• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Question about nodding?

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
So I've known many people to use the word 'nod' after taking drugs. Well I'm confused as to what it means as people keep telling me different things...

Here are some of the things people have told me what it means:

1. It means you've overdosed

2. It means you stopped breathing and need Narcan.

3. It means you slip in and out of consciousness (which I think they mean stop and start breathing, I'm not sure)

4. It means you go into a very deep sleep and it's harder to arouse you.

5. You're not asleep and you ARE breathing but you're completely unresponsive.

So which one is it? Or does everybody have a different opinion on what it means?

We'll break it down, but as the term is slang and a colloquialism in various regions, the exact meaning might be elusive. To nod, by definition is to move your head in a communicative manner, generally up and down. Basically when someone nods, its because they cross the line where they're no longer in control of their consciousness enough to maintain contraction of the muscles of the neck and shoulders. This will cause the user's head to fall forward.

But anyway, nod is not generally a term used in relation to overdose. It's generally considered to be a symptom of a moderate to moderately-strong dose. "The Nod" is usually typified by the fact that the user continually wakes and returns to relative unconsciousness in rapid succession. Opioids are pretty well known to cause an interesting state of consciousness where, as I've said, you shift rapidly between waking and sleeping.

It's not uncommon to be having a conversation with someone who is very intoxicated, they nod out mid-sentence for ~5minutes, only to wake up and reenter the conversation from that same point as if they had never stopped. This often leads to arguments, as the user believes that he or she is actually awake and responding to questions, when really there's several minutes of unconsciousness intermittently.

In short, nodding out is typically a "normal" phase of Opioid intoxication. If they are able to move their head up and down in succession, it means they are probably well enough to breath on their own. If the head goes down and down and doesn't come back up, that's a bad sign.

I fucking love to nod.. lol. Its my damn username! The nod, well explained by keif' is the shit! When you do opiates, or opiate and benzos, or opiates and (insert any given CNS depressant here)... I used to do it much more often before jumping on subs, which sometimes, do actually make me nod! Believe it or not, subutex when done IV like I do(which is not a smart way to do it, but very efficient way!) in conjunction with benzodiazepines(which I also take daily, I am scripted kpins) plus some weed, good weed! or hash/hash oil, or all of them combined with subutex and benzos will EASILY have me nodding out, for a long ass time.. That's just the way those 3 react with me.. Other than that, I am totally 100% dependent on benzos now, and truly believe I need them to be a happy, fairly normal, and level headed person.. so whenever I do take vacations from my bupe and do full agonist opioids/opiates, I will be nodding too, way more than with sub, if I wait long enough to take the full agonists, I will nod more and more depending on which ones they are, like for instance, heroin or opana.. those are some opiates that send me into a nod, especially in conjunction with klonopins that I take..(not recommended in any way to combine opiates and benzos, I play with fire every time I do so and I know this.. never get in that habit, you can easily nod too hard and OD.) The nod to me, is a peaceful place you go to, for a while, where you are basically sleeping awake, you are still here, but feel gone and total "nothingness" but, nothingness in the best way possible! Fuck, again Ill say, my username says it all on here, I LOVE TO NOD!:|