Olanzapine withdrawal?

Ignant

Bluelighter
Ive been on olanzapine aka zyprexa for nearly 2 years now (im 17) and I have been tapering down from 10mg by 2.5 a month for 3 months and just went down to 2.5 last night.
I have absolutely no motivation or energy and am having nearly constant suicidal thoughts that I havent really told anyone about. My diagnosis is schizophrenia but I'm not really sure if I agree, I havent been having any delusions of hallucinations.
Anyways, is it possible that im not really sick and these are effects from going down on the medication? Has anyone had experience going off of olanzapine?

and mods please dont close this like every other thread i make.

This sounds pretty serious and imo needs medical attention immediatly.
theres always a second oppinion, go and see another quack, and if ur havin suicidal thoughts for gods sake go to the suicide help megathread here and post for some help. I'm truly sorry ur in such a shitty situation<3

Do you feel that the medication was helpful at all? And are you supervised during your taper?

If reducing your meds is creating suicidal symptoms then it is certainly a process that should be done under professional supervision.

The tapering is under supervision of my doctor. I didn't have any symptoms of anything before I was put on it imo.

Ignant, have you ever experienced any hallucinations and Delusions? It sounds questionable that you would be diagnosed with schizophrenia without ever having had them?

I think it is important that you tell your docter about the suicidal thoughts etc it is a serious matter and it should be made known to him/her? Perhaps there is a reason why you feel you cant tell?
Let us know how it goes for you?
<3

^No. Thats why I question the diagnosis to, all ive had is negative symptoms even off medication.
I haven't told my doctor because I want to know what its like not to be perpetually sedated and medicated.

It can be difficult, when you were put on a particular medication to treat particular symptoms, to distinguish withdrawal effects from re-emergence of symptoms. Olanzepine - as far as I know - doesn't have any actal 'withdrawal' or discontinuation syndrome, but, even if you did not have the effects you were now experiencing before taking it, I think it's likely that a person would feel more anxious and depressed coming off something as sedating as olanzepine. It also has - like most anti-psychotics, I think - dopaminergic effects and this may explain the depression.

Either way you've done something incredible, and something most people never do or have to do, in getting down off such a potent med. Congrats.

Mate i was nearly diagnosed scizophrenic but got advocacy and was reccomended to be on olanzapine for at least a year. I was in the same position as you, sleeping all day, gagging for a drink because a smoke sent me on the shivers, and not able to get anything done or even talk to people. I came off the medication after snorting it with my friends, and they told me and presented the symptoms I had struggled with while on the medication. Symptoms persisted for about two months, went through loads of stress around whether I'd made the right decision, then BAM I'm fine. Absolutely fine, can concentrate again and away from the 'help' I learnt to re-integrate myself friends and my workload. My advice would be to make the decision for yourself, not for the doctors records.

And man you should maybe consider Advocacy and the affect of people you come into contact with and the affects of Expressed Emotion. Doesn't sound like you deserve your diagnosis.

^No. Thats why I question the diagnosis to, all ive had is negative symptoms even off medication.
I haven't told my doctor because I want to know what its like not to be perpetually sedated and medicated.

I've been where you are. Now is the time to talk to your doctor about the symptoms you're having. They may or may not be related to coming off the Zyprexa (although I would suspect that they would be), or they may be the emergence of a major depressive episode (Zyprexa is also a very effective anti-depressant). Don't withhold information from your doctor because you're afraid of being labeled, rather, share that concern with your psychiatrist. Ask him or her to explain how that diagnosis was reached (not all schizophrenics experience delusional thinking), your concerns about medications (which those of us with a mental illness always have--you should see my pill tray) and for help with your current suicidal thoughts, which are very real and need treatment.