• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Propanolol and amphetamines

Pill2Chill

Bluelight Crew
A friend of mine is on propanolol XR. These have a HL of 10hrs (the XR form does). I've read about all kinds of bad reactions between the two substances.. So I was wondering how long after taking one he should wait before taking amphetamines. It's been 14hours as of now.

Thanks in advance,
-PTC %)

Ooo, I didn't know that, but is good to know as propanolol is my go-to for physical anxiety symptoms.
I can tell from experience I've taken 20-40mg within 6-8 hours of 20-40mg Adderall use and not had any negative effects besides maybe a headache (might have been unrelated).

You know, I'd just call up and talk to a pharmacist on this one. I know of the potential complication, I had heard of it when I was on propanalol xr, but I was never into phet. Thing is, I think the dosage levels of inderal are so vast, from like 10 up to thousands of mg, that who knows what level you have to be at to worry about it? The complication involves heart rhythms tho, so it always worried me. Yeah, I'd just ring em up, say I'm on both, and ask if it was indeed safe.

Propranolol is contraindicated with (meth)amphets: possibly resulting in (severe) vasoconstriction, HTN (hypertension) and/or arrhythmias!! Do not combine these drugs especially if there is a history of cardiovascular disease/condition!

Honestly? Don't tempt fate and take this sort of risk. Your friend have been scripted Propranolol for a reason!

Extended release can reside within the body up to 11hours after dosing (and even after this there will still be a decent concentration within the blood stream [it's not like hitting the 11th hour and suddenly it all disappears :)]).

....Thing is, I think the dosage levels of inderal are so vast, from like 10 up to thousands of mg, that who knows what level you have to be at to worry about it? The complication involves heart rhythms tho, so it always worried me.....

That was a bit of a guess, ey? ;) I have never heard of a pt being dosed in the gram ranges (correct me if I'm wrong though? :) )

I'm pretty sure you've nailed it there Morphling; I guess it's the risk the PillToChill's friend may have to take. PillToChill it seems you've been around for a while, so load ya mate up with all the info and him end up making an informed choice.

Peace! Play safe!

Last edited:
....I can tell from experience I've taken 20-40mg within 6-8 hours of 20-40mg Adderall use and not had any negative effects besides maybe a headache (might have been unrelated).

Or the headache may have been related (an anecdoteal sample size of 1 doesn't distill much confidence ;) lol)

The problem with those kinds of statements is that, although (I'm very sure) posted with all good intentions, one person's one experience may encourage the OP to take the advice on without any further thought*.

I'm not saying I don't believe you Felonious! :) I mention this because I've seen this happen on BL, in my professional and private life ..... extreme bio-variability (genetic polymorphisms if you want to get technical :) ) amoungst the popultation that although one experience mightn't have resulted in any problems, this is not to say the OP won't experience the same as you, nothing or even worse. In fact if you were to find yourself in the same situtation you may find different result.

I say this as (I guess unless the thread itself is casual) I personally try to post replies with either links to reliable sources (peer-reviewed journals, Government sites, sites with a reputation, etc.) or my own uploaded PDFs or if I feel the explaination is "basic" - that is to say the explaination is undisputed/known in the medication/pharmacological field than I don't usually reference.

* Not to say that you will of course PillToChill, just covering bases. I'm particually trying hard not to come across condisending so I apologise if this does!!

Ahh, yeah. It's been a minute since I'd been on propanalol. Goodish thing I mentioned calling the pharmacy, isn't it. Or I'd be screwed. LOL <3

these are meant to be active for 24 hours which makes sense given their half-life is 12~ hours. if i was your friend, and not taking the inderal for cardiac issues, i would would 36 hours before i do any amphetamines. the interaction between both drugs is nasty as it upsets the alpha/beta balance.

Ok guys thanks a bunch.
Fyi, my friend has not mixed the two, nor will he ever mix them.

Thank you, I'm happy for the information, I now know not to take Inderal for that Adderall-related jitteriness (and I'm glad it hasn't killed me yet, haha).

I've had the misfortune of taking propranolol while having taken adderall a few hours prior. I was working at the time and my friend told me it would calm my nerves so i tried it out. The combination made me feel sort of scared and aggressive, and my heart rate was much higher than normal. 0/10 one of the worst combinations i've tried

I very recently took 10mg adderall like two weeks ago. I'm on 80mg propranalol daily for hypertension. I had no clue about this intereaction, and I felt like complete shit for ~2-3 hours. It sucked. I'm glad I haven't bothered to try any of the local meth (and there is a lot of it). Or would meth not cause this interaction?

Just wanted to post here, sorry for digging up an old thread, but there isn't much info on the reaction of propronalol + amphetamine. I personally take a low dose ~20 mg ER propronalol to help ease off d-amp.

Never have I had any problems, it actually helps with my cardio side effects. BP+HR Drop shortly after taking it, but that may be bc of timing for when amp crash begins.

Just posting for the benefit of understanding exactly what the fear is here. I am not at all reccomending anyone else take these drugs in combination unless scribed by ur phys.

This am I took 40mg of propanolol and meth. I could not help but sleep. I took another dose of meth to wake up. Still sleep. I thought it would just lower my hr and bp. Feel fine now. 6 hrs later. Anyone have a recomendation of what scriot to take for high bp?

Fuck i was taking propanalol 160 time release and doing coke for months 8(