• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

o·pi·oid and o·pi·ate

patte4dm

Bluelighter
So whats the diffference between the two? I hear everyone call them opiates and I'v seen threads trying to explain why the real name of them is opiods.

o·pi·oid /ˈoʊpiˌɔɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[oh-pee-oid] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun Biochemistry, Pharmacology.
1. any opiumlike substance.
2. any of a group of natural substances, as the endorphins, produced by the body in increased amounts in response to stress and pain.
3. any of several synthetic compounds, as methadone, having effects similar to natural opium alkaloids and their derivatives.
–adjective
4. pertaining to such a substance.

o·pi·ate (ō'pē-ĭt, -āt') Pronunciation Key
n.

1. Any of various sedative narcotics containing opium or one or more of its natural or synthetic derivatives.
2. A drug, hormone, or other chemical substance having sedative or narcotic effects similar to those containing opium or its derivatives: a natural brain opiate. Also called opioid.

3. Something that dulls the senses and induces relaxation or torpor.

adj.

1. Containing opium or any of its derivatives.
2. Resembling opium or its derivatives in activity.
2. Inducing sleep or sedation; soporific.
3. Causing dullness or apathy; deadening.

Generally, I believe that opiates are derived from natural substances, and opioids are totally synthetic.

Opiate is derived from opium, opioid is opiate like ie synthetic and never been anywhere near a poppy

I posted my own little shtick on it in DB a while ago:

Naloxone and Naltrexone are both Opiates. They both retain structural-cores that are found in opium, thus they are opiate. This means that naloxone and even thebaine are opiates.

An Opioid is something that does something to opioid receptors but does not necesarily bear relation to opium. That is why it is an opioid. This means that anything from Meperidine to fentanyl to Salvinorin-A are opioids.

It is not a matter of pharmacology - it is a matter of grammar, actually.

More examples:

Humans and apes are different but they share a common ancestor - therefore they are primates.

Goblins have human features but aren't related to humans, therefore they are humanoids

In other words, all Opiates are opioids, but not vice-versa.

all opiates are opiods, but not all opiods are opiates, morphine, thebain, and codiene and all of there derivatives are opiates, opiods include all of the above and fully synthetics also completely natural chems (ie; Salvinorin A) basically chemical that acts on any opiod receptor is an opiod. the distinction really isn't all that important.