• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Plans for Jan 26 Australia/Invasion Day?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I’m curious what Aussie members plan for Jan 26. Also curious whether they are on the Celebrate or Change the Date side of things.

Personally I see both sides of the argument but am not sure which way I really lean deep down.

So in Sydney I’m going to drop some breakfast LSD on Jan 26 and go participate in the Invasion Day stuff for a while and then go and find a park or beach full of people just loving Australia to death under their Southern Cross tattoos and Aussie Flags.

Hopefully bu the end of the day I’ll have an epiphany.

It you are in Sydney maybe I’ll see you at one or the other.

Don't even know what it is lol

You live in Western Australia but you don’t know what Australia Day (Jan 26) is?

It is a National Public Holiday to celebrate the arrival of the the first British colonists at Sydney Cove and their establishment of a permanent settlement there on that date in 1788 under the leadership of Gov. Arthur Phillip. It’s been celebrated in one way or another (usually involving massive drinking) in SYdney/NSW since 1808 but became the offical day for all states in1946. Since 1938 though, there has been a growing movement amongst Aboriginal People and their supporters to cancel the holiday and/or change the date as they see it as Invasion Day and nothing to celebrate.

@Perforated Thanks for that. I've herd rumors lol. Do you think anyone really celebrates "the arrival of the the first British colonists" ? I don't know anyone who gives a fuck about 1788. Neither abo or otherwise. Must be an eastern-states thing. What a pack of wankers lol :eggplant:

@Perforated Thanks for that. I've herd rumors lol. Do you think anyone really celebrates "the arrival of the the first British colonists" ? I don't know anyone who gives a fuck about 1788. Neither abo or otherwise. Must be an eastern-states thing. What a pack of wankers lol :eggplant:
In WA I think they have Lang Hancock Day which makes more sense I suppose.

I just bothered to explain because from your username i thought you might have been a recent arrival.

You did a good explaining about Arthur Phillip, Sydney Cove & massive drinking since 1808. I didn't know. Cheers for that Possum.
You seem a little miffed though, and you forget about Captain Cook? So you'll all be sloshing around on jan 26, drunk packs of yobbos celebrating or hating events long past. Or just sitting on the fence - that's what you're doing. Me too. Don't give a shit.
Wtf is a Lang Hancock?

@Perforated Hey I can be a fukwit at times. Sorry about that. Have you ever had a wank on Australia Day?

Last edited:
Matey mate ...you can see what's been deleted, right ?
I apologize. Truth is, I am a bit of a fukwit. Just ask my friend the wankerer :)

Last edited:
Matey mate ...you can see what's been deleted, right ?
I apologize. Truth is, I am a bit of a fukwit. Just ask my friend the wankerer :)
It’s all good. I made the thread because I’m genuinely interested in how Australian members think about Australia Day. Maybe it is only big on the East Coast. That was news to me - so interesting. But there seems to be growing Culture War battle between those who are proud of it all and want to celebrate the Settlement with a party amd those who are ashamed of it all and want to change the date and mourn the Invasion.

As mentioned in original post, I don’t know what I think so I’m going to spend the day with both groups and see who is more convincing while I have a head full of acid. I was thinking @Vagabond696 and some other Sydneysiders might be equally curious.

It’s all good. I made the thread because I’m genuinely interested in how Australian members think about Australia Day. Maybe it is only big on the East Coast. That was news to me - so interesting. But there seems to be growing Culture War battle between those who are proud of it all and want to celebrate the Settlement with a party amd those who are ashamed of it all and want to change the date and mourn the Invasion.

As mentioned in original post, I don’t know what I think so I’m going to spend the day with both groups and see who is more convincing while I have a head full of acid. I was thinking @Vagabond696 and some other Sydneysiders might be equally curious.

Over the last 20-25 years I've been celebrating Australia Day over here in the UK (sometimes in Oz), I've noticed how it's become a more nuanced affair over the years. Less bombastic and more self-aware. Not quite to the extent of calling it 'Invasion Day' or being all morose and sullen. But nevertheless I think with more awareness of the context of settlement and the downsides to those displaced, especially in the last 5 years. Probably just a superficial nod to aboriginal culture really, I guess, but still - a change. For instance, one of my aussie friends cooked everything in 2019 with a traditional Aboriginal earth oven in her garden. We'd probably be outliers though.

Over the last 20-25 years I've been celebrating Australia Day over here in the UK (sometimes in Oz), I've noticed how it's become a more nuanced affair over the years. Less bombastic and more self-aware. Not quite to the extent of calling it 'Invasion Day' or being all morose and sullen. But nevertheless I think with more awareness of the context of settlement and the downsides to those displaced, especially in the last 5 years. Probably just a superficial nod to aboriginal culture really, I guess, but still - a change. For instance, one of my aussie friends cooked everything in 2019 with a traditional Aboriginal earth oven in her garden. We'd probably be outliers though.
Like Christmas, I've always considered the history of how it came to be, pretty much irrelevant to the day's celebrations.

In the present day, for me at least, Australia Day is about barbecuing with your mates, making some new mates, and listening to the Triple J hottest 100 countdown.

I don't care to celebrate the day that a bunch of colonial dickheads brought their problems here and started setting up shop on someone else's land.

I was born here and feel that makes Australia my home, but I can respect that my home is built on land that's been taken care of for 80,000 years by a group of people who didn't put a fucking dent in the place. The people who came here on that day in 1788 have been the worst tenants possible; Pulling uranium and lead out of the ground, carelessly poisoning the earth, the rivers and the reefs.

The thylacine, one of the most intriguing species, wiped out for eating sheep: the same thing we do. Fences apparently didn't exist back then. The platypus, another unique as all fuck specimen, barely surviving in the polluted waters here. For those that don't know, we have about 20 different types of tree kangaroo (seriously, kangaroos that live up trees). You won't see them though, because they're all on the verge of extinction.

Which brings me back to January 26th, I want to celebrate what we do have, while we still have it - I don't want to celebrate a day that some pirates seized a bunch of land and then fucked the place up. Any other day is fine. January 26 has bad connotations.

How about first week of March, I think we only have 8 public holidays that month, might as well bring it up to 9 to match every other month in this country.

Seriously though, kangaroos in trees, check it out if you haven't already.

, but I can respect that my home is built on land that's been taken care of for 80,000 years by a group of people who didn't put a fucking dent in the place.

Unless you count the hypothesis that the entire centre of the country was turned into a desert and the slow-moving megafauna hunted to extinction by aboriginal “land management”. .

A lot of “indigenous as caretaker of country” is possibly mythical bullshit that actual scientists are now terrified to contradict.

The most often quoted authority is Marcia Langton FFS. Hardly a acientist.

I am slowly learning more about the traditional owners of the land I live on, Dja Dja Wurrung country (central Victoria). I’d rather spend time understanding the First Nations people’s history and culture than celebrate the 1788 arrival of the first fleet. So I’d be more comfortable with the date being changed.

As it stands we don’t celebrate Australia Day but we don’t go to Invasion Day protests either. Kind of noncommittal as to what to do that weekend. Use to always be at Rainbow Serpent festival but now that’s over… 🙁

i recon we get rid of australia day
on the 26th & have 2 days off;

the first one in honor of our
indigenous sisters
& brothers
culture

& the second a day to
celebrate australia
not continuing to
be a solution to
britains inane
conception
solution
2 hulks

they dont have to be sequential but i
think it wool help + keep the ol
holiday no 1 will complain if
u call it cuntday

My great great great great Greater than Greater grandfather was part of the stolen generation back in the U.k years ago and they say he turned up here on the 26th of January . So yea me and the boys just have beers for him that day .. he drove a boat apparently... Hope he had sunscreen back then