• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Poppy Seed Tea: be safe

MaxiTot13

Greenlighter
Poppy seed teas are getting more popular, and allegedly less potent in the US. That said, a very high level of caution is important when dealing with things like this.

I've never tried the tea, and don't think I will; I only use opioids for chronic pain, as labeled out on my script. That said, there are a lot of precautions you can take when using poppy seed tea based on research. I've collected some of those here.

I am not a doctor, nor a medical researcher, and should not be treated as such. This information is largely based on anecdotal evidence, and should not be considered absolute, and is anything but sacrosanct. Poppy seed tea (PST) can be dangerous with any precautions, can cause addiction and other adverse effects, and, when used, a user takes full responsibility for the risks. I do not advocate its use, here or anywhere.

First, you are dealing with an opiate here, rather opiates. That said you should follow the ultimate option for harm reduction: don't mix with booze. Second, you can never know the composition of the tea. It may have a lot of morphine, a lot of codeine, or a lot of thebaine. Or it could have none (more on that later). So treat it as though you are taking morphine or codeine: don't stack more morphine or codeine onto it, and avoid lethal combinations. Third, taking it with benzos is a bad idea. Taking benzos with anything you aren't sure of is a bad idea. Those are the rough basics. I know a lot of people have ignored them, but that's why there have been some deaths from PST.

Poppy seeds can contain between 2 and 252 ug of morphine per gram. Forty grams of seeds used for tea can yield up to 10 mg of morphine, or a normal therapeutic dose (oral). That will almost never be the case. You'd need unwashed seeds from plants bred for morphine production. Many seeds these days are washed and come from plants bred for thebaine content, useful for synthesis of hydrocodone, dilaudid, and other semi-synthetics. However, always assume you'll be getting 10 mg of morphine for 40 g of poppies used in PST. 400 g of poppy seeds, or 14.2 oz, could give you an overdose level of morphine. If you drink PST, easy does it. Never consume more than 400 g worth of PST without waiting for a bit; that should give you about 150 mL or, very roughly, 1/2 c of tea. (Edit: the amount of PST can vary considerably based on your preparation method. This is the safe assumption. But don't drink 400 g worth in a go anyway, since 100 mg of morphine is OD level.)

Don't let your tea steep for too long or in hot water. The part of the seed containing opiates are the outside coating, rubbed off from the latex of the pod. That's what PST brewing seeks to dissolve. As the seeds steep or are agitated, water will enter the seed and force out oils from the seed. These oils are toxic in high doses and will make you vomit and be nauseous for hours, according to numerous reports. Hot water better enters the seed, and thus better forces out oils. Ice water, though, won't dissolve the opiates. A mildly acidic solution of about room temperature water (sometimes 60F) has been suggested by users of PST. More than 30 minutes total steeping time for the tea will also cause issues, and this is the sum of all washing times (as in 10-6, 10-6-4, and 15-10-5 will net 16, 20, and 30 minutes, respectively). If you overdo it, you might get more morphine and codeine, but you'll also puke.

PST is also known to cause extremely harsh addictions. I've read that the withdrawal symptoms last for 4-10 days in clinical settings, with vomiting very common. That sounds like a normal opiate, but trust me, the one study I saw along with numerous user-reports talk about the horrible withdrawals. I'm assuming this comes from the insane variation in dosages. That would also mean you could get withdrawal just by having a few bad batches. Edit: morphine-dreams below talks about his withdrawals. They lasted him a month, with a week at the worst of it, worse than anything in his life.

Since different poppy seed producers vary wildly in their products, try a few very cautiously and then stick with one that works with you to try and minimize variation. If you use a lot of tea, mix together bags from the same producer into one big bag (for storage, not direct brewing). This minimizes the variation, but still anticipate a lot of differences between batches for safety.

Some people talk about being able to "tell" what makes a good batch. There's no basis to that at all. If you have a very bitter taste, your seeds could have a huge amount of thebaine or a lot of morphine and codeine. Both are alkaloids, both are bitter. You might also be tasting others among the purported 34 alkaloids you'll find in PST. Some say the color can tell you -- yellow to dark-yellow for good stuff, brown for bad. That also has no basis. You can't tell without testing, and I'm sure most of you can't test it. Again, assume the worst.

Finally, go very slowly. It can take up to two hours for peak effects, according to some users. Others have experienced that within half-an-hour. The safest assumption here is that it varies by batch instead of by person. So, always wait a few hours before dosing again. If you don't you could die.

This forum is about harm reduction. I hope that this post can help some people out. It's easy to hurt yourself with PST, as with any opiate, so let's try to prevent that. Know that I neither condone this activity nor judge you for it. Lot's of people are in different, tough places. I post this thread because I know a lot of people will try this, a lot of people have died from it, and it doesn't matter if I just say "don't." I acknowledge that I've not tried PST, and don't intend to, but sometimes reading, research, and an outside perspective can help.

If anyone has corrections or other precautions, let me know, I want this to be about safety.

Last edited:
As someone who has been addicted to PST, I'd like to add a few things:

WD lasted closer to a month for me. I only used for maybe 4 months. The worst of it lasted for a week, but I didn't feel right for over a month. It was also the most painful wd I've ever had, literally. I was in excruciating pain for the first few days and ended up going on hydrocodone for a week or so until it subsided. WDing from hydro was almost fun in comparison. In addition, it backed me up worse than any other opiate I've used. Nothing can hurt my asshole anymore. And during wd, I had intense and VERY sudden diarrhea for a month. PST WD is fucked up like that. Luckily I never cared for the high that much. If I used it again, it'd be for pain, because it was damn good for that. Pills are so much better recreationally though.

I'm interested in trying but it seems like a lot of work and tastes like shit. I'm way too lazy for that but it's intriguing.

I'm interested in trying but it seems like a lot of work and tastes like shit. I'm way too lazy for that but it's intriguing.

It is and it does. If you want a very similar high, try taking morphine and codeine together. That way you'll know your exact dose too. PST is a very last resort kind of thing for me. The other alkaloids just make it feel dirty imo.

I've used pst many years ago. Stopped it because in my country the seeds have to be washed by law (and more than 4mg morphine /kg isnt allowed) since 2008 or so....because a mother gave it to her child...and it died..afair.
But i wouldnt say taking pharmaceutical morphine and codeine is compareable to pst.
Because it feels different...almost like heroin...and it has a very long half life.
Significantly longer than morphine/codeine.

But yeah....I also advice against it.

I do have a friend who tried PST following a specific preparation. He had tried it before with cursory research, and was going to do it again. I couldn't stop him, so I got him this research. Anyway, he ended up following a different preparation. Apparently, if you do it right, the tea won't taste so bitter. (This isn't some SWIM crap, this is what happened.)

Based on what he's told me, there's not much washing can actually do. McCormick tea prepared the right way had as much punch as 20 mg hydrocodone, according to him. It just goes to stress that you can't actually rely on one brand being better or worse than another, and that you really, really, need to be cautious every single time you use it.

The point of me saying this isn't "you can always get high," but that it's always dangerous. If any of you do try it, take it low and slow.

I don't know much about these things -- could someone enlighten me on the specific differences between poppy pod and poppy seed tea?