• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Nymphaea caerulea - ingredients and uses.

rätsch:

preparation and dosage
Six buds or flowers that have already opened and then closed are boiled in water. the
Blossoms are squeezed out in a linen cloth so that their green-brown juice goes into the water.

Medical application
Water lilies were used in ancient Egypt to treat the liver, relieve constipation, fight toxins and regulate urine
prescribed. The petals were used both externally and internally, then primarily as an enema (RÄTSCH 1995: 351 *).

ingredients
»From Nymphea Lotus and Nymphea coeridea [ sic! ] no pharmaceutical properties are known.« (GERMER 1979:
28*) But the leaves and flowers are said to have narcotic properties. According to EMBODEN are in Nymphaea caeridea
probably contain alkaloids (1978). The flowers produce a precious essential oil1,
the aphrodisiac properties
be awarded.

Effect
3 to 6 buds, drunk as a tea, are said to induce hypnotic effects. The decoction begins after about 20 minutes
Act. Muscle tremors and nausea appear first. After that, there is a level-headed calm with changes in the
color perception,
Auditory hallucinations and other changes in auditory perception. The effect lingers
two hours quickly.

1978 - Psychopharmacological Studies on (w)-Nuciferine and Its Hofmann Degradation Product Atherosperminine

Abstract. (-)-Nuciferine and its Hofmann degradation
product atherosperminine showed divergent psychopharmacological
effects. Because nuciferine has been
reported to be a neuroleptic and atherosperminine has
some chemical resemblance to dopamine, they were investigated
for their dopamine-receptor activities. Nuciferine
had a pharmacologic profile of action associated
with dopamine-receptor blockade; i.e., it induced catalepsy,
inhibited spontaneous motor activity, conditioned
avoidance response, amphetamine toxicity and stereotypy.
On the other hand, atherosperminine produced
effects associated with dopamine receptor stimulation,
i.e., stereotypy, increase in spontaneous motor
activity and amphetamine toxicity, reversal of
haloperidol-induced catalepsy and inhibition of conditioned
avoidance response, inhibition of morphine
analgesia, and potentiation of the anticonvulsant action
of diphenylhydantoin. The results are discussed on
the basis of the chemical configuration of the two
compounds.

whole paper about traditional uses and history of the plant:

1978 - The Sacred Narcotic Lily of the Nile Nymphaea caerulea

2005 - Comparative phytochemical analysis of four Mexican Nymphaea species

2005-Comparative-phytochemical-analysis-of-four-Mexican-Nymphaea-species.jpg

Abstract
Four Mexican Nymphaea species, N. ampla, N. pulchella, N. gracilis and N. elegans belonging to subgenera Brachyceras were
analyzed. In this work two 5-glycosyl isoflavones, 7,30,40-trihydroxy-5-O-b-D-(200-acetyl)-xylopyranosylisoflavone (1) and 7,30,40-trihydroxy-
5-O-a-L-rhamnopyranosylisoflavone (2), were isolated from N. ampla and N. pulchella, respectively, together with other
known 3-glycosyl flavones and triterpene saponins from the same four species. The structures were elucidated by 1D and 2D
NMR, FABMS, and other spectroscopic analyses. These results confirmed that the four species were different from each other
and established that N. pulchella represents a different taxa than N. ampla. In addition, the 5-glycosyl isoflavones could be considered
as a taxonomic character of this group of plants.

2008 - Antioxidant constituents of Nymphaea caerulea flowers

2008-Antioxidant-constituents-of-Nymphaea-caerulea-flowers.jpg

As part of an ongoing search for antioxidants from medicinal plants, 20 constituents were isolated from
the Nymphaea caerulea flowers, including two 2S,3S,4S-trihydroxypentanoic acid (1), and myricetin 3-O-
(30 0-O-acetyl)-a-L-rhamnoside (2), along with the known myricetin 3-O-a-L-rhamnoside (3), myricetin 3-
O-b-D-glucoside (4), quercetin 3-O-(30 0-O-acetyl)-a-L-rhamnoside (5), quercetin 3-O-a-L-rhamnoside (6),
quercetin 3-O-b-D-glucoside (7), kaempferol 3-O-(30 0-O-acetyl)-a-L-rhamnoside (8), kaempferol 3-O-b-Dglucoside
(9), naringenin (10), (S)-naringenin 5-O-b-D-glucoside (11), isosalipurposide (12), b-sitosterol
(13), b-sitosterol palmitate (14), 24-methylenecholesterol palmitate (15), 4a-methyl-5a-ergosta-
7,24(28)-diene-3b,4b-diol (16), ethyl gallate (17), gallic acid (18), p-coumaric acid (19), and 4-methoxybenzoic
acid (20). The structures were determined by spectroscopic means. Compounds were tested for
antioxidant activity and nine compounds 2–7, 11, 12 and 18 were considered active with IC50 of 1.16, 4.1,
0.75, 1.7, 1.0, 0.34, 11.0, 1.7 and 0.95 lg/ml, respectively, while 1 was marginally active (IC50 > 31.25 lg/
ml). The most promising activity was found in the EtOAc fraction (IC50 0.2 lg/ml). This can be attributed
to the synergistic effect of the compounds present in it.

2009 - The sacred lotus (Nelumbo nucifera)– phytochemical and therapeutic profile

Conclusions
Different parts of N. nucifera, including the leaves, rhizomes,
seeds and flowers, have been reported to have therapeutic
potential in traditional medicine for the treatment of various
diseases. Pharmacological activities of different extracts of
rhizomes, seeds, leaves and flowers, and the compounds
isolated from these extracts, have been demonstrated through
numerous in-vitro and in-vivo test models. These include
antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, anti-arrhythmic,
antipyretic, anti-ischaemic, anti-diabetic, hypoglycaemic, antidiarrhoeal,
immunomodulatory and other activities. The
responsible bioactive compounds belong to several chemical
groups; mostly they are alkaloids (like dauricine, lotusine,
nuciferine, liensinine, roemerine, neferine, armepavine),
flavonoids (like kaempferol, quercetin, leucocyanidin, leucodelphinidin,
catechin, isoquercitrin, astragalin), glycosides
(nelumboroside A, nelumboroside B, isorhamnetin glycoside
and isorhamnetin rutinoside), triterpenoid (like betulinic acid),
vitamins and minerals. Thus, the pharmacological effects and
various active ingredients of different parts of N. nucifera are
well understood. This review highlights several pharmacological
and phytochemical studies that have demonstrated the
therapeutic potential of N. nucifera. This needs to be explored
further through clinical studies on human volunteers to
provide evidence-based therapeutics.

2016 - In Vitro and In Vivo Characterization of the Alkaloid Nuciferine

Abstract
Rationale
The sacred lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) contains many phytochemicals and has a history of
human use. To determine which compounds may be responsible for reported psychotropic
effects, we used in silico predictions of the identified phytochemicals. Nuciferine, an alkaloid
component of Nelumbo nucifera and Nymphaea caerulea, had a predicted molecular profile
similar to antipsychotic compounds. Our study characterizes nuciferine using in vitro and in
vivo pharmacological assays.
Methods
Nuciferine was first characterized in silico using the similarity ensemble approach, and was
followed by further characterization and validation using the Psychoactive Drug Screening
Program of the National Institute of Mental Health. Nuciferine was then tested in vivo in the
head-twitch response, pre-pulse inhibition, hyperlocomotor activity, and drug discrimination
paradigms.
Results
Nuciferine shares a receptor profile similar to aripiprazole-like antipsychotic drugs. Nuciferine
was an antagonist at 5-HT2A, 5-HT2C, and 5-HT2B, an inverse agonist at 5-HT7, a partial
agonist at D2, D5 and 5-HT6, an agonist at 5-HT1A and D4 receptors, and inhibited the dopamine
transporter. In rodent models relevant to antipsychotic drug action, nuciferine blocked
head-twitch responses and discriminative stimulus effects of a 5-HT2A agonist, substituted
for clozapine discriminative stimulus, enhanced amphetamine induced locomotor activity,
inhibited phencyclidine (PCP)-induced locomotor activity, and rescued PCP-induced disruption
of prepulse inhibition without induction of catalepsy.
Conclusions
The molecular profile of nuciferine was similar but not identical to that shared with several
approved antipsychotic drugs suggesting that nuciferine has atypical antipsychotic-like
actions.

paper roll:

1978 - Psychopharmacological Studies on (w)-Nuciferine and Its Hofmann Degradation Product Atherosperminine.pdf
1978 . The Sacred Narcotic Lily of the Nile Nymphaea caerulea.pdf
1994 - Effects of aporphine isomers on rat prolactin.pdf
2005 - Comparative phytochemical analysis of four Mexican Nymphaea species.pdf
2008 - Antioxidant constituents of Nymphaea caerulea flowers.pdf
2009 - The sacred lotus (Nelumbo nucifera)- phytochemical and therapeutic profile.pdf
2010 - the early dynastic origin of the water lily motif.pdf
2016 - In Vitro and In Vivo Characterization of the Alkaloid Nuciferine.pdf

As I see that there aren't many (none?) threads about blue lilly/lotus, and considering that my experience is STILL limited with it, I've decided to put in this thread my experience with the plant, or well, with Nuciferine alkaloids and Aporphine, as I have used both Nelumbo Nucifera and Nymphaea Ceruleae.

My most interesting experience was when I mixed Damiana with Klip Dagga and Nelumbo resin. It was quite similar to cannabis but also quite different, more "static" and dreamy, but less euphoric or psychedelic.

Before this I had consumed poor quality flowers of nymphaea ceruleae in tea...
Very disappointing. I spoke to @Kaleida about this and she told me that maybe the kratom could have messed with Nymphaea's high, as Nymphaea's high is very subtle and some actives of kratom hit the same receptors (D2).
Other experiments smoking Nelumbo stamens, Nelumbo resin with other plants or Nymphaea flowers were also quite disappointing...

My last attempt has been to put many grams (15? ) of Nymphaea plus 10-15g of Nelumbo stamens in a mason jar and cover it with red wine, of two different types, oh well, that's what was there at the time...

I have left the wine in the jug for more than a month, I have stirred it, but not every day. The result is a wine that is somewhat redder and denser than normal, with a somewhat stronger smell and a rather vinegary taste, probably because I have left it for too long and have not refrigerated it. In this sense it has been a mistake, but it could be drunk without much trouble. It didn't taste bitter like I've seen elsewhere.

The effects may have been due to the alcohol, but in my opinion they were somewhat different, and not the alcohol, as one of my Nymphaea teas (the one that produced some effects) had similar effects, although less intense and less interesting.
Normally the wine leaves a feeling of fast, warm and not clear-headed euphoria. In this case, the euphoria was less, but more all-encompassing, longer lasting (2-3 hours), more opioid-like and clear-headed, and with a headspace similar to that of benzodiazepines with a small degree of enhancement similar to that of very little. marijuana (sativa).
There was a very interesting feeling of peace, there were also some moments of high eroticism, I got horny for at least 30-40 minutes, and it would have been a very interesting high to do something as a couple...
The experience was too dreamy and the feeling of peace too "silent" to be placebo or simply alcohol. To tell the truth, it hardly seemed to me like a couple of glasses of wine, which would have left me in a very different mental and physical state. Perhaps the vinegar of the wine made the alcohol disappear (and also some actives'??), I have no idea.

It was an interesting experience, I'll try to do better another time, with a better source and with more care to avoid vinegar-ism, maybe leaving it for 3 weeks instead of 5-6 and refrigerated... I'll invite some interested/ing girl to Egyptian wine:hehe::hypno:
I am now 7 days without kratom and I think that has affected the experience quite positively.

Last edited:
Oh, by the way, in another thread I talked about feeling high while driving and singing. Something that it has happent to me several times but normally not to the point of today's feelings, very powerful and almost dizzying (like when you get dizzy by the effects of a-php or other cathinone's dopamine firing).
I was thinking that maybe it's because of quitting kratom (6 days off) but I don't think that makes sense.

Now that I'm reading this I think it could be related with some positive dopamine upregulation by the lotus wine??
I've found this in Wikipedia:

"In his Deposition: Testimony Concerning a Sickness in the introduction to later editions of Naked Lunch (first published in 1959), William S. Burroughs wrote that apomorphine treatment was the only effective cure to opioid addiction he has encountered:

"The apomorphine cure is qualitatively different from other methods of cure. I have tried them all. Short reduction, slow reduction, cortisone, antihistamines, tranquilizers, sleeping cures, tolserol, reserpine. None of these cures lasted beyond the first opportunity to relapse. ued and only used in case of relapse."I can say that I was never metabolically cured until I took the apomorphine cure... The doctor, John Yerbury Dent, explained to me that apomorphine acts on the back brain to regulate the metabolism and normalize the blood stream in such a way that the enzyme stream of addiction is destroyed over a period of four to five days. Once the back brain is regulated apomorphine can be discontinued and only used in case of relapse""

So perhaps it has something to do with the unusual feelings of satisfaction today? I also felt that the coffee hit stronger than usual.