• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

opiates and cathelicidin

saveyour

Ex-Bluelighter
hi i was reading recently on: HOW DRUGS AFFECT NEUROTRANSMITTERS. that "Chronic consumption of opiates inhibits the production of cAMP, but this inhibition is offset in the long run by other cAMP production mechanisms. When no opiates are available, this increased cAMP production capacity comes to the fore and results in neural hyperactivity and the sensation of craving the drug." so if i take a vitamin d supplement (assuming thats the supplement that would fix the production of cAMP to reduce cravings?) would that help returning my brain neurochemistry back to normal? anyone have any insight into this or supplements that are neuroprotective if you are a chronic opiate user (oxycodone, about 80mg a day in my case) such as myself.. thanks bl! :D

saveyour said:
hi i was reading recently on: HOW DRUGS AFFECT NEUROTRANSMITTERS. that "Chronic consumption of opiates inhibits the production of cAMP, but this inhibition is offset in the long run by other cAMP production mechanisms. When no opiates are available, this increased cAMP production capacity comes to the fore and results in neural hyperactivity and the sensation of craving the drug." so if i take a vitamin d supplement (assuming thats the supplement that would fix the production of cAMP to reduce cravings?) would that help returning my brain neurochemistry back to normal? anyone have any insight into this or supplements that are neuroprotective if you are a chronic opiate user (oxycodone, about 80mg a day in my case) such as myself.. thanks bl! :D

And how/where does cathelicidin fit in? Cathelicidin is an endogenous peptide that I work with, that acts as an immune system regulator and as an antimicrobial agent. I couldn't find any mention of it in that article you linked to.

raybeez said:
And how/where does cathelicidin fit in? Cathelicidin is an endogenous peptide that I work with, that acts as an immune system regulator and as an antimicrobial agent. I couldn't find any mention of it in that article you linked to.
errr what does cAMP stand for in the article? sorry im not very technically inclined when it comes to neurotransmitters heh

camp is the precursor for atp, the body's energy source
(or is it the other way round??)

when camp levels in your brain are too high, then maybe your brain doesn't know what to do with all the energy and this eventually leads to convulsions and anxiety. simply spoken. :)

morphiquet said:

when camp levels in your brain are too high, then maybe your brain doesn't know what to do with all the energy and this eventually leads to convulsions and anxiety. simply spoken. :)

is their any simple way for a layperson to combat or prevent this from occuring?

morphiquet said:

cAMP is synthesized from ATP. cAMP is one of the most common intracellular messenger molecules used by all cell types -- it's synthed by the enzyme adenylase cyclase following activation of G-protein coupled receptors. cAMP itself has nothing to do with "energy" per se, all though it does take ATP to make.

Opiate related cAMP "deficiency" is due to mu-receptor downregulation, i.e. less of the receptor on the outside of the cell that turns on cAMP production inside the cell.

cAMP levels are not something you want to fuck around with. Many bacterial and fungal toxins work by turning on cAMP production in the wrong cells and/or at the wrong time.