was always told- ALWAYS take a t-3 t-4 thyroid med- and ALWAYS take it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, and sometimes you may even need to double dose during the day- I'm about to start the double dosage thing with my doctor- he thinks you need the medicine constantly throughout the day- something to think about.

Hi, I take 10mcg T3 and 125mcg T4.
I know many say that T4 only is bad. I don't know what to think about this. I also rather take T3, too.
But to be honest I feel no difference at all since I added T3. I am pissed. I mean NOTHING seems to work for me.
TRT doesn't make me feel better, thyroid hormones don't make me feel better, antidepressants don't make me feel better.
It's like a bad movie.

What do you get for TRT? And how are your levels now?

I don't know about selenium. My doc only told me to avoid iodine.

I have hashimotos AND low T and both have been treated for a while now and I still have all the symptoms of both- I don't fucking get it and I sympathize with you OP.

But one thing I was always told- ALWAYS take a t-3 t-4 thyroid med- and ALWAYS take it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, and sometimes you may even need to double dose during the day- I'm about to start the double dosage thing with my doctor- he thinks you need the medicine constantly throughout the day- something to think about.

The half life is 7 days, I'm unsure why your doctor would think this..?

The half life is 7 days, I'm unsure why your doctor would think this..?

The half life of t4 is 5-7 days
The half life of t3 is only 1 DAY!!!

The half life of diazepam is about 100 hours, but the theraputic effects are only felt for about 7 or 8- certainly nowhere near 100!!! It just means that the metabolites of the drugs take that long to pass through your system. - so maybe it has to be at a certain serum level and dosing once a day just doesn't make it as effective- ?

That is a very good question, and I will let you know next time I talk to him which will be soon- I'll make a new thread talking about why it's a good idea to take thyroid medicine twice a day. This is an excellent doctor by the way- he's cutting edge in hormones and listed as such all around the web as the "doctor's" doctor.

Last edited: