nj needle exchange question

swybs

Bluelighter
A friend of mine is reusing needles to the point of ridinkulousness. We both live in nj and, while I have tried to get her needles in New York City at shady pharms, I've never been successful.

In any case, I remember an article saying nj had passed a bill allowing needle exchanges in certain cities (camden, atlantic city, Newark, jersey city, etc). Does anyone know if they are operational? If so, which ones? I googled and couldn't come up with anything. She lives near Newark and works in Newark. Any info would be appreciated (Newark and jersey city are her two only options_other places are too far away-she ordered others but they won't come until next week).

Thanks in advance.
Swybs

I read somewhere that the AC one is up and running and I believe the same is true for the Camden one.

The northern ones, Newark, Trenton, Paterson, etc. are said to be opening up "shortly." At least that's what the articles I read said. Funny how NJ's needle exchange made the Philly papers...

Not sure who you'd call to find out exactly when they open. Maybe a homeless shelter or drop in center.

I know this isn't easy for everyone, but I always tried to find a friend with diabetes for a quick rig.

I think there should be a stickied thread with a list of all the known needle exchanges in different areas. Not sure which board it should go on though. I know it would help a lot of people, so maybe a mod can start it up and we can add to it.

There is a program in Philly called "Prevention Point Philadelphia" if that is doable for this person. Also, NY state has a program in which syringes should be available over the counter in almost any pharmacy. The program is called ESAP.

ESAP Site

Prevention Point Site

You can also mail order boxes of syringes. Try Google.

^^^^^philly ftw. OP search philadelphia needle exchange and you will find the times and locations that the philadelphia needle exchange operates. I am not so sure about NJ but i am assuming that camden would be the first city they would get up and running due to the extreme crime, and if you are going that far jump across the bridge to philly because i have only heard good things about the program....they even give you a car that makes you legally allowed to carry needles (in philly afaik)

swybs said:
A friend of mine is reusing needles to the point of ridinkulousness. We both live in nj and, while I have tried to get her needles in New York City at shady pharms, I've never been successful.

In any case, I remember an article saying nj had passed a bill allowing needle exchanges in certain cities (camden, atlantic city, Newark, jersey city, etc). Does anyone know if they are operational? If so, which ones? I googled and couldn't come up with anything. She lives near Newark and works in Newark. Any info would be appreciated (Newark and jersey city are her two only options_other places are too far away-she ordered others but they won't come until next week).

Thanks in advance.
Swybs
As far as i know man there is no exchange in NJ... Yet. but there is one in manhattan that is quite good. It completely free, they also give you everything you need, water, cotton, bleach, alco, cooker.etc After you first sign up then give you 10 insulin points. After your done you bring them back and they give you 20 new ones, so on and so forth. I know a few people that go to this place and ive heard nothing but good things, they also can help you find a bupe/meth clinic, or a rehab or a detox.

You should really just ask lacey k she mods the "Drug Culture" forum and knows alot about the whole situation in New Jersey

ChemicalSmile said:
you mean gank a quick rig?

no i don't steal them, he always hooks me up with a fresh one as long as I don't ask too often. He's not crazy about what I use them for, but he'd rather know I'm using a new clean one than not, and I don't ask for them more than once every 2 weeks or so. I could easily gank one from him since he just leaves the box out in his room tho...

Here in Chicago there are a few mobile exchanges with all of the necessary stuff to cleanly use whatever. There are a couple that arent mobile. But I have always just gone into my local pharmacy chain and requested them. You need to be specific as if you regularly do it (ie."i need a package of 1cc 18 guage syringes, please"). If they ask, you could be diabetic, vaccinating puppies(youre a breeder), or whatever. Its up to the discretion of the pharmacy tech. Again, that's in the Chicago are, but hope it helps. No matter what, always try to use a clean rig.
-J

Oh, also the legality of it IS NOT GUARANTEED. I have heard stories of people getting caught with clean rigs AND the carry card. The police take the card, tear it up, throw it away, and charged them with posession of the rig. Best to leave them at home and dispose of properly.