• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Zealand’s Legalization of Synthetic Drugs Not Influencing U.S.

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
New Zealand’s Legalization of Synthetic Drugs Not Influencing U.S.
Donna Westlund on April 8, 2014.

getimage.php

The remote location of New Zealand means that it does not have drugs continuously flooding into it via smuggling operations, a problem many other parts of the world have to contend with. This fact, however, does not mean the rates of drug abuse are lower than they are in other countries. In fact, as of a 2007/2008 study, drug-use rates in New Zealand were some of the highest in the developed world. The type of drugs that are abused, though, are different. The drugs of choice in New Zealand are synthetic, manufactured locally, and designed to mimic the effects of conventional drugs. These mimics, in New Zealand and other places, operate in a legal grey area because they are not listed as an illegal substances. Therefore, synthetic drugs can be sold online or in convenience stores without limitations, including minimum age requirements. Manufacturers simply label them as a fragrance or similar innocuous substance that is “not for human consumption.” They are called spice, bath salts, or herbal essence. New Zealand has chosen to legalize these drugs in order to regulate them, but the U.S. does not seem inclined to do the same.

Synthetic drugs are a nightmare for drug enforcement agencies. Once they become aware of the existence of a substance that was previously unknown, and the government deems it harmful and adds it to the list of illegal substances, chemists simply modify the composition of the drug ever so slightly in order to move it back into the unknown and therefore legal grey area. In a 2013 report, the U.N. Office on Drugs and Crime described the synthetic drug industry as “hydra-headed” and said that the system for international drug control system is failing because of the creativity and speed with which manufacturers produce new variants of the drugs. New Zealand, with the world’s highest rate of synthetic drug use, lost patience with the game of cat-and-mouse it was playing with drug manufacturers. So, in July of 2013, its parliament passed the Psychoactive Substances Act. It is the first law in the world of its kind, and it regulates the importation, manufacture, and supply of psychoactive substances. Drugs that are already illegal remain illegal. For example, while real cannabis remains illegal there, many of New Zealand’s 47 legal synthetic drugs are presumably synthetic marijuana, given their brand names of Kush Pink, Choco Haze, 4:20, and the like.

Manufacturers in New Zealand who choose to sell their synthetic drugs legally can, provided the drug undergoes and passes tests similar in nature to what new medications have to go through in order to get a government’s stamp of approval. As it is for new medications, the process is not cheap or fast; it takes about a year and about $1.6 million. The Psychoactive Substances Act mandates that approved drugs cannot be sold in supermarkets, convenience stores, or gas stations. This caused the number of legal outlets to go from 4,000 down to 200. Approved drugs can only be sold to people over the age of 18, and advertising is restricted to the point of sale. Harmful products lurking in the legal grey area were removed from the market. Instead of 200 products for sale, there are now 47.

At the recent United Nations Drug Summit in Vienna where the topic of psychoactive substances was an important topic of discussion, attendee Ross Bell of New Zealand Drug Foundation reported that he believes many countries will follow New Zealand’s lead. Indeed, the policy has gotten global attention. But the U.S. and Britain do not seem moved. A group of British parliamentarians proposed adopting a similar policy in 2013, but last month the Home Office said that they had ruled out the licensing of shops selling legal highs. And in the U.S., President Obama signed a federal law in 2012 banning 26 new synthetic substances. While New Zealand’s innovative approach aims to reduce the harm to users, the U.S. continues to play catch up with wily synthetic drug manufacturers.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/04/new-zealands-legalization-of-synthetic-drugs-not-influencing-u-s/

Give it time. Even if the US doesn't follow suit, the widespread legality will make it almost impossible to deny their presence, and eventually the sheer amount of research being done of these chemicals will outshine the dangers for the uninformed.

Man,I hate the term "synthetic drugs".
More or less covers the Pharmaceutical industry's entire catalogue of medications..

Last edited:
Man,I hate the term "synthetic drugs".
More or less covers the entire Pharmaceutical industry's entire catalogue of medications..

I hear ya buddy.

And I don't mean to derail the thread, but it also bothers me when I hear some self-proclaimed guru (who has never personally experienced the drugs he preaches to others about) tell street drug users how their drug of choice is made with "anti-freeze, battery acid, lye, and all sorts of harmful chemicals, man!"

Man! If only they knew some of the precursor chems Big Pharma uses to synthesize many of their best-selling drugs, man!

Yes, the guy (or gal) may have a point with respect to certain batches of your drug of choice being cooked up in a dirty/contaminated lab, using a dirty, contaminated, and/or incomplete process. But there are some surprisingly well-maintained clandestine operations synthesizing various in-demand dandy-candy.

Adulterants, but also impurities in certain batches is why I'm extremely picky nowadays about my semi-synthetic and synthetic drugs of choice. Would rather wait several years for some really good, really pure MDMA and/or MDA instead of buying any/every pill, capsule, or baggie of powder and shards I come across. I don't crave the stuff nearly enough to settle for anything (like I used to). Does that mean I'm still an addict? Oh well...

---------------------------------------------

BTW, I notice that the common sources of info regarding drug laws by nation on the net state that the "bath salts" (MDPV, Methylone, etc.) are illegal in New Zealand, however, I'm wondering if the country's legalization of synthetic drugs has somehow changed this (e.g. convenience stores selling MDPV, Methylone, Mephedrone)?

After seeing how beautiful New Zealand is (Peter Jackson's LOTR and Hobbit films are the best NZ tourism ads I've ever seen, by far), I really wanna visit "Middle-Earth" as I grew up reading J.R.R. Tolkien's LOTR books, and never thought it would have been possible to adapt them into an Oscar-winning live-action screenplay. What a phenomenal achievement by Mr. Jackson and the team who toiled away on the trilogy. I wonder what Cecil B. DeMille would have thought of it?

Personally, I thought Methylone (also known as: bk-mdma, MDMC, M1, Explosion) was probably the closest high I've ever tried in terms of resembling or mimicking the effects of a typical recreational dose of MDMA.

In fact, the first time I used it, I was just about convinced that I had ingested a low-end recreational dose of MDMA.

Also, the comedown is remarkably gentle - for me anyways, it was.

Dr. Shulgin is correct though when he wrote about its effects - namely that it doesn't possess "the unique magic of MDMA."

With respect to negative or adverse side effects from Methylone use - the most noticeable effect for me was the sweating - especially later on.

After chasing the high for several hours, my shirt became quite damp, to put it mildly. I can see how this might be dangerous to certain individuals. Thanks to harm reduction websites - most notably Bluelight (I'm serious, don't mean to kiss ass here) - I knew to keep myself hydrated using a beverage which would also aid in keeping my electrolytes balanced, such as Gatorade.

-----------------------------------

You know, BL may be the internet's greatest collective source of intimate knowledge and experience relating to recreational drug use. I wonder if the site's creators had ever envisioned Bluelight being such an enormous bastion of harm reduction-oriented information on mind-altering substances. And the best part is that much of the information is contributed by remarkably intelligent people with formal and first-hand experiences. For me, you can't beat that. Well done Bluelighters. Sincerely well-fucking-done indeed =D

Edit - I'm not high =D

Last edited:
^ good call man. I imagine without this resource the whole novel psychoactive substances scene would be completely different to the one we have today; most likely a lot more dangerous and haphazard.

I know someone who was in a couple of The Lord of the Rings films (Id rather not disclose too much more than that - someone dear to me, lets just say) and it does indeed look like a magical land. I'm only a continent and the Tasman sea away from there, but have not made it over there as yet.
My understanding is that most research chemicals are still mostly banned in NZ, but the government are overseeing of undertaking fairly rigorous testing to determine the safety of compounds before approving them for consumption or sale.
I'm not sure of the legal status of beta ketone analogues or cathinones more generally.
The whole class of drugs does seem to have picked up a bad reputation (for various reasons).

Basically the nz govt are doing what all right-thinking nation states should be doing in looking at reforming all drug laws - looking at their potential for harm as objectively and scientifically as possible. i guess political considerations (with global scope) restrict them from doing the same with - say, cannabis- but as many people have pointed out, it's a major step in the right direction.

Does this mean they can still get MDPV and mephedrone in New Zealand?

I don't think so.
Drugs that are already illegal remain illegal. For example, while real cannabis remains illegal there, many of New Zealand’s 47 legal synthetic drugs are presumably synthetic marijuana, given their brand names of Kush Pink, Choco Haze, 4:20, and the like

Yup.
Why not just legalise cannabis? I'm confused by the whole thing.
'Tis a crazy world we live in.

The title was pretty exciting, until I realized that it was an old story and seemed to be entirely about “spice”, aka the one thing I wouldn’t consume even if someone gave it to me for free

Yeah reading that i was like wtf. I really am looking to get out of the uk. I hate our stupid laws.