Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

oxycodone feels like bad speed

morphinestreet

Greenlighter
i'm taking 5 mg a day , and when it wears off i start to get agitated , and cant sit still , and my mood is extremely bad
is heroin anything like this
and is morphine much better for sleep , the oxycodone

oxy is quite stimulating. 5mg a day is a very strange dose. It's usually given every 3 - 6 hours depending on the situation. 5 mg a day makes no sense to me at all whatsoever. I am a nurse and never seen 5mg once a day prescribed on its own. PRN 5mg yes but thats completely different. Are you on any slow release opioid? Oxycontin? MS Contin?

no just that , the doctors would only prescribe 5 mg once a day
because he told me it was addictive

Why is it prescribed? 1 Endone a day covers about 4 hours of moderate pain. Its fuck all. It will work better used in conjunction with panadol. But one a day is retarded. Yes it is addictive if used long term but is generally prescribed for short term acute pain. I honestly cant understand one a day. Are you meant to be in pain the other 20 hours?

A few people i know have been prescribed 5mg daily and have been told to halve them, for two doses, maybe that explains it? i also get that 'fry' or stimulation on oxycodone, very pleasant.

I also am a nurse and find this incredibly strange. Oxy only lasts 4-6hrs, usually it would be prescribed for 3-4 times daily dosing.

Why are you in pain?

I experienced a similar situation when I first started taking opioids for a back injury. I told my doctor that I thought the medication was making me irritable, frustrated and ansy. My doctor helped me see that those negative feelings stemmed from the pain returning when the medication wore off. Imagine how you feel when you just stub your toe. Many pain patients experience the same emotions over an extended period of time when their pain flares up or the pain medication stops working.

Another consideration is that opioids and opiates are both extremely good at treating anxiety and agitation. The anesthetize emotions in a similar way to how they mute pain. My pain condition necessitated that I take oxycodone for over five years, along with Kadian. I had multiple surgeries and amazingly, the last one worked. So I was able to get off my pain medication completely. I discovered that I had not developed patience (the medication did that for me) and that my rebound anxiety and agitation was bad.

There are medications and supplements to help deal with the rebound emotions you experience. There are also slow-release, long acting pain medications, such as Kadian if you need to continue taking pain killers for an extended period. They have a much longer half life and stay in your system so you don't crash before your next dose. Finally, you could also try taking Tagamet or some acid reflux OTC medicine to help keep the oxycodone in your system longer.

I would recommend asking around to see if there is another doctor who can handle your case. Having a doctor who treats you out of fear of addictions instead of prioritizing you medical needs causes patients grief and pain.

I honestly cant understand one a day. Are you meant to be in pain the other 20 hours?

From what I understand, there's a ridiculous imbalance between the tightness of Australia's pain management circumstances and that of America's where oxycodone and hydromorphone are thrown around like candy. It'd be nice to find a middle ground. I dislike the approach taken in Aus of "we won't prescribe these because they're addictive". There are lots of legitimate cases wherein people need something to assist and it's not granted because of the boogeyman of addiction. Who cares about addiction if you're on the edge of topping yourself?

I also am a nurse and find this incredibly strange. Oxy only lasts 4-6hrs, usually it would be prescribed for 3-4 times daily dosing.

Actually the manufacturer of oxy, Purdue Pharma claimed that it was meant to last 12 hours (edit from 18). There is a huge scandal in the US because doctors were prescribing patients on that sort of dosing schedule. But of course after taking their dose for the day patients were discovering that the oxy was wearing off only 6-8 hours after taking it.

This caused patients to take their next day dose ahead of time. Worse patients thought they were chasing "the high" (i'll come back to this) when in fact they were in pain and discomfort. Patients started taking more and more of their script which meant that they were running out well before their script ran out.

Worse when they went back to their prescribers and told them the problem, even if they were lucky enough to get another script, the patients insurance companies were refusing to pay the cost of the medicine, because the doctors prescriptions were prescribing outside of the schedule set down by the Purdue Pharma i.e. 16-18 hours. This meant people with fucked up habits, who had been taking ever increasing amounts of this really bad opiate were suddenly getting cut.

And then shit started getting even worse.

The doctors were told informally by Purdue Pharma reps to start prescribing stronger doses to compensate for the duration issue. Imagine an opiate naive individual with a legitimate injury getting prescribed strong doses of Oxycontin. This caused all manner of problems. First people were getting fucking high. I suspect large numbers of people in american who born into stress and abuse harbour latent addictions. Prescribing that much oxy for the periods of time they were prescribed for was only going to cause these people to become addicted (i.e. suffering opiate withdrawal syndrome), where they would get sick if they didn't dose.

Worse for many who were new to oxy and opiates and with the dismal education in drugs a lot of people were mixing these large doses of oxy with alcohol. Women, with a low body weight, couple of drinks and a large dose of oxy was all that was needed to cause people to have fatal and non-fatal overdoses.

And then of course the backlash. Instead of helping people Doctors were threaten with loss of their practices if they continued to prescribe oxy and what not. So people with chronic pain problems began to have their scripts withdrawn from. I read countless numbers of stories of prescribers forcing people to take urine drug tests and then taking away peoples pain meds when the urine tests didn't reflect that they were taking 20mg of oxy a day (seriously what the fuck. These tests aren't even design for that sort of measurement). Even those who went onto suboxone and methadone were treated this way. With doctors cutting off scripts when they discovered patients with less, supposedly, buprenorphine in their urine then expected.

OR if they had barely detectable levels of cannabis or other drugs in their system that was grounds to being kicked. The few doctors brave to prescribe Oxy were either dodgy as fuck (didn't care about patient outcomes) and charged like hell (which made the problem worse) or were so super strict they kicked people for bullshit "infractions" mainly because they had massive patient lists. People were driving for hours trying to find prescribers, waiting for hours to see them.

So of course people flooded into the black market, onto heroin and other opiates. And that's caused a new crisis. From lopamide, codeine, to strange synthetic opioids analogues of fentanyl, to of course heroin. Which caused their own waves of overdose, crime and health problems.

I have a news alert for a variety key words describing opiates. The thousands of stories being posted every day across the the planet is heart breaking. The misery is just breathtaking.

I feel like we're eating crazy pills. There are countless states and regions trying to take a stand, trying to fight the scourge of addiction and opiates. They have same emergency meetings. Police chiefs get up and talk about the signs of a user. Local health professional saying how there isn't enough rehab. People getting up and saying that we should arrest all those druggies and dealers. Others saying to follow NA. They create same task forces and nothing changes.

Every day thousands are getting busted for trafficking and possession. Nothing is changing. The drug war isn't being won. The misery of every arrest and the united states prison system is heartbreaking. But overall there is a huge amount of guilt, denial and hate mixed in with resentment and bigotry. The looking down ones nose at dirty junkies and thinking that you are better then them.

Like how rich people are just poor people with money, straight un-addicted people are just junkies without drugs. Its just heart breaking how we're utterly failing. How the same response across thousands of jurisdictions is being played out with the same predictable results. More addicts, more crime, more death and destruction.

And all because a drug company lied about how long their medication would work for.

Last edited:
I agree that 1 per day is not common, but it's great for break-through pain
My grandmother takes a multitude of oral pain relief around the clock.
Her 1 x5 mg at lunchtime was a cover-off against breakthrough pain due to physical activity.
5mg is also adequate for chronic pain, where other medications are being used.
I have been prescribed endone for acute torticollis (muscle spasm in neck)
some instances, 5mg when I wake up is adequate. After which other medicines
are used throughout the day, usually a combination of parecetamol/codeine.
Everyone's pain tolerances are as diverse as the sources of pain themselves.
you might actually have found a very smart & caring doctor.

I find all opiates leave you feeling a bit agitated and irritable. I mean it's not like a coke comedown but it's definitely noticeable. Taking a benzo fixes it. Not that I would recommend that.

What opiates x dosage are you taking?
I don't get agitated, but definitely restless. Personally I enjoy the opiate withdrawal fevers that I get.
its almost cleansing. Like any withdrawal, be it from a prescribed dosage or recreational; once you realised and accept the symptoms are 'withdrawal' it's easier to endure.
i have a friend who would get depressed from ecstasy withdrawal. Once i reminded her of her train for depression, things got easier.
step 1) acknowledge the symptoms
strp 2) manage them.