• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Philosophy and Spirituality Book/Article Thread

^ I think you'd enjoy "Gödel, Escher and Bach", in case you haven't heard of it - though you likely have.

^ I think you'd enjoy "Gödel, Escher and Bach", in case you haven't heard of it - though you likely have.
thanks, i went on Godel reading spree at some point but found that book too long, tedious and difficult. i remember reading "A World Without Time" - Palle Yourgrau. He is philosophy professor and gets into 'The Godel Universe'. i can still paraphrase some of the quotes " We can have a world in which there is time or a world in which there is existence, but not both" - "If time travel is possible than time itself is not".
TepcMn7.jpg

Last edited:
Studies in Pessimism by Arthur Schopenhauer is the most uplifting philosophy I've ever read. I don't say that in jest.

Studies in Pessimism by Arthur Schopenhauer is the most uplifting philosophy I've ever read. I don't say that in jest.
Have you read 'The Essays of Arthur Schopenhauer: The Wisdom of life'? There is a free kindle version out there.

Arthur Schopenhauer said:
"For the more a man has in himself, the less he will want from other people,—the less, indeed, other people can be to him. This is why a high degree of intellect tends to make a man unsocial."

"But if a man finds himself in possession of great mental faculties, such as alone should venture on the solution of the hardest of all problems—those which concern nature as a whole and humanity in its widest range, he will do well to extend his view equally in all directions, without ever straying too far amid the intricacies of various by-paths, or invading regions little known; in other words, without occupying himself with special branches of knowledge, to say nothing of their petty details. There is no necessity for him to seek out subjects difficult of access, in order to escape a crowd of rivals; the common objects of life will give him material for new theories at once serious and true; and the service he renders will be appreciated by all those—and they form a great part of mankind—who know the facts of which he treats. What a vast distinction there is between students of physics, chemistry, anatomy, mineralogy, zoology, philology, history, and the men who deal with the great facts of human life, the poet and the philosopher!"

pessimism

Last edited:
I'm reading Stay by Jennifer Michael Hecht, as recommended on the forum somewhere. It is a book discussing suicide and reasons against it. I'm finding it useful and interesting.

I'm reading Stay by Jennifer Michael Hecht, as recommended on the forum somewhere. It is a book discussing suicide and reasons against it. I'm finding it useful and interesting.
looks interesting. i'll check to see if i can get it via kindle overdrive, if not, i'll order from the public library.

Thanks

Its well worth a read. I 'found' a PDF version somewhere.

read through the version i linked to in a previous post. the title itself is misleading and was not chosen by Schopenhauer. its a collection of essays you can find scattered in other works. i agree that its an excellent book - i nearly quoted the whole thing on kindle.

mr peabody: Have you read The Kybalion?

bLtXQcl.jpg

oh, since death has come up ad nauseam here in recent months i'd recommend Shelly Kagen's book or lectures on the subject.

Last edited: