• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pregabalin seizure risk in combinations

utaninja

Greenlighter
Hi there,

I'm researching the drug interaction of Pregabalin and various psychedelics.

From my understanding, certain psychedelics such as DOM and 25B-NBOMe have risk of seizures. In addition to this, from my understanding, Pregabalin can increase the risk or cause seizures at higher dosages.

At higher dosages of Pregabalin, does it increase the risk of seizures when in combination with another drug that also has seizure risks (such as DOM)

This is not referring to medical dosages of Pregabalin/lower dosages of Pregabalin.
-
At lower dosages, it seems to reduce the risk, but at higher dosages, it seems to cause seizures/increase risk. (from my understanding)
This study discusses this- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7688538/
These are some reports I've found about it-

https://bluelight.org/xf/threads/seizures-from-pregabalin-lyrica.896412/
And also this case study- https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/24734306.2018.1458465#:~:text=Toxicity may occur after overdose,seizure with confirmatory serum concentrations

Last edited:
I would absolutely be more worried about Vasoconstriction from, the DOM and 25B-NBOMe, especially the 25B.

Reported incidents of seizure in non-fatal, 25B intoxications that were hospitalized and reported was approximately 7%.

Why would you even take pregabalin with a psychedelic?

Furthermore, seizures only occurred in 2% of the identified pregabalin overdoses, but there was no dose amount associated with seizures.

I wouldn't say that seizure is a common outcome from pregabalin overdose. In fact, the authors of the paper you linked Called seizure an uncommon symptom of overdose.

I found reference to an intentional pre-gablin overdose of 3,825 mg that resulted in What is called a paradoxical seizure.

Pregabalin is an anti-convulsant. It's actually prescribed to stop partial epileptic seizures.

Any seizure activity induced by pregabalin is paradoxical meaning in reverse of what is expected.

Therefore, nobody can answer whether a ridiculously high dose of pregabalin would potentiate the seizure potential of a full serotonin agonist psychedelic.

I have had a couple of seizures due too pregablin in high doses (750mg+) only ever had the seizure in combination with other drugs. High doses alone never caused any issues and was something I'd done many times. I'm a little blurry on all the details now as it's going back ten years or more..

What I can tell you is the two seizures the only drug in common was pregablin. The first one was at a bush doof who knows what substances I put into my body that day last memory was a line of ketamine and coming to on the d floor. Second one was in the privacy of my bedroom had been up for days smoking meth munching Lyrica and playing Skyrim.

That's about the best memory I can muster at the moment I hope it's helpful.

I assume the only other common theme I can see is sleep deprivation and poor diet for a couple of days.

Feel free to message If you want more info.

The older I get, the more I realize that for me at least it's almost impossible to combine things and get consistent results. Your biochemistry is vastly different day to day for more reasons than I want to bore you with.

Less is always more, and don't combine more than 2 things (and booze and weed both count as one each) or you have very little way to know what to expect. I'm not talking about the dangers, I am saying it makes it difficult if not impossible to know what to expect regardless of the reason you are taking stuff.

I have unique CYP450 metabolic pathway genetic variations. There are 4 basic CYP450 metabolic pathways. On 1 I am an "ultrarapid" metabolizer which means that things are turned into their metabolites before they even have a chance to do much, and on another one I am a non-metabolizer, which means it's excreted without much effect. These genetic tests obviously only need to be done once, and can be ordered by any doctor.

It changed my life to have this info- I immediately got off opiates as fast as humanly possible which I don't think I would have ever got around to doing otherwise.

This all affects even the substances that do work for me (everything I used was scripted), to the point that one day 10mg of diazepam will completely help anxiety & even make me sleepy, and other days 100mg did absolutely nothing.

Of everything I have ever used, pregabalin and gabapentin are the absolute most unpredictable. For me, the combination of ketamine in the same day as either of them makes me feel terrible, I would rather be in terrible pain and deal with the intractable sleep deprivation /insomnia I suffer with. I don't take any sort of stimulant.

Keep it as simple as possible,and don't combine more than 2 things even in the same few days if you want to have the best chance of knowing how stuff affects you.

I had a seizure from a very high dosage of pregabalin alone, I think it was at least 1.6 if not 1.9 grams. I didn't get any more effects from 900mg so I did this stupidly high one. I should have listened to the warning signs, specially the twitching of my hands at 900+ milligrams. My understanding is that high dosed pregabalin inhibits the glutamate reuptake transporter leading to more glutamate and thus more excitation and stimulation but also seizures. For the first 2 days after this seizure I couldn't walk straight and was very confused, thought I had fried my brain but I eventually recovered.

I do not condone this, but in the past, I have had a few high-dose pregabalin experiences, with the highest dose being 2.6 grams throughout 24 hours. In that instance, I was completely fine with no seizure-related issues (however, the mental effects were profoundly intense). I have never had a seizure in my entire life, but in recent months, high dose pregabalin has caused me to have minor muscle twitches, particularly in the arms and legs. I try to keep my doses below a gram now, with my typical dose ranging around 450-750mg.

The only psychedelic I have had is psilocybin mushrooms. I have been prescribed pregabalin, so I typically take it early in the day, and I often trip in the evenings, so I'm usually peaking on pregabalin when I dose my shrooms. I have not noticed any adverse effects, such as seizures, with this combination. However, this does not mean the combination is necessarily safe; I am probably an outlier, and my tolerance to pregabalin probably plays a role in my experience. I just thought I'd share my experience because, personally, it has been swell, but I would always proceed with caution when taking medications that affect the seizure threshold with psychedelics.