• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Oil pulling?

Draven26

Bluelighter
https://draxe.com/oil-pulling-coconut-oil/

^^ So this is apparently really popular and everyone keeps talking about it. I bought some Organic Coconut Oil and will be doing this tomorrow with my wife. Just wanted to know your opinions on it and was wondering if anyone else has tried it and what their results were. I just want to get rid of the scratchiness in the back of my throat. It's due to my past meth use. Yeah I smoked it, slammed it, did lines, but I ate it most of the time so I'm sure it's my lungs that are screwed but I can still sing pretty damn well! Just wanted to know if it actually clears your throat, helps your teeth and can actually whiten your teeth because even though my teeth are white.. I feel like they can never be white enough.. although my wife disagrees. I've gotten pretty lucky because even though I used methamphetamine in the past.. I still have a great smile.. I have all my pearly whites but I just feel like my teeth are thin and I want them to feel healthy and I wouldn't mind seeing if this oil pulling method actually gets all the gunk out of your mouth. This customer says her husband does it every morning before work and he feels ten times better.. not just his mouth but his insides and everything. Any truth to this or is it just over hyped?

I think there's something to it as far as cleaning your teeth as different cultures have done it, but other than that I don't know.

Vegetable oils are usually pretty poor solvents. They're not very toxic to bacteria (on short-term contact at least) either. They may dissolve and carry some lipids out of your mouth, but as far as thorough cleaning of the mouth, you'd be better off using a water-polar organic solvent mixture, such as water-ethanol (I think things such as Listerine are among those). I'm not sure if isopropanol is used that often, but it's an excellent disinfectant, relatively non-toxic, and with a pretty agreeable taste. Generally using a water-alcohol mixture would be easiest way of cleaning your mouth of bad stuffs, because it kills bacteria very well, helps dissolve a lot of different compounds that don't normally dissolve in pure water, and is non-toxic. I believe oil pulling is another one of those alternative medicine practices that has questionable efficacy.

If you want to benefit from using coconut (or olive) oil, you are better off actually ingesting it. Those things contain useful nutrients and other stuff. Topical use may be beneficial as well. As long as it gets absorbed into the organism (either through skin or stomach).

Acetone is a great solvent, has a pretty mild taste, but it may be too irritating to the mucous membranes due to it having pretty good solubility properties.

My lady used to do the whole coconut oil pulling thing, and as far as I observed her, it didn't do jack. Pure placebo.

If you want to clean your teeth, use a toothbrush and fluoridated toothpaste. For additional cleansing of the mouth, use an alcohol-water solution (Listerine or some).

I only wanted to do it because I've got a scratchy throat and phlegm due to past drug use ( meth ) and nicotine smoke. I don't do neither but I figured what the hell.. give it a try!

There are studies that show oil pulling helps eradicate s. mutans and other negative mouth germs. But how much eradication for how much effort? Oil pulling is often suggested to be done vigorously, for twenty minutes to a half hour. A toothpaste with xylitol or an antiseptic like clorhexadrine is likely going to help more with s. mutans and other culprits.

And oil pulling in ayurveda is about a quasi-mystical sort of detoxing. I don't believe oil pulling is going to help get toxins out in any significant sort of way. I'm open to evidence though should there be any.

I've tried it, and while I think most of the health claims are total BS (some can't even be backed up by logic, let alone science), it DID whiten my teeth and seem to improve my oral health. I guess indirectly it would be beneficial to overall health because of how crucial oral health is, but so is flossing. Oil pulling does feel and taste pretty gross, but after seeing this I honestly might get back into doing it a few times a week. It worked as well as if not better than whitening strips to remove surface stains, I didn't stick to it long enough to see if it'd remove deeper stains. I don't think you really need to do it for 20 minutes like I've seen recommended, 5-10 minutes should still be beneficial.

By the way, I used coconut oil which is known to have anti-fungal (and also anti-bacterial, I think) properties, so that's probably a reason why it was effective. If you're into natural remedies, activated charcoal is the best quick-fix whitener I've tried.

I've tried it, and while I think most of the health claims are total BS (some can't even be backed up by logic, let alone science), it DID whiten my teeth and seem to improve my oral health. I guess indirectly it would be beneficial to overall health because of how crucial oral health is, but so is flossing. Oil pulling does feel and taste pretty gross, but after seeing this I honestly might get back into doing it a few times a week. It worked as well as if not better than whitening strips to remove surface stains, I didn't stick to it long enough to see if it'd remove deeper stains. I don't think you really need to do it for 20 minutes like I've seen recommended, 5-10 minutes should still be beneficial.

By the way, I used coconut oil which is known to have anti-fungal (and also anti-bacterial, I think) properties, so that's probably a reason why it was effective. If you're into natural remedies, activated charcoal is the best quick-fix whitener I've tried.

Yeah my dad was telling me about the charcoal method for teeth whitening. Well my teeth are really white lol my wife has to comment on them all the time. But I wouldn't mind a natural teeth whitener because baking soda didn't do crap in the past and it only ruined my enamel if anything and now my teeth feel more sensitive. Yeah I have organic coconut oil and like I said I don't have bad breath or anything.. it was mainly to get rid of the scratchy throat from my past nicotine smoke and meth use. I didn't smoke the meth as much as I took it orally but it's all the same. The drug is disgusting and one evil bitch is all I have to say!