Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Prolonged LSD visuals

soccom

Greenlighter
Hi,

So I'm having some post LSD use issues that I'm really hoping someone can better explain to me. I wouldn't consider myself an expert but I would say that I am decently experienced with LSD, having taken it four separate times. I've always been cautious of the environment I'm in and my state of mind before going into the trip and have never done more than two tabs at a time (however I do smoke MJ on top of taking the tabs in order to enhance my trip). My last trip was a little over a month ago and everything appeared to be fine. A week after the trip, some friends and I decided to hot box my car. Afterwards, on my way home I took a wrong turn and got lost. It was late at night, I was high and had bud on me, and began to have a serious panic attack behind the wheel. Finally, I figured out where I was and as I began to calm down, I had an intense acid flashback giving off visuals and having out of bodies while behind the wheel, all I wanted to do was stay focus and get home safely. The next day, I decided to smoke again with my friends and, once again, I had another flashback (yet this one was not as intense). After that night I decided to stop smoking and give my mind a break and I haven't smoked since. The problem is now, every night I go to sleep I've been struggling with paranoia. I get slight visuals (some nights more vivid then others)when it's pitched black dark and sometimes I even hear voices, either speaking to me or saying something I can't make out. It's been about a month since I've smoked MJ and yet this seems to be a trend every night (with the exceptions of when I drink alcohol). I'm on no antidepressants or any medication that could be the cause behind this. I'm worried this might be mild signs of HPPD or substance induced psychosis. I function normally throughout the day but once I end up alone at night, all of this starts happening. A friend of mine is trying to take LSD again with me but I'm quite sure it's not a good idea as I feel like it could worsen these symptoms. If anyone has undergone this before or has any words of advice it would be greatly appreciated and of much comfort because right now I don't know what to think. Thanks.

yeah, don't take acid again, like ever really. I've had a thing where I would see a little cartoon clown head when I woke up in the middle of the night and it was dark. That went on for a few months then eventually wore off. I never heard voices though. That part of your story concerns me. I would definitely avoid all psychs and Cannabis too until this thing resolves itself. It'll probably wear off over time but if it doesn't or it gets worse you definitely should talk to a doctor and get some tranquilizers or something, though those can cause problems too. I hope it works out for you. Sounds very stressful.

It is definitely a reaction to smoking marijuana which seems to be common among people with previous LSD use.

Benzodiazepine, which is prescribed for anxiety, seems to counteract this effect.

Taking a (year) long break from smoking will probably help speed up your recovery.

Was the panic attack a new experience?

the cannabis does it, but so does just being anxious, which ramps you up into an emotional state.
emotional states increase mental resonance (signal pulse train duration)
so does psychedelic (and so does marijuana which is actually a kind of psychedelic)
so
expect easy access to lsd like visuals when high on anything, or emotional, or while falling asleep or while emerging from sleep, which are all normal life situations that have increased mental resonance.
vision is a brain event more so than an eye event when you come down to it.

don't be so sure that you never had visuals without being on acid before, but maybe you did not have anxiety about it, so now you have a new way to get visuals, just plain anxiety.

Pupnik, I like you. You seem to put some of these extremely distressing issues some people have post psychedelic use into a much more digestible and easy to swallow perspective. Hell, Ive needed someone to tell me what you just said after some post LSD psychosis/hppd. Im MORE inclined than EVER to believe HPPD is psychological. People in general need to realize psychedelics put the mind into a higher state of plasticity. I believe this results in whatever you experience while tripping as impacting your perception semi-permanently.

A good example is the new study on psilocin and how it induces mystical states. Those who experience these states are left with roughly a year long afterglow in which these individuals are more "open" and accepting, happier and kinder. Well ever notice that a bad trip seems to have roughly a similar length of impact on the psyche? The acute impact lasts months to years, just as they found psilocins duration with positive effects. Now I also believe there is a residual effect ....or non acute impact that stays with us.. we just cant completely forget something like that and our memory is very much linked to our perception in the moment.

OP in a nutshell, you will most likely be fine. Obviously watch for signs of worsening symptoms and get treatment if they occur. If you end up with severe depression please get help and stick it out as it will always get better. I went through some horrific post psychedelic existential crisis that left me feeling very alone in the universe. This condition lasted for years but I did get better.

This is LSD and not psilocybin. Unless you have the exact same thing happening from psilocybin I would not assume...

Thank you for the responses! And yes, the panic attack was a new experience. It's difficult to explain but in the heat of my panic attack it was like I had two different personalities emerging from me at once (definitely an acid like mindset), one being my normal calm self trying to figure out where I was and resolve the problem. The other personality was much more childish, panicked and scared, as if I was 5 years old again and lost my parents in the supermarket.
As for the voices, I don't hear them very often but when I do it's always a woman's voice (unidentified woman or my younger sister). Going back to what pupnik said, it was only when I was drifting off to sleep or waking up.
Now my friends and I are heading to the beach soon where they plan on tripping. I feel like it would be a magnificent experience. The logical side of me knows that after all of this, it would be stupid for me to take a tab, smoke etc. But as stupid as it sounds, I can't help but wonder if a good trip on the beach would actually be beneficial? I know consuming this chemical in the first place is always a gamble of having a bad trip but I still can't help but wonder.

drop acid yes
smoke cannabis no
let the lsd action happen it is smooth - radically intense but smooth, you will be able to trust it and yourself
that is closest to the pure mental state shift - you can work with that and have no problem with anxiety

cannabis however will introduce jerky shifts in your altered consciousness, and that will easily make you anxious.
so don't mix.

Funny thing is I agree^^^ cannabis has ironically been the anxiogenic thing Ive ever introduced into my life. Also, you saying that the voices are before sleep or upon waking indicates that they are likely hypnagogic hallucinations, which are normal for anyone to have to some degree. If you start believing they are real then you may be in some trouble...im not talking about questioning whether or not you actually heard a voice....thast like saying youre losing it, if you hear a rustling in the bushes and check to make sure that theres nothing there....nothing crazy about that... .but if actually start believing that you are receiving information from the voices you might need a reality check....sound slike you are having residual pseudo-hallucinations.

Although I would personally wait 6 months to let my mind get grounded again...that's just me and Im a lot more into preventative measures these days

There are some interesting theories on hearing voices. My personal view is they are parts of your brain that were serving some other function and your mind has chosen to interpret them as voices but you are subconsciously in control of what they say. Interpret them as emotions, delve into repressed memories, and express them appropriately.

They are a symptom of psychosis. LSD is known to trigger a psychotic episode.

I tried to post but a demon stopped me.

A green spade seems source the oracle.

I wouldn't touch weed or other psychedelics for a while to be safe, but these do sound like symptoms that can be explained by anxiety and/or depression. When I first smoked, it triggered my anxiety, which didn't get worse so much as it became more noticeable to me. Both before and after I had minor aural hallucinations at night, paranoia, irrational thinking, and sometimes intense closed eye visuals. At night in my bed I used to be able to close my eyes and see, clear as day, an enormous landscape of clockwork machines in complex motion. I've never tried salvia but I've read reports of similar visuals from smoking that. I wasn't on any drugs at the time.

All the same, keep an eye on your symptoms and if they get worse seek help immediately.

The episode followed shortly after psychedelic use, within a 2-3 week period and what was experienced in the car would not fit hypnagogic hallucinations. Those seem to be in the first or last stage of sleep, although they are definitely something people seem to get frequently with psychedelics. Being able to function during the day and having aberrations at night when you are alone. This leads me to consider latent psychosis. Of course, that is also one of the few medical conditions I know details about, so the bias here is enormous.

There are a few drugs known to trigger episodes in a latent psychotic, marijuana is one.

MJ being the cause of a lot of my anxiety makes since. Only time I can enjoy the high is when I'm home, either alone or with a close friend or two. Ironically, it seems my environment plays a more important role with marijuana then it does LSD.
Last night I noticed as I continued to get visuals my heartbeat was much faster than usual. As I concentrated on relaxing, the visuals began to fade the same time my heartbeat began to slow down. This confirms my anxiety being linked with the visuals. But the only thing I can think of that would cause my anxiety when I go to bed is the combination of being alone and in the dark. As a child I was terrified of the dark but eventually got over it(or so I thought). I'm viewing all of this as possible latent anxiety. I'll have to do more research on the topic. It's nothing I can't handle, it's just very inconvenient going to sleep seeing things in the corner of my eye, aberrations and faces staring at me lol.

My visuals themselves can't be anything other than residual pseudo hallucinations. I see the outlines of people from the corner of my eyes and faces in front of me. When I close my eyes I can get a little more intense visuals. I woke up at a couple of times, once because my whole body seemed to twitch and another time because of an auditory hallucination of cards shuffling really loudly. I know all of this is in my head, I'm just trying to interpret all of this as part of my subconscious. People have told me I trip harder than most people and someone mentioned that the people or "things" I see while tripping maybe actual ghosts. I gave that theory a brief thought when these residual hallucinations began to occur but quickly ended that theory knowing full where that thoughts like those would put me on the fast track to insanity.

Yeah dude...sounds like the same residual shit that Ive experienced after using LSD in excess....Just like anything though, excessive can be unhealthy and cause problems so if I were you, Id let my mind adapt to what Ive already thrown at it...