• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Possible harm reduction technique?

slopoke

Bluelighter
Carotid sinus massage

It appears that this technique lowers blood pressure creating hypotension and reduces the heart rate (bradycardia) in normal healthy individuals.

I read about this and thought it could be useful for treating (in emergencies) tachycardia (fast heart rate) and high blood pressure in people who use stimulants like cocaine or suffer freakouts/panic attacks. Possibly even in hypertensive crisis from mixing an MAOI and tryamine/phens/*insert contraindiction here*.

Obviously i'm not going to say this is a good method i was just putting this up here for a discussion. If it could be useful obviously it shouldn't be used recklessly as there are risks involved (see bottom links).

I am not saying anyone should try this

Everything2.com page (this isn't exactly good information so i'll have to check at uni in a proper textbook):
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1354925

Random health encyclopedia page with info:
http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/carotid_sinus_massage.jsp

Carotid sinus wiki (there's a good picture of the location of the sinus right smack dab in the middle): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotid_sinus_massage

carotid sinus hypersensitivity

worst case scenario

I'm a (general) biology student, not a medical one; therefore i could be wrong on this. My physiology/pharmacology knowledge isn't extensive. I could have a look in the library in uni tomorrow for more information (if my gbl'd and stoned brain remembers).

Please discuss :)

not even one fucking reply??

Well, i went and spoke to my Physiology lecturer about this. Picture the scene... doing a practical about something competely unrelated to this (related to beetles)...

"So... Dr K, i've been reading about this thing called a carotid sinus massage and how it causes bradycardia and hypotension..."
"yes, i'm aware of this..."
"Well i was just wondering if... theoretically speaking of course... this could be used to help someone who had used too many stimulants or something to that effect?"
"Well... THEORETICALLY speaking i'm sure its possible, but it has been known to cause fainting in sussecptible individuals, so they would THEORETICALLY need to be careful"
"Ahh, thanks"
*back to experiment*

Fuck knows what my lecturers think of me, i do ask them some random questions though!

Sounds to me like this could come in handy for some of us. I just thught i'd put it up here anyway.

Thats what i was hoping. Especially that horrid feeling coming down off coke when your heart is thumping. I'm going to try and find out more information, i'll post it up here if i find some.

slopoke said:
Thats what i was hoping. Especially that horrid feeling coming down off coke when your heart is thumping. I'm going to try and find out more information, i'll post it up here if i find some.

i always use BETA BLOCKERS when comming off coke, speed, or MDMA

it makes the come down MUCH EASIER and sleeping much longer and deeper.

Atenolol is the best if i have had a small dose of coke, or speed, or MDMA

but if i have large doses, then i take 1 Atenolol, 1 Labetalol and 2 Propranolol.

You can buy Beta blockers over the internet, although i got the Atenolol from my doctor saying it calms me down while playing in my band infront of large audiences !!! (never played in my life...)

LOL, yeah i did the same with my mum for propranolol. I get really nervous in front of crowds...

I did take one before a presentation and it seemed to do feck all though.
Still got some, i'm sure they'll come in handy some day....

I've tried this technique on my own during tachycardia induced by severe anxiety, methamphetamine, and cannabis, but it did little to help. Granted, I was also suffering from a potassium deficiency which put a strain on my heart as well. But, in other cases, I don't see it having much of a real effect other than placebo, at least with me.

slopoke said:
LOL, yeah i did the same with my mum for propranolol. I get really nervous in front of crowds...

I did take one before a presentation and it seemed to do feck all though.
Still got some, i'm sure they'll come in handy some day....

Most of the Propranolol is 'munched' by your liver if you swallow it, so i usually take 2 x 40mg to get any effect.

Propranalol also blocks 5HT 1A and 5HT 1b receptors (the are auto receptors so blocking them increases the firing rate of the seratonin neurons) so it is great after MDMA of Speed if my seratonin is feeling low - 80 or 120 mg picks up my mood ALOT !

Last edited: