Physical Exams and Drug testing question

Eradikate

Bluelighter
Hello bluelighters I was on here searching for an answer about drug testing in the MEGA drug test thread and on all the blue light forums but could not find a satisfactory answer for my question. My question is if my health insurance is provided by my Company/Union and I schedule and take a regular physical (not a physical/drug test but a standard physical) under their health care providers, would it be possible that if i take a blood test or urine test, my THC level would be detected and possibly be reported to My Employer and My Union. Is there a confidentiality law that would prevent such a thing from occuring or am i possibly shit out of luck. I'm not afraid to ask a doctor this question but I'd rather get some information before I just go and schedule an appointment and set myself up for a trap. Basically any information on this matter would be useful and thanks in advance.

In a normal physical they don't look for drugs, they look for health problems.

I agree with Cloudy. Just the same, you should ask the health care provider doing the physical who the exam results will be released to. Under HIPAA guidelines, you must be informed who will be getting the results, and in any event the release of these results must be authorized by your written signature.

This release is often obtained before health care or exams are provided, so read any paperwork very carefully. Also ask the examiner to explicitly tell you what types of tests your blood and urine samples will be subjected to.

A normal routine physical will include a CBC and urinalysis, where they are looking for any abnormalities in red/white blood cell counts, blood sugar, clotting factors, etc. that may indicate an abnormal health condition. They should not be doing tests for illicit drugs without your knowledge and consent.

tobala said:
They should not be doing tests for illicit drugs without your knowledge and consent.
Yes. A regular medical exam is not the usual way that employers get medical information. As others have pointed out, there are state and federal laws that protect your medical privacy.

There almost always has to be "informed consent" on the part of the employee in order for test results to be sent to an employer. That is, the employee must know (1) what the urine or hair sample is being used for and (2) must agree that it can be used for the purpose. I was also under the impression that a healthcare provider could not test for drugs without patient consent either. For example, if you provide a urine sample to check blood cell count or the other things tobala mentioned, the doc cannot go ahead and test for drugs anyway.

You should, however, learn the "drug-free workplace" policy of your employer. This policy can require a clean urine as part of employment.

Missykins is right.
If your employer participates in a drug-free workplace and has given you paperwork on that. Check very closely because by signing that you may have consented to drug test by the doctor giving the exam in which case the doctor can disclose to your employer any part of your physical exam including a dirty urine test. I am willing to bet that you probably have signed something like this. If your job is making you get a physical they would need a report from the doctor which under the hipa law you would have to sign something that would allow your employer to review your physical to make sure that you're physically fit to do the job that you are hired for

bravo-6 said:
I am willing to bet that you probably have signed something like this.
probably not. drug test disclosure and consent usually has to be conspicuous. it is the kind of thing that you would notice and be warned about.

Also, if you do have to submit to urine (they are typically unsupervised), you typically have it performed at a lab with a monitor rather than a drs. office--this has benn my experience. And it is a conspicuouse part of employee documents but you may have just signed it anyways.

You would get warned over your spelling, Missykins, but your posts are too good. Substance > form. :)

uNlEsS u WrIt LiK tHiS. ;)