• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Physical dependence

parlic

Greenlighter
Hi I was just curious if anybody could answer some questions for me about physical opioid dependence.

I am now 7 days into withdrawal from 30mg oxy a day. Admittedly, having gotten some energy back already, I do feel pretty good about stopping. I decided to take a break in an effort to break physical dependence, and begin using less frequently. My question is, how long do I need to wait from this point on until I can dose again without "resetting" everything? Mainly what I mean is that, for instance, if I had used again two days into withdrawal, I would have the withdrawal cycle start again 12 hours later. I am trying to find out how long I need to be sober before I can use again without starting over and having to go through gross withdrawals once more.

I am well aware that trying to use as often as once a week is a slippery slope into twice a week, then every other day, then everyday again. However, I do feel confident, having gone through the worst of these recent withdrawals, that I do not want to form a regular physical dependence again. Any advice is appreciated!

The period of time you were using before you took the tolerance break can influence how long it takes to return to a opioid naive state. The amount of time also depends on the individual, age, activity, other meds, etc.

2 weeks to reset, then 4-5 days between use is where I was at for a long period of time, but again there are so many variables at work that trial and error might be your best bet to find that answer out.

If I'm being completely honest, it literally takes me like 3 days to get fully back on the dark and twisted carousel.

It doesn't even matter how much sobriety I have under my belt. I'll leave myself mental wiggle room and a week and a half later I'm shitting my pants.

If I'm being completely honest, it literally takes me like 3 days to get fully back on the dark and twisted carousel.

It doesn't even matter how much sobriety I have under my belt. I'll leave myself mental wiggle room and a week and a half later I'm shitting my pants.
I just lol?d at this but so true and so well put. I remember years ago when I had the willpower to deal with withdrawals easily, I?d get a month clean and slammed one time with a friend and went out to the mall. It?s been 4 years since that mall day and I?m still using.
Shit is a bitch. You will find yourself not having the willpower to deal with withdrawals after you?ve had to endure them multiple times. I don?t belive in the ?kindling effect? so to speak, meaning that every time you detox it gets tougher and tougher. I think it?s a mental willpower issue.
When you detox the first time ever it?s your first time ever dealing with it and experiencing it so you?re mentally more prepared for the challenege.
After multiple detoxes you feel like it?s just too much pain and a waste of time to go through now that it?s not something foreign for you. It just becomes really hard to find the reasons not to get well and just survive day to day once that mindset sets in. Good luck

It's actually a physical issue in a sense be it your muscles, circulation, and whatnot being weakened while it's also the pathways literally being burned into the brain creating a more and more direct access to dependency the more it's burnt in.