• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery Q to all recovering meth users: did your concentration/attention skills ever return?

mcflurry

Bluelighter
Hi!

Im currently in my third week off meth ( i i.v.-ed meth in a chemsex pattern for about 5-6 years ) and im really really struggling with getting everyday work done. i cant even fill out a fucking form for social services, let alone help my parents with chores. its starting to really get to me. im feeling a lot of guilt bc a lot of people are having my back right now and i seem to be unable to repay them in a reasonable way ...

i was thinking of getting my hands on methylphenidate, but then again im broke and im not sure if replacing x drug with y drug really is the way to go ...

is that problem gonna be temporary? how are you people handling this issue?

thanks for reading xx

I think the general consensus is that meth takes 12 months of sobriety most of the time for your brain to recover. It very well might be that long, depending on specific factors of your use. But that long with meth is quite some time. Give yourself some space to recover, I guess. Lots of good activities like exercise and therapy. You just need to build up your natural ability, which for some time you didn't need as much, so you're brain isn't used to doing it on its own.

Could be that you have ADHD or a mental illness that you were self-medicating for, but it doesn't sound like it to me. I would definitely consult with a psychiatrist in complete honesty, and if you need medication, they can usually help.

I wouldn't take any controlled substances at this point unless you're 100% positive that you can use them as directed. Otherwise, they will just make things worse.

I think the general consensus is that meth takes 12 months of sobriety most of the time for your brain to recover. It very well might be that long, depending on specific factors of your use. But that long with meth is quite some time. Give yourself some space to recover, I guess. Lots of good activities like exercise and therapy. You just need to build up your natural ability, which for some time you didn't need as much, so you're brain isn't used to doing it on its own.

Could be that you have ADHD or a mental illness that you were self-medicating for, but it doesn't sound like it to me. I would definitely consult with a psychiatrist in complete honesty, and if you need medication, they can usually help.

I wouldn't take any controlled substances at this point unless you're 100% positive that you can use them as directed. Otherwise, they will just make things worse.
great advice, thank u 🙏🏼

great advice, thank u 🙏🏼
Yes, it is very good advice.

Also, get plenty of rest and eat healthy food as much as possible. You might want to take vitamin supplements, especially B-complex. That will help your brain and nervous system heal. If you take vitamins, always take them with food.