• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Pain Management/Sobriety

antilight9

Greenlighter
To start off, this forum is incredible. So many intelligent and seemingly friendly people, and an absolute wealth of information. I have been linked to so many threads here, mainly by doing Google/Bing searches on various topics and questions that I type.

I apologize if I should've just done more research instead of starting a new thread, but here goes.....
(I'll keep it simple, and thank you all ahead of time for all responses and assistance).

I have suffered multiple concussions, and one massive head trauma incident which was getting ran over by a car. A grand total of 8 brain surgeries, and currently have multiple herniated discs in the neck and back. So the pain is around the clock, and pretty fucking relentless.
Like so many of you, it starts with Vicodin. Tolerance builds......more Vicodin......tolerance builds/addiction sets in.....switch to Oxys......blah blah wah wah, now I take an insane amount of Oxys daily. When I run out of my script, I buy more. And if I can't find any, then I will take anything else I can find. #1 because of the pain, #2 because I'm mortified of withdrawals..

So the question-is it possible to take my medicine properly without abusing it? Nothing, and I mean nothing else works. I hate relying on the pills and I would love to stop, but I absolutely refuse to live in pain every day. That isn't going to fucking work.

My only good news (?), is that I still only swallow or chew my pills. I haven't crossed over to snorting or shooting, or any other extreme method. So I hope I can still be saved.

So again, my gratitude and love, and best wishes to you all. And I ask, is it possible to manage my medicine? I really want this nightmare over with......

Is your medication extended release or immediate release? You may want to try something that is extended and only use the IR stuff for breakthrough pain. I've tried it all, and personally, I'd steer clear of any pain medication that was developed to be used intravenously, such as morphine, in tablet form...they just don't seem to work. I've seen family with good results with fentanyl patches every 48 hrs with oxy only as breakthrough.

Thanks so much BPG :)
I'm prescribed Perc 10/325 every 4 to 6 hours. There's no reason why I should need more, my problem is management and obviously addiction. I take too much at once (I'm sure I've wasted doses), and I take them for the wrong reasons.
Worried? Take my meds and get high. Bored? Tired? Take my meds and get high. Next thing you know, the bottle is empty.......

When I took smaller doses, I was more active physically. And obviously my tolerance was lower. So......I need to go back in time to when I was physically active, and took less (and possibly zero) medicine. I'm sorry for rambling. But I need help getting that jump start and actively fighting this monster, but to a small degree this evil will have to remain in my life, because nothing else helps the pain.

Chronic pain and addiction is difficult situation. There is a place in Pennsylvania- its called The Valley Forge Medical Center. They have a chronic pain program. It deals w all of these isssues. I went to it. Ask for Kelly Driscolll. All the best to you.

Hey ant. I'm in a similar situation. I have 24/7 musculoskeletal pain for 14 years, and it got much worse over the last 8 years. At first I was very vigilant with my use. Took days off and waited until nighttime to medicate. I do manual labor which aggravates my muscles so of course the gaps got smaller and smaller.

Few years later and I was physically dependent. Scripts lasted 2 weeks then only a few days. Crazy, i know. Then started making more purchases just to get through a shift. Got to the point where I was working to pay for meds so that i could work. Became a miserable existence. Ruined my life.

I had to take a break from life and the meds. Got my last refill and messed up again, but learned my lesson. Havent purchased anything in over 2 months. This week i will be handing my refill to a family member which i suggest you do as well. I will only be given what I'm prescribed each day.

On top of that, I will be fighting to take even less. I think this plan will set you in the right direction before you end up going down the same path as I did. Also taking breaks is essential i believe. Some days are jusg.going to have to suck, but it's the only way to get relief without being a slave to the drug. order some kratom for your breaks or for when you skip a dose. It will ease the pain and stop 80 percent of WDs.