• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos New psychiatrist wsnts to halve my Valium dose in half

kjemiker

Greenlighter
I have been on 30mg Valium 10mg.3x a day for 10 months. My new psychiatrist only prescribes 5mg 3x a day.

My questions are: how do I convince him I need 30mg a day and halving that to 15mg a day is a massive cut. Will I face withdrawals? He's a good psychiatrist but only prescribes the 2nd highest dose. His 3 benzos are Ativan 1mg 3x a day, and Klonopin 1mg 3x a day. And of course Valium 5mg 3x a day.

I like him because he's benzo friendly and also has me on Temazepam 30mg at bedtime. He prescribes the highest dose for sleep but not for daytime anxiety? Makes no sense.

Anyway, how do I convince him? I'm afraid of withdrawals. I see him tomorrow so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have been on 30mg Valium 10mg.3x a day for 10 months. My new psychiatrist only prescribes 5mg 3x a day.

My questions are: how do I convince him I need 30mg a day and halving that to 15mg a day is a massive cut. Will I face withdrawals? He's a good psychiatrist but only prescribes the 2nd highest dose. His 3 benzos are Ativan 1mg 3x a day, and Klonopin 1mg 3x a day. And of course Valium 5mg 3x a day.

I like him because he's benzo friendly and also has me on Temazepam 30mg at bedtime. He prescribes the highest dose for sleep but not for daytime anxiety? Makes no sense.

Anyway, how do I convince him? I'm afraid of withdrawals. I see him tomorrow so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Well perhaps you can tell that once you tried taking half your dose for a week or so and experienced withdrawal symptoms, and are concerned it will happen again, etc.

Yeah a 50% reduction will probably produce wirhdwaks. Your doctor should know that but sadly a lot of doctors know less real knowledge of drugs than experienced drug users. I think negrogesic had a good idea, say you tried taking half your dose for a day and you felt horrible, and see if they’ll taper you down slowly

Thank you guys for the suggestions and advice. I'll advocate to stay at 30mg daily because it kills my anxiety much better. 10mg tab is far better than 5mg. I don't feel any relief at all on that dose. Might be like a placebo.

I'll see what he says and go from there. I'll come back tomorrow and reply what he said.

Thank ya'll again! Take care.

Its really not that bad reducing because of the half life
I was on / off diazepam for 30 years

Sometimes 50 mg
sometimes 10
Last legit script was for 3 years
maybe my withdrawals werent as bad because I took it for so many years?

Seems like it would be the opposite

But I think its mostly in your head ...I think youll be fine

Thanks ya'll for your great replies and wisdom. It is highly appreciated. You guys are helpful and I greatly appreciate all of your expertise. You've been very helpful and have given great advice.
I decided to switch to Klonopin 1mg 3x a day. It is far more potent than Valium. In fact, 1mg dose had me stumbling around like a drunk person. Like holy shit that shit is strong AF. I gotta say my anxiety is officially annihilated.

I didn't want to come of benzos. I plan to use K-pin as an absolute last resort. I have hydroxyzine I'll use as a first line of defense.

I've been taking benzos for 4 years so I'm definitely dependent. I'll use K-pins sparingly, but enough to avoid withdrawals.

Thanks again for all the comments. You guys are very knowledgeable and help you.

Thank you.