(engineer attention) Problem deleting attachments from archived/deleted threads

Myshkin

Ex-Bluelighter
Had this from a Bluelighter just now. I'm a chancer at the best of times rather than a real mod, but it just so happens that I've got 2C-B and 2C-E in me right now so I'm more useless than ever.

So I promised I'd take it here. Can anybody shed any light? If it's really, really simple can I get an infraction? ;)

reptilian said:
Hey 'elo!

Just in need of a little forum help please SG. In my profile under settings>misc>attatchments i have a pic that i would prefer to delete now as it is using up space.;)

But,,,,,, where is the delete function? Cant modify the post its associated with as it has been archived :(

Cheers in advance dude. :)

Anybody?

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/profile.php?do=editattachments

Picture should be listed with an inline tickbox that can be selected.

Tick it and press delete (the delete button is at the bottom of the listing).

The poster should visit this thread and let us know if these instructions aren't working for them.

Not sure how the system will work for archived threads or pre-upgrade attachments.

Last edited:
Hey hello! :)

Have followed instructions but still not working for me? no box to tick * confused *

Ta

Rep.

Last edited:
OK. I've been doing some testing. Couple of issues here:

If the post is deleted, the associated attachment will no longer be public - obviously. However, you lose access to the management of the attachment in your profile settings - the image isn't even listed, never mind the tickbox. This is not desirable as the attachment is still stored against your account (and continues to contribute to your 500MB storage allowance), with no apparent way to delete the file (you will see the file when you next attach a file and it shows you your previous uploads and current storage usage).

Temporary Solution: if you're happy with simply removing the file from public view, you could simply ask Samhain to 'unapprove' (rather than delete or edit) your post from the archived thread. The image will still be associated with your profile, but nobody else will be able to see it. I think deleting or editing the post before we understand what the problem is will only confuse matters.

However, if you want to delete the attachment but leave the rest of the post intact, then we have a more awkward problem.

The post being in an archived forum apparently has no effect on one's ability to manage the file from your profile settings. I've just shoved a test thread over into the EADD archive and I'm able to manage the associated attachment in my profile with no problem.

At the moment, I can't understand why the image is being listed in your profile settings without the ability to manage it via the inline tickbox. Can you post a screenshot?

It might have something to do with the upgrade and the age of the post. If so, then I would ask anybody else reading this post to click the link below and check if they see anything similar with their attachment history:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/profile.php?do=editattachments

Sorry, best I can do until somebody else chimes in.

Last edited:
i tried to see if i can delete attachments via the mod control panel, but i don't have the option to even see attachments.

i'll play around and see what i can figure out... tambo, i UA'd your post. can you do anything about deleting the attachment?

no matter what i do to the the thread i made, i can still see the attachment if i click on attachments. but that could be due to my permissions being different as an smod. if no one figures anything out by tomorrow, i will try seeing what happens if i post attachments from a regular account.

reptilian, can you link me to the thread that has the attachment? i can manually delete it for you if you would like. it leaves the rest of the post in tact.

Last edited:
For the purposes of clarity... in my profile, I now have two files that I cannot manage. The image below shows what I can see via my profile settings (top of picture) and what I can see in the upload manager (bottom of picture) when I upload another file for attaching.

You'll notice in the profile settings there are two files listed, but four files listed in the upload manager. File 1 is from a self-deleted test post. File 4... was probably something from the Smod forum??? Neither are accessible for deletion in the profile settings.

attachments.png

This also raises the question of what happens when a forum is pruned. If I make a post with an attachment that is later pruned (or hard deleted), do I also lose the ability to manage that attachment in the same way that I lose the ability to manage attachments on soft-deleted posts?

Potentially, there's a lot of data piling up with no end-user ability to manage it.

EDIT: We're not the only ones to notice this... whoops.

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/382393-Datamanager-attachment-filedata
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/384427-Can-t-delete-attachments

Last edited:
i'll play around and see what i can figure out... tambo, i UA'd your post. can you do anything about deleting the attachment?
Uhhh... no, now I can only see 1 image in my profile settings after you edited (not unappropved), rather than the two that were there when I took the screenshot.

Last edited:
Reptilian,

Check your PMs. I've sent you instructions on how to solve your immediate problem via Samhain.

We'll continue to look into some of the weirdness. Thanks for raising this. I can feel a can of worms being slowly opened. :D

OK, I've had a more indepth look at this. I'm suffering from the same problem, i.e. according to my profile I have 8 attachments, but on the db I have 14.

Even in the admin control panel, I can only see 8. Looks like those vbulletin threads you linked above, tambo, are describing the problem accurately. Until this problem is fixed it appears our only (short term) solution is for the engineer to FTP in and delete them manually.

Just to give you some perspective - we only have 232MB worth of attachments on the entire db. But then again, that probably doesn't include these phantom ones. Hmmm...

File under: low priority (for now)