Online Survey for Australian Injecting Drug Users

Hello Bluelighters
Just thought I would provide an update on this research. As previously mentioned, all of the data has been collected. Since that last post, I have written and submitted a thesis of the work as part of the requirements for the Master of Clinical Psychology (which I have now finished =D). I have also written a manuscript which was accepted for publication in the Journal of Substance Use (=D=D). When the article is actually published, I will provide details of the issue here. Any interested person can then view the abstract via the journal’s website, or if you have access to scientific journals (or know someone who does), you will be able to view the full article. Unfortunately, it will not be open access. For those who want an overview without having to access the journal, I will provide a summary once the article has been published.

Also,

For everyone’s knowledge, the iPod has been awarded, so if you haven’t received it yet, then you were not successful, sorry :(

thanks, scott! much appreciated.

if you've ever got any other upcoming studies let me know via pm or i'll check in here more frequently. i'm in the cq area so am more than willing to help when and where possible :)

congrats on the graduation!

Hello Bluelighters
Just thought I would provide an update on this research. As previously mentioned, all of the data has been collected. Since that last post, I have written and submitted a thesis of the work as part of the requirements for the Master of Clinical Psychology (which I have now finished =D). I have also written a manuscript which was accepted for publication in the Journal of Substance Use (=D=D). When the article is actually published, I will provide details of the issue here. Any interested person can then view the abstract via the journal’s website, or if you have access to scientific journals (or know someone who does), you will be able to view the full article. Unfortunately, it will not be open access. For those who want an overview without having to access the journal, I will provide a summary once the article has been published.

Also,

For everyone’s knowledge, the iPod has been awarded, so if you haven’t received it yet, then you were not successful, sorry :(

Congratulations on the publication and completion of your masters! Thanks also for keeping us updated. Looking forward to reading it :)

Great work Scott - glad Bluelight could assist in this study and also looking forward to seeing the paper.

Hello Bluelighters
The first article from this study has now been published in the Journal of Substance Use, Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 21-30. The following link should take you there:

http://informahealthcare.com/toc/jsu/18/1

The article is titled, 'Addicted to the needle: The relationship between needle fixation and impulsivity'.

Thanks again for your support and I will post again when the second article is published. At this stage, that could be a while away but will be happening eventually.

Regards
Scott

Congrats on getting your article published!

Hinton, S. L., Signal, T. D., & Ghea, V. C. (2013). Addicted to the needle: the relationship between needle fixation and impulsivity. Journal of Substance Use, 18(1), 21-30.

Aim: This research examined the relationship between needle fixation and impulsivity in a bid to guide the development of treatments for needle fixation. The research also examined the position of needle fixation within contemporary diagnostic nomenclature.
Design: Participants completed a battery of self-report psychometric tests to differentiate between needle fixated and non-needle fixated injecting drug users as well as to assess for impulsivity.
Participants: Participants were 68 injecting drug users from Australia recruited via an online forum as well as via 10 sites of the Queensland Needle and Syringe Program.
Measurements: Four psychometric tests were used: the Needle Fixation Profile, the Barratt Impulsiveness Scale, the Leeds Dependence Questionnaire and the Severity of Dependence Scale.
Findings: Findings indicated that needle-fixated injecting drug users were more impulsive than non-needle-fixated injecting drug users, but not significantly so.
Conclusion: The results provide further support that the needle-fixated injecting drug users possess idiosyncratic characteristics requiring consideration in treatment. The findings of the research propel the position that needle fixation may be characterised as a behavioural addiction. Consequently, current evidence-based treatments for behavioural addictions could be modified to address the inherent difficulties of impulse control in those identified as needle-fixated injecting drug users.

And thanks for mentioning us in your methods section :)