• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Now that I'm stable....

Opiatehell85

Bluelighter
Hey everyone, I'm on my fifth week of subutex detox for a painkiller addiction, was only codeine prosphate but in the region of anywhere between 900mg-1500mg a day, I tried CT but failed many times and needed professional help. So anyway....I was taking painkillers for three years for hip dysplasia, would get my scripts from both GP and online sources. Now that the detox clinic have said I'm stable it's time to start thinking about pain relief, because it hasn't magically disappeared unfortunately, in fact it worse than ever, even tho bupe is supposed to help pain. I'm on 10mg daily and have a GP appointment for tomorrow pm to ask the doctor for advice, obviously I can't have anything opiate based as it wouldn't work, and I'm allergic to NSAIDs. Was just wondering if anyone would have any advice on what to ask for, I've tried gabapentin it does nothing except help restless legs. I'm in the UK so I know drugs differ from country to country. Thanks in advance xoxo

There is a plant in the same family as coffee called kratom that I used for pain. There is a lot of people who have had success with it like I did. Do some research ;) A few states have banned it.

Last edited:
Prednisone or dexamethasone may help your hip pain by decreasing the inflammation at the site of the dysplasia. It's typically prescribed in tapering "burst" doses instead of continuous adminstration because of long term side effects but can be very useful for bad flare ups.

If the pain is site specific, topical ketoprofen or diclofenac gel can offer some relief, especially at joint sites.

You should be able to use tramadol as needed with buprenorphine as it works on different receptors. Just be careful as it still has potential for addiction.

Duloxetine (Cymbalta) has shown pain relieving attributes in addition to treating depression, especially widespread muscle pain.

If gabapentin did not work well for you, similar medications to try for nerve pain include amitriptyline and pregabalin.

The best option for chronic pain with a history of addiction, especially neurogenic pain, is actually methadone. If you find down the road that your pain is still not managed while on the buprenorphine you may want to consider switching.

Having a dual-diagnosis of addiction and chronic disease is very difficult and can be exceptionally stressful to deal with. Keep your spirits up as best you can and remember to utilize as many non-pharmacologic pain relieving techniques (heat, ice, rest, stretching, meditating, massage, Epsom salt soaks, reiki, acupressure/acupuncture, guided imagery, capsacin/menthol rubs, staying hydrated, getting plenty of sleep, mild exercise, etc.) as possible in addition to whatever your doctor decides to try. PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) and rebound pain can make pain levels initially worse than prior to addiction so sometimes it's just a matter of needing time for your neurochemistry to reset before pain levels begin to revert to pre-addiction levels, barring physical progression or worsening of your individual medical condition.

Let us know what your doctor recommends and how it's working for you. Great job sticking with your program!

Have you tried cannabis for pain relief?

Hey :)

im really rubbish with cannabis, it makes me really sick, but think I had too much the first time. I'm up for trying the oil tho if I can get hold of it.

i have Kratom here, I'm still yet to go above 2g as I'm a little nervous about it. Does it work well for pain relief?

Prednisone or dexamethasone may help your hip pain by decreasing the inflammation at the site of the dysplasia. It's typically prescribed in tapering "burst" doses instead of continuous adminstration because of long term side effects but can be very useful for bad flare ups.

If the pain is site specific, topical ketoprofen or diclofenac gel can offer some relief, especially at joint sites.

You should be able to use tramadol as needed with buprenorphine as it works on different receptors. Just be careful as it still has potential for addiction.

Duloxetine (Cymbalta) has shown pain relieving attributes in addition to treating depression, especially widespread muscle pain.

If gabapentin did not work well for you, similar medications to try for nerve pain include amitriptyline and pregabalin.

The best option for chronic pain with a history of addiction, especially neurogenic pain, is actually methadone. If you find down the road that your pain is still not managed while on the buprenorphine you may want to consider switching.

Having a dual-diagnosis of addiction and chronic disease is very difficult and can be exceptionally stressful to deal with. Keep your spirits up as best you can and remember to utilize as many non-pharmacologic pain relieving techniques (heat, ice, rest, stretching, meditating, massage, Epsom salt soaks, reiki, acupressure/acupuncture, guided imagery, capsacin/menthol rubs, staying hydrated, getting plenty of sleep, mild exercise, etc.) as possible in addition to whatever your doctor decides to try. PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) and rebound pain can make pain levels initially worse than prior to addiction so sometimes it's just a matter of needing time for your neurochemistry to reset before pain levels begin to revert to pre-addiction levels, barring physical progression or worsening of your individual medical condition.

Let us know what your doctor recommends and how it's working for you. Great job sticking with your program!

Thanks for ur detailed reply, and Thankyou I'm proud of myself although finding cravings really hard.
ill let you know how my appt goes, I'm hoping we can come to some kind of solution as it is indeed a little tricky to prescribe when I have history of addiction, I have tried pregablin, found it useful but suffered awful nightmares so my dr took me off it, I might ask for it again.

Thanks everyone.

I take kratom for pain because I have a liver condition that makes it so I can't take NSAIDS. Kratom is best for me when made into a tea. I take ~7g split throughout the day.

I would do some research on the subject because there are quite a few vendors selling snake oil out there and finding a good vendor supplying a good product is tantamount to success.

Hey :)

im really rubbish with cannabis, it makes me really sick, but think I had too much the first time. I'm up for trying the oil tho if I can get hold of it.

i have Kratom here, I'm still yet to go above 2g as I'm a little nervous about it. Does it work well for pain relief?

I would recommend giving cannabis another try because it is not an opioid, and it also has anti-inflammatory properties. Do some research, I'm not an expert on cannabis - perhaps CBD oil is what you need, or another strain or whatever.

Kratom would be another option, but it's an opioid so that's a problem. You'd need to get off buprenorphine for it to work at all, I imagine. As another poster suggested, methadone is a good option as well, and it has a long half-life too. But again, it's an opioid, and opioids are not the best option for long-term pain management, it's just a timed bomb waiting to go off.

Talk to your doctor. You have a legitimate problem.

Kratom is a weak opioid so it wouldn't work on 10mgs of suboxone, not only theoretically but this has been my experience as well.

Thanks guys, I'm giving amitryptiline a try for now, if no success after a week then I'm going back on pregablin. In all honesty methadone scares the shit out of me, I really don't want to go down that road, I didn't even want buprenophine at first but there was no other way out for me and I'm actually doing really well on it. Just this bastard pain now that I'm finding hard to deal with. I'm hoping once I'm off the bupe then I'll be able to occasionally take opiates again for pain, but right now in my frame of mind I know I can't. I'm still wanting them too much so would b a recipe for disaster. I do have Kratom here at home, I bought it from a reputable vendor so I know it's good stuff, I'm just too scared to try it properly. I mean I sobbed my heart out at the pharmacy when they made me take my first sub, I'm a wimp. Hard situation tho, and thanks for all advice, means a lot :)

Hope the amitriptyline works well for you! It has the added benefit of decreasing insomnia/restless legs at night which can frequently be a problem after opiate withdrawal. If your pain is manageable on non-opiod medications all the better, especially so soon into recovery. Very glad to hear you're doing well on the buprenorphine. I have chronic pain and addiction as well and I know how hard it can be to stay away from using when the pain gets very bad. Hang in there!

These are excellent, caring ideas. Hip resurfacing is another option for correcting hip dysplasia in adults. It is a type of hip replacement that preserves more bone, and may work for younger hip dysplasia patients. In my younger years when I had a serious problem, a doctor would give me all the options he could but the only question I had was, "What kind of drugs can you prescribe for me?" Then, when I was serious about staying clean, surgery and pain meds would de-rail me. May God smile on you and your problem.(when I

Hope the amitriptyline works well for you! It has the added benefit of decreasing insomnia/restless legs at night which can frequently be a problem after opiate withdrawal. If your pain is manageable on non-opiod medications all the better, especially so soon into recovery. Very glad to hear you're doing well on the buprenorphine. I have chronic pain and addiction as well and I know how hard it can be to stay away from using when the pain gets very bad. Hang in there!

It sucks doesn't it, I only became addicted because of pain, liked the way opiates made me feel and it went from there until I got myself in this mess, I'm not the first and won't be the last but sometimes I feel like I'm gonna forever be on opiates because of the pain. The bupe has been my lifesaver so far tho, I'm thankful for that. Hope you're managing ok too.

It should. Methadone withdrawal is not a joke.

Try exploring different non-opioid options and see what works and what doesn't, and report back of course.

exactly! And I couldn't cope with codeine withdrawal so I'm staying well clear of methadone, got a feeling this bupe reduction is gonna be bad enough! Yeah I'll keep u updated of course, feeling so so today, would feel great if I wasn't in pain !!

These are excellent, caring ideas. Hip resurfacing is another option for correcting hip dysplasia in adults. It is a type of hip replacement that preserves more bone, and may work for younger hip dysplasia patients. In my younger years when I had a serious problem, a doctor would give me all the options he could but the only question I had was, "What kind of drugs can you prescribe for me?" Then, when I was serious about staying clean, surgery and pain meds would de-rail me. May God smile on you and your problem.(when I

Yeah I'll need hip surgery, I need it now but I'm only 30 and they want me to try and go as long as possible. Thanks for your thoughts I appreciate your kind words :)