• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Nicotine

jungo87

Greenlighter
I have never tried patches, gum, inhalers etc to quit because even though they give you nicotine, I enjoy the sensation of drawing on a cig, I have been thinking though of taking some gum now and then and have the odd day off smoking as i feel as if i'm constantly out of breath if i walk or run too fast. I'm not a heavy smoker but would this method work and has anyone tried it?

yeah it will "work" as in stop nicotine withdrawl, but won't be as good as smoking as part of the pleasure of smoking nicotine is the fast onset via smoking. other methods of absorbtion won't have the "kick" of acually smoking.

Yea the nicotine replacement products will give you the nicotine and decrease your body's biological urge to smoke. You here people say shit like, nicotine is more addictive than heroin and blah blah blah, maybe true, but for most people smoking is just a habit. It's fun to smoke cigarettes, on break, when bored etc. The hardest part is breaking the habit imo, not dealing with the urge to get nicotine. The replacement therapies definitely do help with one aspect though, and make going without cigs more bearable

Yea the nicotine replacement products will give you the nicotine and decrease your body's biological urge to smoke. You here people say shit like, nicotine is more addictive than heroin and blah blah blah, maybe true, but for most people smoking is just a habit. It's fun to smoke cigarettes, on break, when bored etc. The hardest part is breaking the habit imo, not dealing with the urge to get nicotine. The replacement therapies definitely do help with one aspect though, and make going without cigs more bearable

i agree. cigarettes are more of a nasty habit an actual addiction.

people really throw the word "addiction" around too much these days. i mean "sex addiction", "cell phone addiction", people need to remember the difference between habit and addiction.

I think the electronic cigarette that vaporizes nicotine really has potential for smokers trying to quit due to the fact that the nicotine is released just as quickly as it would be when smoking a cigarette, and the electronic cigarette could be used/handled just like a real cigarette. They even have a tobacco flavor available. The electronic cigarette really does the same thing as a cigarette, but without all of the carcinogenic smoke. Not sure of the price, but almost definitely would be worth it.

I enjoy nicotine patches more than e cigs, smokes and have continued to use them off and on since quitting smoking.
snus comes in second as I find the results less reliable, sometimes getting to much.
E lectronic cigs I often tend to chain chasing the right level but somehow always failing, I did well with them for only a short time

Patches win, as far as I am aware only 5% of patch users feel this way.
I'd like to know why, only guessing my biology metabolises nicotine faster than others,
I even manage my patch addiction never using more than one patch, usually less.
Can be good for motivation in exercise to as the hotter I get the more nicotine gets released

Nicotine releases dopamine. MAOIs prevent the breakdown of dopamine among other neurotransmitters. So without the MAOIs that smoked tobacco contains, the high will be different as the released dopamine doesn't "linger" as long. I reccommend it though since you aren't destroying your lungs.

I'm actually really intrigued by the electronic cigarette prospect.

I'm one of those smokers who, and I swear to God this is the truth, it isn't the nicotene that keeps me hooked at all... It's the hand to mouth/oral fixation/whatever you want to call it urge. I am also a shameless nail biter, pen cap chewer etcetcetc.

I have a psychoanalyst friend who contends that this entirely the fault of my mother for not breast-feeding me long enough. Of course, my mother contends that she breast-fed me WELL past the normally acceptable age and that I was obsessed with pacifiers significantly longer than other kids my age, including my siblings.

Evidently I was just born with a fetish for putting stuff in my mouth or something. So yeah. Electronic cigarettes. Seems like a reasonable idea for me.

Maybe you psychoanalyst friend has a point, maybe you should try licking kissing sucking some breasts.

Also I suggest you have photos or videos so to preserve the moment and share with me and BL to further help your obsession to relive the experience.
Thanks XOXOX

Also could try wellbutrin which is a medication that stops the cravings.

Interestingly I have taken ritalin for my ADHD and found that it stopped my cravings quite drastically (It affects dopamine which is the rewards chemical in the brain so makes sense in a way)

since i started doing jogging, push-ups and sit_ups 6 days a week i've been smoking way less... i was at about 30 a day now i'm down to 15-20....

give it a try it might help, but it's a long term course of avtion

I quit smoking awhile ago, now I use that camel snus. Not the same as a cigarette I'll agree, but it seems to knock the edge off and remind me that there is smomthing there.

If you still want the nicotine feel, but want to cut back on inhaled smoke.. Try chewing tobacco. I know most think it "looks" disgusting, but I've enjoyed it for several years now. You definitely feel the nicotine, but it comes on slower and stronger than a cigarette, and lasts much longer. I think it can be quite relaxing.