• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids oral methylnaltrexone (relistor) for constipation

rolls_

Bluelighter
I've read that oral relistor is now available in the US. Has anyone had this prescribed for opiate constipation? It sounds much safer and better for you to use long term instead of relying on laxatives.

If you have had it prescribed how expensive is it?

Your having constipation so bad your willing to take methylnaltrexone? What would make it safer then laxatives? Polyethylene glycol is pretty benign.

You could try more "natural" ish laxatives like glycerol or sorbitol

I have used this medication, it didn't do much for me. It might be worth trying, but I'd be super paranoid about taking anything related to a full opioid antagonist while taking full agonist opioids. When I took it I hadn't used in a couple days.

Stimulant laxatives are definitely not safe to take long term at high doses, but stool softener are prettt safe. Perhaps try those, increase your fiber, exercise and drink plenty of water. That probably helped me deal with opioid related constipation. Sometimes I'd put off dosing until right after pooping, as that was necessary on a few occasions.

I just realized though, you are asking about the oral use of this medication? I thought it was only meant for IM/SC use? I believe I had it IM.

And fyi this medication is VERY expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not supposed to cross the bbb so it shouldn't block the cns effect, but it is meant to block peripheral effects so I bet not only does it risk reducing inflammation relief from the peripheral receptors, but possibly create other negative symptoms like nausea although I'm not sure about the nausea as it's speculation rather than the inflammation being stated on Wikipedia.

Right, that is why I said it's more like a superstitious paranoia on my part. If I was severely constipated to the point of being in pain and visiting an ER, and had the insurance to cover it, I'm sure I'd jump at a chance to use this. But I'm so far removed from that kind of thing these days...

Why specific symptoms are you considering this medication to treat OP?

I'm on 0.25mg suboxone long term (opiate user almost 10 years now) and I am getting narcotic bowel syndrome. I go to the toilet daily however they are very thin and I get large intestine pain. This causes lower back pain as my intestines pull on my spine.

All short term stimulants irritate my intestine further causing more pain. Softener sort of work but cause bloating.

Tried glycerol but doesn't cause enough change for the effort of inserting it.

Low dose naltrexone seems to work to a point but beyond that causes withdrawal.

Massaging my large intestine works quite well however I'm effecting manually doing what it should already do.

I need something I can use long term to help rid myself of the intestine pain.

I had a colonscopy that ruled out anything actually wrong with my intestine.

Methylnaltrexone looks like it would fix the cause I instead of treat the symptoms.

I exercise daily. Drink lots of water and eat spinach and fibre daily so I am do g everything else right.

I also had a ct scan (pain was that bad at one stage) that showed masses of fecal matter sitting in my intestines. They seemed to think the opiates had over sensitised my glial cells (opiates irritate these causing an increased sensitivity to pain long term.) this coupled with the constipation was causing my pain.

Now the pain is just an annoyance however it is causing issues with my back when I do weights due to my intestines tugging on my spine. This makes heavy lifting prone to injury.

Miralax works wonders.... You'll be farting and pooping all day yet it won't feel forced

Miralax works wonders.... You'll be farting and pooping all day yet it won't feel forced

I'll give it a shot. Its glycerin just like the suppositories yeah? You can't use it long term though can you?

It's not supposed to cross the bbb so it shouldn't block the cns effect, but it is meant to block peripheral effects so I bet not only does it risk reducing inflammation relief from the peripheral receptors, but possibly create other negative symptoms like nausea although I'm not sure about the nausea as it's speculation rather than the inflammation being stated on Wikipedia.

It kind of sounds perfect for me. It would reverse all of the GI tract issues and also stop my back issues. I only use suboxone as an anti depressant these days (why I'm on such a low dose) so I can handle if it reverse some of the effects. Probably make withdrawal easier as well as you'd probably partially go through withdrawal (eg your body not your brain) when you first start taking it.

I know the injection has been approved in Australia but not sure about the oral formulation. I might try one of the addiction centers here and see if they can help me, I'm not poor so I'm happy to spend a fair bit on it.

Yea docs have always recommended it because it's not an irritating compound. You can use it regularly, but trust me you don't want to use the dose they tell you more than the first day. You'll literally have explosive farts.