View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Police Ripped Off More Stuff Than Burglars Did Last Year

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Police Ripped Off More Stuff Than Burglars Did Last Year

Phillip Smith | 11/27/15 said:
When you think about getting property stolen, you think about criminals, but maybe you should be thinking about the police. Law enforcement use of asset forfeiture laws to seize property—often without a criminal conviction or even an arrest—has gone through the roof in recent years, and now the cops are giving the criminals a run for their money, and winning.

According to a new report [3] on asset forfeiture from the Institute for Justice, police seized $4.5 billion in cash and property through civil forfeiture last year. That exceeds the $3.9 billion worth of property stolen in burglaries during the same period. The valuation of burglary proceeds is from the FBI's annual Uniform Crime Report [4].

Now, not every dollar seized by police is stolen. Some of it is seized legitimately from real criminals who should pay for the damage their crimes cause. But in too many cases, property is seized from people who have not been convicted of anything.

Take Charles Clarke [5]. Clarke, a 24-year-old college student, was relieved of $11,000 in cash by federal agents at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport after a ticket agent reportedly told them he smelled like marijuana. They stopped and searched him at the airport, found no drugs or other banned items and never charged him with a crime, but they took his money.

Clarke says the cash was money he had saved over five years for college tuition. A federal judge this month said he was inclined to believe Clarke and has ordered the feds [6] to actually prove he made the money from drug dealing, as they claim. Clarke may get his money back, but it is an uphill battle. Unlike criminal law, where prosecutors must prove the guilt of the defendant, under civil asset forfeiture law, the burden of proof falls on the person from whom the money or property was seized. The property owner must prove that the property was not the proceeds of crime, and he must pay attorneys to fight for him. And he may not win.

With police racking up billions in seizures each year, law enforcement itself begins to take on the appearance of a criminal enterprise with an ever-expanding appetite. According to Armstrong Economics [7], federal prosecutors seized an estimated $12.6 billion between 1989 and 2010, and the trend is upward. Federal asset forfeiture proceeds hovered at just under a billion dollars a year until 2007, doubled to two billion by 2009, and doubled again to over four billion in both 2013 and 2014.

Abuses of civil asset forfeiture have struck a chord with the public, and states are now beginning to pass laws banning or severely restricting civil asset forfeiture. Both New Mexico and Michigan did this year, and so did Wyoming, though that law fell victim to a governor's veto.

The issue is again gaining attention in Congress, which passed minor asset forfeiture reforms after a similar outcry 15 years ago. There are at least two bills going after civil asset forfeiture in this Congress, including one from Sen. Rand Paul [8] (R-KY) and a bipartisan bill [9] that would bar the use of civil asset forfeiture funds by the DEA to eradicate marijuana.

But until federal legislation actually passes, it's still open season on the citizenry.

Links:
[3] http://ij.org/report/policing-for-profit/
[4] https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014
[5] https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ngs-and-now-13-police-departments-want-a-cut/
[6] http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/judg...ve-it-has-cause-to-keep-students-seized-11000
[7] http://www.armstrongeconomics.com/archives/39102
[8] https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/s255
[9] https://lieu.house.gov/sites/lieu.house.gov/files/documents/LIEU_015_xml.pdf

http://www.alternet.org/drugs/police-ripped-more-stuff-burglars-last-year

The biggest organized crime gang is the law enforcement.

It should never be construed as a crime to have more than 10k on you in cash. They should never be allowed to seize cash, even if it is a large sum and in different denominations. Even if it is in the pocket of someone that also has crack or heroin or pot there is just too many ways a person can make that money that is not illegal, that it becomes impossible to prove that it was not made legally. I also hate when I am watching cops and someone gets pulled over for an equipment violation (my favorite is license plate light is too dim), and the cop happens to find some personal use pot after breaking the victims 16th amendment rights. The cop then tows the vehicle and it becomes property of the police department in quite a few states. I mean seriously, under George W. Bush LE were gifted a whole bunch of surplus military grade equipment for free (including armored vehicles)...why now do they need our cars, homes, and money.

I like the fact that more cops are being charged with crimes due to their violent shoot first ask questions later attitudes, but this just goes way beyond being an officer of the "peace".

I think I am going to write a letter to my senator because florida is a huge culprit in the civil asset forfeiture racket.:sus::sus::sus:

Manboychef, agreed. I don't watch cops but my wife used to like it. Last time I watched it with her the whole episode was a group of cops In a van in some city...leaving cigarettes on the dashboard of a car with the windows down and leaving a purse on a subway bench....waiting for people to grab them and busting them.

It was infuriating to watch. These crimes would've never happened had it not been for the cops putting the items there. Even though theft sucks, it's a crime and should be, I felt like they were acting more like morality police than anything.

Either way, I sent an email to my reps regarding that article. I know it doesn't always help but it definitely doesn't hurt and I'm sure whoever reads them knows my email by now.

Regarding asset forfeiture. No civilized justice system should have "guilty until proven innocent" system. If there is an accusation, the one who accuses must prove the guilt, not the accusation automatically making the accusee guilty until they prove themselves innocent. That is just absolutely backwards. Hence "innocent until proven guilty" with no exceptions as far as I'm concerned.

I like the fact that more cops are being charged with crimes due to their violent shoot first ask questions later attitudes, but this just goes way beyond being an officer of the "peace".

Two more cops were acquitted of killing people in orlando just recently. A third is back on active duty after he shot a man (he was a plain clothes detective) that didn't announce himself.
You roll up two deep with guns in a bad neighborhood I feel that the homeowner has a right to protect themselves, especially if the cops immediately draw their weapons without announcing they are the police...and some criminals will actually announce as police just to make you submissive enough to rob you.

This is a sad world we live in these days.

This is a tough one for me. Yes there are curropted cops. Same as any profession. Yes a lot do go overboard or talk to you in a shitty accusing way but I've had friends who worked in the city. Imagine raiding a crack house finding a dead baby then trying to look at a crackhead the next day and have compassion. I'm not agreeing with it what so ever buy from the Human point I get it. I still have trouble trusting certain groups of people out of conditioning in extreme circumstances. Society gives us too hard of a going over imo. Army /police get the worst media shit show All the good that is done gets nothing but 1 mistake and everyone sterotypes. I've been spit on called nasty names because I wear the same uniform as some dick who tourteted a dude at gtmo?! Sorry but it just not fair
The media your reading IS NOT the facts. A lot of the money and drugs taken from raids go to something else of use. No government is legal. All countries leaders are theift and that's how the world works
If 5 million in money and drugs are not in evidence either it was stole(not easy to pull off at all) or recycled to other government agencies for the overall working of the state/country

Police are not trained enough with weapons. Instead of a couple years they do a few months and get a gun. I've heard of some Americans becoming police after 9 months?!? That's insane. I had 2 years training before I could hold the responsibility of a loaded weapon.
The USA fucked up by allowing anyone with eyes a gun
What can you really expect from a person with under a year training. That's insane. But it's not the group it's the people putting untrained idiots in those situations and some are just simple douche bags

Last edited by a moderator: