• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

possible serotonin syndrome; anything OTC that may help?

4EVIlReflection

Greenlighter
I'm fairly certain I'm experiencing a mild case of serotonin syndrome. Is there anything I can take supplement-wise, or over-the-counter, that could help reverse the influx of serotonin in my brain. I already took a little Xanax and could always take a bit more of necessary. As for supplements, I took some BCAAs as I read they could decrease serotonin.

I was thinking maybe taking some tyrosine, but I read a study that an amino acid blend minus tryptophan, phenylalanine, and tyrosine could help lower serotonin. So would taking tyrosine make my current situation worse?

Any input would be greatly, greatly, appreciated. I hope the situation does not digress further.

If you think you have serotonin syndrome, call for help and go to a hospital. Why do you think this just wondering?

If you think you have serotonin syndrome, call for help and go to a hospital. Why do you think this just wondering?
I usually try to avoid trips to the hospital, unless you think that what I'm dealing with is truly life threatening.

As for why I think I may be experiencing serotonin syndrome: I took some propylhexedrine tonight and as per usual I like to sip alcohol during the experience. (Although not proud of the fact, I feel like at this point in my life I'm fairly experienced with benzedrez). Unfortunately (and carelessly), earlier today (due to waking up with a cough and throat congestion) I took some robitussin. Just a therapeutic dose; I think the total dxm I consumed was 45mg.

I guess in hindsight it was foolish not to research any potential interactions, I just didn't think much of it since it was only a cap full.

In addition, I have a regiment of supplements that I take pre and intra the propylhexedrine (primarily for harm reduction) which also have potential to raise serotonin. If wondering, they are: a little idebenone (with last meal), then pre or intra: green tea extract, magnesium citrate, arginine-akg, (sometimes along with citrulline malate), a workout/pump supplement with a nitrate - usually arginine nitrate, but the last couple times I took one with sodium nitrate and betaine nitrate, Na-r-ala (alpha flip pick acid), calcium, and a b-complex and a probiotic. At the tail end I'd usually have a little Xanax and tianeptine for the comedown.

Unfortunately today I feel like they may have done more harm than good as a lot of them increase serotonin in the brain.

I really don't want to go to the hospital unless absolutely necessary. From what I've read, I don't think my symptoms are on the serious end of the spectrum. My symptoms are a headache, dizziness (or maybe more so lightheadedness), minor nausea, there was a great deal of aggravation I felt at myself after researching my symptoms and the dangerous dxm interaction (there was this brief period where I couldnt get over that I f**ked up), my skin feels a bit a warm side, and when I tried to lie down to do back stretches I realized my back was way to stiff to be able to do to any (the opposite of how they usually feel on prop).

The xanax helped ease the aggravation and anxiety, and also helped bring down my heart rate which was crazy high earlier.

I read on one page that bacopa m. and scizandra berry could lower serotonin in the brain (but it wasn't on a page concerning serotonin syndrome). I seem to finding conflicting reports on tyrosine.

Again, anyone with any information, it would be greatly appreciated and, to whoever read all this, I thank you sincerely.

No one here can judge your well-being aside from you, but you probably aren't experiencing medically relevant serotonin syndrome (unless you took an unusually large dose of propylhexedrine as your DXM dose is low).
Do you have a fever? What is your blood pressure? Pulse?

That said who knows. All kinds of weird things happen.

There are no antiserotonergic drugs available otc. If you aren't feverish or hypertensive then benzos and time is all you probably need. In the absence of fever and hypertension thats all an ER would give you anyhow (as opposed to a serotonin antagonist).

No one here can judge your well-being aside from you, but you probably aren't experiencing medically relevant serotonin syndrome (unless you took an unusually large dose of propylhexedrine as your DXM dose is low).
Do you have a fever? What is your blood pressure? Pulse?

That said who knows. All kinds of weird things happen.

There are no antiserotonergic drugs available otc. If you aren't feverish or hypertensive then benzos and time is all you probably need. In the absence of fever and hypertension thats all an ER would give you anyhow (as opposed to a serotonin antagonist).
Thank you for the reply. Earlier my blood pressure was high (151/91) and my heart rate was worrisome, 138 . The Xanax helped bring it down some; (137/90, 116). Probably still need to try and bring that heart rate down though.

As for the dosage (of the propylhexedrine) - I dont know if it is unusually high, but I have built up a bit of a tolerance over the years, so somewhere around a gram (not as a single dose though.)

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. Earlier my blood pressure was high (151/91) and my heart rate was worrisome (138). The Xanax helped bring it down some; (137/90, 116). Probably still need to try and bring that heart rate down though.

As for the dosage I dont know if it is unusually high, but I have built up a bit of a tolerance over the years, so somewhere around a gram (not as a single dose though.)
My gut says you're not really at much risk from what you've described being now except I agree the heart rate is high. I have an average bpm around 120 for the past 8-10 months or so, even sober now, from doing damage using meth day in day out, and I'm still here though. Chances are you're fine, just be extra mindful how you're feeling these next several hours or so. Really be aware of these drug interactions too... As soon as I read you took the DXM I was saying "fuck", worried about that man.

We had a member make a post like his once maybe a few years ago who took effexor and dxm.. after taking the drugs he asked this.

He is dead.

Dude I know what serotonin syndrom feels like. I suffered it before and it was a nightmare that lasted almost 3.5 months. If you feel really awful you don't have to go to a hospital. Just find a therapist or a mental health clinic or drug rehab place. I was prescribed Paroxetine and Busipirone. Both helped me get better and I am doing great now.

Feel better!