• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opiate WD Questions

NocTheDoc

Greenlighter
Hey there everyone

So to start, I would like to thank everyone in advance. I know Opiate Withdrawal has been discussed countless times, not only on here, but all over the internet. I am in a really rough patch and just need some advice etc from people that have gone through Opiate Withdrawal.

Before I delve into my questions, let me give you a little bit of background on my usage. My DOC has mainly been Oxycodone​ (Roxi's, and OxyContin). I have been using for about a year and a half. It has consumed my life outside of work, I haven't let it affect my work and I NEVER use before/when working. But for the most part it has been daily. If I can help it. I am ready to be done, it consumes so much time. And I cannot, will not let it interfere with my career.

Now to my questions. I have had small tastes of withdrawal when I didn't have money. The longest I have gone without is 2 days. My questions are mainly pointed at current/past users of opiates that have gone through WD, but I am open to input from anyone.

First question, how long did it take you to get through the worst part of the physical WD? I know it varies from person to person, just wondering people's personal experiences.

Second, how did you cope with the mental addiction?

How long do you think it should take me to get back to normal? I weigh 120 pounds, am 5' 9" ... And I am a 18 yo Male. Very fast metabolism.

Is there anything you recommend to help with WD? Will weed help at all? I am an EMT so I know that Clonidine will help with managing my BP, as well as sleeping. Anything else you guys can think of that will help?

Last thing. Basically, I am hoping some of you can share your personal experience with opiate WD. I am looking for any support, tips, motivation etc that you guys can give me. I am ready to kick this addiction.

Thanks in advance brothers and sisters, and I look forward to reading your responses. I read through the blue light rules, and hope I followed all of the forum rules.

How many mgs a day would you say you used on average?

Quick rundown of opiate withdrawal in my experience

day 1 - not too bad. You will still have some oxycodone lingering in your system so that is why its not that bad. I just felt like odd really, not so much sick. may have some trouble falling asleep but my trick was to just not go to sleep until I passed out

day 2 - you will feel pretty bad. Everything aches and doing anything sucks. Appetite will be almost zero and your desire to use will be through the roof. Falling asleep is damn near impossible and I seemed to sweat more at night time.

day 3 - the worst day. Eating anything will be annoying and you feel like someone just beat the shit out of you. Will feel hot and cold throughout the day and have sweats for no reason. Expect a lot of trips to the bathroom. Sleep will be hard to obtain

day 4 - you've made it through the worst of it but still feel pretty off. Body won't hurt quite as much and you'll still be lazy as hell but you should at least be able to get up and move without too much stress. Food starts becoming appealing a bit more and you won't be in the bathroom quite as much. Sleep is hit or miss still.

day 5 - probably the first day you could realistically go out and do stuff. Work would suck but it's still possible. Body just feels a bit sluggish and lazy but not in a crippling way. Eating should be pretty much normal and sleeping should be back to normal.

from here on you just get back to normalcy bit by bit until about after like a week when I'd say you are pretty much good

as far as the mental addiction goes, shit man if I had the answer for that I'd be a billionaire. surround yourself with good people, learn to appreciate things and not take them for granted, find commitments to stuff to keep you busy.

good luck

just noticed you asked if weed will help.

Absolutely it does. Think about the horrible stuff I just listed

body aches: weed helps with that
no appetite: weed helps with that
cant fall asleep: weed helps with that

the only thing weed won't alleviate is the bathroom trips

The outline provided is on point.

something to consider, the craving will be intense from the moment you open your eyes on day 1. obsessive thoughts and depression are likely. anhedonia- the loss of pleasure in activities that used to cause pleasure. All you'll think about is using and how that will make everything better.

there are tons of detox recipes online but some basics:
-DXM in therapeutic doses has been researched and shown to alleviate w/d symptoms.
-benzodiazepines will aid in the anxiety and inability to sleep (though they are addictive too)
-gabapentinoids are priceless - gabapentin, pregablin, phenibut - aids in physiological and mental symptoms
-loperamide in therapeutic doses will aid in decreasing the diahrrea
-marijuana will definitely help overall
-ibuprofen for body aches

my recipe is something like this:

wake up:
5mg diazepam
60mg DXM
800mg ibuprofen
4-8mg loperamide
300mg gabapentin or 1 gram phenibut
marijuana

I would repeat either at lunch and evening or just evening depending on how I felt. That is what has worked for me.

kratom also helps a ton because it is an opioid. It will help but it is addictive as well as it activates MOR.

I think the first time I kicked about a 2 year heroin run, I didn't sleep for a week. You can make it, but remember how you feel now about your use. Remember how you feel now in 5 days when you're deep in w/D.

you can do it. opioids are incredibly addictive. the high and the lifestyle. you're lucky to only have 1.5 years under your belt and a desire to change.
it only gets worse dude, I commend you.

be safe :)

Last edited:
Hey man it varies, I prefer​ OxyContin, and take around 4 to 5, 80mg OxyContin in a 24 hr period.

If not OxyContin, then around 6 to 8, 30mg Roxi's a day.

Thank you so much for the outline, that really helped give me a better idea of what to expect. I have heard, like you mentioned that the first week is the worst part, and I know that isn't that long of a time period, but when you're​ facing WD it seems like an eternity. I am not going to let that discourage me. I am ready to be done!

Yeah that's true you could have problems getting a good night's sleep for longer than 5 days. I guess what I meant was on days 2 and 3 it is hard to fall asleep at all. I would find myself passing out for like an hour, then being unable to fall asleep for another hour and just laying there miserable. And I had a tv at least. Watched some random stuff on tv and ironically one time I was watching Cops for like 5 hours straight one night and it actually helped because I reminded myself that at least I wasn't kicking in jail

All of the replies here are spot on. It has always amazed me that pretty much ALL of us knew this bleak experience waited for us at the end of the dark OA tunnel and yet we still indulged. Now that you've set your mind on exiting the tunnel I want to add a few insights not yet mentioned;

- Try to reduce your daily opioid intake in the weeks ahead of 'Hell Week'. Do this slowly; taking eight Oxys a day? Drop to seven for a few days, then six and so on. Quit twice and this approach, unlike the first 'cold turkey' effort made WD much less agonizing.

- I would suggest a much simpler cocktail to help you through it. Gabapentin will be your savior. Keep it in your system for the duration; you WILL sleep a great deal! Without it, you WILL NOT sleep at all. Add regular doses of Pramipexole to give some remedy to what will otherwise be out of control restless legs.

- Withdrawal while on an antidepressant that you know WORKS for you can make a tremendous difference. The health care professionals that administer them being at your side; a nice added bonus! Three addicts quit together and the one (me) that had been on desvenlafaxine for several weeks beforehand suffered considerably less than the other two.

-And now perhaps the most painful advice of all. Once you get clean you'll have to take another major step on your road to recovery. Saying goodbye to all your OA friends that choose not to join the living as you have just done. Trust me, it's the only way.