View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelic Coma

jtcucla

Bluelighter
Is it possible to go into a coma after a psychadelic OD (I took untested lsd so it might not have been lsd)? If u were in that coma is it possible to wake up thinking only one night passed and have aged years? Would I still see myself the same age as I was the night before supposed coma?

In my experience, having witnessed plenty of people losing their minds on psychedelics through the years, people fall in 2 categories. The first one is the one you are describing where they fall into an unresponsive catatonic state. I have seen people slumped over in chairs or "looking like they died" from taking too strong of a dose. These ones are easy to care for because although it may "look bad" it isnt bad if they arent sweating profusely or showing signs of stress. One guy came out of it needed reassurance he wasnt dead for a while he kept going "i saw myself die, are you sure this is the same place" So yes it is possible to live 1000 lives and die 1000 deaths when you are in "ego death" that is part of the uniqueness of the experience. The experiences you have shape you not age you so you may view yourself as "less innocent" but as aged is highly unlikely (unless you mean like wisdom).

The other class of people are ones that becomes almost paranoid psychotic. I have chased people who are yelling "they are trying to kill me" and referring to others as demons. I have physically restrained my cousin who was very combative and completely out of his mind. Even he was normal after experiencing a level of hell he couldnt fully understand.

All will be good in time just try to accept what happened and understand the experience is part of you and you are not part of the experience. It only showed you visions that already existed inside you and that you fabricated on your own. All experiences can be learning ones and not road blocks it just takes a level of acceptance and understanding that comes with time.

Actual coma's involve such a low level of consciousness that often a lot of time passes without much going on experientially, even dreaming may be limited or memorizing dream-like states does not happen very optimally.

I've been through what szuko describes multiple times: the death-rebirth cycle experience. While experience can be compressed temporally, I think it's misleading to compare the experience to actual countless lives being lived but it is rather the feeling of dying and being reborn: high level of consciousness slipping in and out of coherence (with the slipping out often being into a white-out rather than a black-out which is in many ways the opposite), rather than dropping off at the low level.

I recommend this big think talk, among other things about the thalamus: http://bigthink.com/videos/andrew-newberg-neural-enlightenment-101

Mystical states or such that was described do tend a person more experienced since the experiences are very intense and leave a strong impression, they can also shift a person's views the more compelling they are. Relativity can be forced on a person's paradigm.

I think the point is that a coma is not a risk of psychedelic tripping, but time dilation or mystical states can make sure that an experience lasting only hours in real-time can have the impact of something typically much grander - it that sense it can change a person quickly or acutely, and compared to real-time it is at a high rate and can be called catalyzed.

The wisdom comes from the inevitable confrontations in life that are universal. Even though they are subjective and experiential they are so universal that it can be shared and utilized and usually affects your world view, but it opens you up to truths which can definitely ruin ignorance of youth.

Wisdom is not even yet realization let alone actualization, so often people can intuitively develop themselves but not necessarily live or act completely according to their new-found insight. In my experience this can be very frustrating and can be like premature development. The more you get ahead of yourself out of sync with your life, the more questions may be raised and the more difficult it could be. I think a person going through enough of such experience soon enough could pretty much go through a mid-life crisis at a young age.
It's not good or bad, but it's premature if you are not middle aged.

To answer your question directly: I have never heard of people going into a coma from psychedelic OD. Different things happen from that, there is a physical component for those psychedelics that have a narrower therapeutic index, and blood flow in limbs can become a problem for some (as an example). Mentally szuko covered a lot: a person can flip out behaviorally or have a very heavy experience with large impact mentally. Very altered states of consciousness can have very atypical effects on people, I'd say it can change them but unpredictibly.

Last edited: